Menu

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. ALL USERS PLEASE READ

Eliana, I saved a copy of your FLL post, but it was the 2003 version. Oh, how I wish I had saved your poetry post! If it turns up, will you share it again? :001_smile:

I also posted the correct version of The Caterpillar in a discussion about FLL, but that, too, is very, very old, and I haven't been able to find the thread.

• Like 2

But if you search for .jpg what you get are links to photos & yesterday SWB said links are fine. Just not embedded photos..... That's how I understood it :huh: :confused1:

Links are fine, but I also found embedded photos this way as it picks up the coding of the picture.

• Like 1

What should be done about avatars of people no longer posting that are clearly licensed characters or otherwise copyright violations? Reporting members feels weird, especially after all the discussion about trigger-happy overreporters.

SWB said to report them - she'd rather see them that way. Look at it this way, you're not really "reporting" them, you're identifying them for SWB. 

Reporting does nothing other than notify the moderators to look at something, no one else will ever know you did it. 

• Like 4

Different question: 

I've posted links to my flikr account that has photos that I took of quilts/crafts that I made from copyrighted patterns. So, I own the photo, but don't own the pattern the item in the photo was made from. Should I take those down? It's been quite a debate in the crafting community - I'll do whatever you would like me to do! 

SWB

I do hope you are able to rise up and prevail over the present travails. Especially with the upcoming mini conference.

I've been following the case of some patent trolls, including one who claims to own the rights to all podcasts through a poorly worded patent claim. If this is a similar situation it would at least represent an acknowledgement of how influential wtm boards have become.

I have heard a little about this and was wondering if it was similar. Wasn't it Adam Carolla being sued, among others? He went to the airways to raise funds, and the trolls backed off for now.

Different question:

I've posted links to my flikr account that has photos that I took of quilts/crafts that I made from copyrighted patterns. So, I own the photo, but don't own the pattern the item in the photo was made from. Should I take those down? It's been quite a debate in the crafting community - I'll do whatever you would like me to do!

If it's images of your crafts it should legally be fine.

• Like 2

Don't worry about the text right now...as I said (a few pages ago), celebrity photos are the primary target right now.

Hey, guys, it made me REALLY sad to delete all those kilt threads...because you were all having so much fun.

Ah, well. Perhaps we can all eat a lot of sugar tonight.

SWB

Yay! Pie for dinner! SWB said so!!

*resists the urge to insert photo of Dean Winchester eating pie*

:)

• Like 21

But if you search for .jpg what you get are links to photos & yesterday SWB said links are fine. Just not embedded photos..... That's how I understood it :huh: :confused1:

Yes, it will bring up posts that include links to photos, as well as embedded photos, so you will have to scan through to find the embedded ones.  However, this is a much more targeted method than just going through every single post you've ever made.  My posts were 40 pages long and that didn't include all of them - 40 pages seems to be the built-in limit.  However, my posts with ".jpg" in them were only one page long - much easier to skim through and edit.  

• Like 1

Different question:

You can't copyright sewing patterns. So, you are fine. I know some crafters want people to believe that you can, but you can't. The illustrations and text, yes, so you shouldn't scan it and share the actual pattern online. But, they can't copyright the method or design. This is well established by the courts. So, you are fine.

• Like 9

This is all about celebrity photos? Because of what happened recently with hacked iCloud's? So links are ok, texts are ok? It's mainly celeb pics.

Is this happening anywhere else on the Internet? Other forums? I've been googling all over and this seems to be the only place.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoollacott/2014/09/08/reddit-gives-mixed-messages-after-pulling-leaked-celebrity-photos/

I didn't think we had any of *those* type of photos on here, ugh.

• Like 1

Is it not possible to disallow the posting of images at all on the forums?  I know I've been to other forums where certain types of html were allowed and certain types were not, so I'm just wondering if you could simply change an option in how the boards are set up, and then no pics could be included in posts, old or new.  

It would also keep people from posting their own pics, but it would keep you from having to worry about which pictures are okay and which aren't.  You'd still have the avatars to deal with, but I'm guessing that's a much smaller issue.  And a huge benefit would be that you wouldn't have to worry about this happening again in the future as people grow lax and new members join in without being aware of this ordeal.

It may not even be possible, and it may be that you've already considered this and decided against it, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

(For the record, my avatar is a picture I took.)

I finally figured out how to crop one of my own photos and use it as my avatar.

Susan, I too would like to thank you for all that you do for these forums. I remember the old forums that came out shortly after the first edition of The Well-Trained Mind was published. You've done so much for the homeschooling community. No one should question your reasons for posting this thread, and all of us who use these forums (for free, we should remember) should be happy to comply with your requests.

Thank you.  :)

• Like 14

Don't worry about the text right now...as I said (a few pages ago), celebrity photos are the primary target right now.

Hey, guys, it made me REALLY sad to delete all those kilt threads...because you were all having so much fun.

SWB

Susan, I haven't been here in forever, but I am so very sorry to hear of the difficulty you're facing.  It seems grossly unfair.

Best wishes to you as you as you wrestle with this.

• Like 11

We could have different levels of supporters

For 10$ you could be a 'cupcake'

For 15$ a 'shopping cart'

'hot guy in kilt' will cost you 25$

'Hey Girl' is 40$

'Benedict Cumberbatch expert' is 50

'David Tennant is my future second ex husband' is a 75$ level of support

Etc, etc

love this idea! I would be happy to be a supporter at both the Benedict Cumberbatch and David Tennant levels.

I would like to toss out there the "Tom Hiddleston" level of support for $100.  :)

• Like 4

SWB

At least we still have our memories of those threads. It's more important to get things straightened out so you can stop worrying about this. :grouphug:

• Like 4

Maybe Bill is E.C. Publications...

Nah, Bill's a spy. E.C. Publications is just his cover. Or maybe his cover is whatever TV/Film stuff he pretends to be involved in.

His real job is undercover investigation of the homeschool community's plans to take over the world.

That's right Bill, we're on to you. We've been feeding you false information for years...

• Like 9

I had nothing to pull down, but wanted to report in anyway and say hi to all!   For anyone who remembers me, my daughter graduated and is now at college, I am working full time and have returned to school to finish up my accounting degree.

I'm really sorry and extremely disappointed you're going through this, Susan.  Wish I could do something more to help you.

Warmest regards, everyone!

Robin in Tx

Long time BooKer

• Like 29

I had nothing to pull down, but wanted to report in anyway and say hi to all!   For anyone who remembers me, my daughter graduated and is now at college, I am working full time and have returned to school to finish up my accounting degree.

I'm really sorry and extremely disappointed you're going through this, Susan.  Wish I could do something more to help you.

Warmest regards, everyone!

Robin in Tx

Long time BooKer

ROBIN!!!

Hi, ROBIN!!!

(That's all. So nice to hear from you!)

SWB

Went through my posts and didn't find anything. Then I remembered it's because I don't know how to post pictures. Except for my avatar ... Took down the old picture of Ethel Mertz and found one that is public domain. 

Susan -- so sorry you have this humongous headache. I too would be willing to chip in if this situation requires funding.
  • Like 3

And there's always this.

(Unruly WTM'rs derailing yet another thread ....)

Had not seen that one. Insert one of those rolling on the floor laughing emoji's. I'll take Dean any day over Benedict Cumber something or other.

Newbie here-thankfully no photos to delete. Hoping everything blows over.

• Like 2

I, too, am back briefly to clean up anything I may have inadvertently contributed.

It feels like going back "home", driving past your old house and looking to see what changes have occurred, reliving memories, looking to see if old neighbors might still be there and outside for a quick chat.

I'm so sorry, SWB, for this mess. I'll help in whatever way I can.

• Like 7

My avatar was a free photo but I'm going to change it just to make sure. 

Man, it's amazing to scroll through and see so many oldies! Word gets out! I can only imagine the network WTM has spawned. 

Thank you, once again, Susan for providing this place and cheerfully doing such a tedious task. 

Lisa

• Like 4

Guys, I think pics of cakes and cupcakes are probably OK, but just be careful in the future.

:party:

I ditched my avatar of a ferret licking a cupcake, though, just in case he was a celebrity ferret. ;)  He could have been the famous ferret from the Budweiser commercials way back. My avatar is now dd's rattie eating a banana. Only the banana was harmed in the filming, and the rat is not yet famous but very cute. :p

I hate to see so much trouble come down on your shoulders. I hope it blows over soon.

• Like 4