Menu

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. ALL USERS PLEASE READ

I like the term "opportunistic shakedown ventures" to describe this activity

https://gigaom.com/2012/09/19/copyright-trolls-2-0-image-sites-embrace-righthaven-tactics/

Great article, stripe.  I particularly agree with this part:

This mess shows we need a legal system that can distinguish between the two types of infringers — the careless and the criminal. If we instead allow the odious methods used by the trolls to gain traction, more innocent people and businesses will be damaged for no good reason and the overall internet economy will suffer.

• Like 6

I went to Settings and then Manage My Attachments. At that point you have the option to delete them. I had only 4, but some were old.

This is what finally worked for me.  I found some Ryan Gosling, a Kilt and a nun, :lol:  but no Johnny Depp?!?  Does that mean they're gone already or do I still need to do a search?  Did some of the pics disappear with the last forum switch over?

So sorry this has turned into an  issue Susan.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Hi,

I wasn't sure if my avatar was from public domain, so I changed it.  I took a photo of my son's published book for NaNoWriMo.  He painted this picture for his cover of the book. 

I did not post pictures other than my avatar.

So sorry Susan you have to go through this.  I hope it gets worked out quickly.

This is just so odd to me. Ok, so I love the website jezebel and they have threads that are meant for people to post pics and gifs and other stuff. It doesn't seem to be a problem. How do they manage it?

Right now they have an open thread about fashion and people are posting pic from all kinds of movies and famous people wearing fancy gowns etc.

This is what finally worked for me. I found some Ryan Gosling, a Kilt and a nun, :lol: but no Johnny Depp?!? Does that mean they're gone already or do I still need to do a search? Did some of the pics disappear with the last forum switch over?

So sorry this has turned into an issue Susan.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Entire threads, like the Johnny Depp birthday thread, were deleted, so if you can't find a pic you posted, it's likely already removed.

• Like 1

This is just so odd to me. Ok, so I love the website jezebel and they have threads that are meant for people to post pics and gifs and other stuff. It doesn't seem to be a problem. How do they manage it?

Right now they have an open thread about fashion and people are posting pic from all kinds of movies and famous people wearing fancy gowns etc.

See my posts earlier in this thread for an explanation. :)

OK. so I went to google and searched "celebrities a-z" the very first link has a list of them by picture and name, etc. also it has the capability to search by name. So I clicked the "a"

many people I dind't know existed are there. so I put their name on our search box and try to find them.

while scrolling to the thread that has that specific, likely written mentioned, topic I found a BOOK COVER, is that something we ought to report???

If so, there is no button on the post to 'report'

here is the link to the whole post, number 34 has the picture of the book. If the lady/gent reading this is owner of the thread, please don't be angry at me, I am just asking if that is something I should look....

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/525351-book-a-week-in-2014-bw34/?hl=%2Blanger&do=findComment&comment=5866214

sorry for all this, I can't sleep, so here I am

k

My avatar is my cake.

• 2 weeks later...

My avatar needs to be removed, I believe. It was taken from a google search, at the time I thought it was public domain but I don't want to take a chance. I'm at the hospital without access to a computer...can a mod please remove it for me if needed? Thank you!!

SWB- I am so sorry you are dealing with this. This board is a dream for me and others. Delete as many threads as needed and we will rebuild!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There,

So I just saw this.... This would be like thousands of posts of mine, potentially... depending on what it means exactly. For some reason I'm not able to post in the Sale Ads yet... anyway (so no credit  for posts :))  Would you just want to have all my posts taken off? I would be fine with that... how possible would that be? I know that when I was part of CC I posted a ton from there...etc....

I have been a bit busy lately and not on the forum in a while.  It seems that a lot has been going on.  I did as requested and removed anything questionable, including the avatar.

Unfortunately, there are some very vile and slimy people out there who will do whatever it takes to extort money.  If this is what has latched its fangs into this informational, educational, motivational forum, then I am very sorry.

Susan, just know that there are a lot of people on this forum who attribute a huge part of their ability to forge over the hurdles of homeschooling to you.  I am one of them.

Please remember that you are not alone in this battle.  Do not hesitate to ask for help if it comes to that. You are not playing with very nice people out there, but you have friends here who are willing to do whatever it takes to help rectify this situation.

• Like 3

Hi There,

So I just saw this.... This would be like thousands of posts of mine, potentially... depending on what it means exactly. For some reason I'm not able to post in the Sale Ads yet... anyway (so no credit for posts :)) Would you just want to have all my posts taken off? I would be fine with that... how possible would that be? I know that when I was part of CC I posted a ton from there...etc....

I have been a bit busy lately and not on the forum in a while. It seems that a lot has been going on. I did as requested and removed anything questionable, including the avatar.

I went through all 40 pages that came up when I first learned of this threat. Then I read justasque's helpful post about searching my posts w/ this added info:

In the "Find Words" box, put .jpg

(Or, presumably, any other picture file extension, like .gif)

Be sure to include the period in .jpg or .gif, as you need at least four characters.

And I found more images that didn't turn up w/ my initial search. See the link above for justasque's full instructions. It didn't take much time at all.

Guys,

I can't thank all of you enough for your help. All of your searching, deleting, and reporting is SO much appreciated. It has made a huge difference.

I do have an update for you, but I have to pass it by the lawyer before I can post it.   :angry: Stay tuned...

SWB

I hope that stern face is the stink eye that you and your lawyers have been giving the folks who are vexing you and not the look that you've been going around with.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guys,

I can't thank all of you enough for your help. All of your searching, deleting, and reporting is SO much appreciated. It has made a huge difference.

I do have an update for you, but I have to pass it by the lawyer before I can post it.   :angry: Stay tuned...

SWB

How is it going?

I'm so sorry to hear this. As a photographer I understand the need to protect one's business (you wouldn't believe the amount of people who believe it's perfectly fine to lift one of my digital proofs and start sending copies to Uncle Joe and Aunt Jane in Somewhereville) but copyright trolling is ugly, vile and downright wrong. I hope you are able to hit the money-grabbing classless invividuals where it hurts.

• 9 months later...
Guest asima32

Susan, is this to protect the site, to protect us as individuals, or both? For prolific posters, the site post search may only go back a year or two, but some here have been on the WTM boards from the beginning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm starting to get itchy for new curriculum too. Not because I need it at all, but because it's convention season. I'm supposed to be getting fun stuff to drool over for next year, so I'm about to start my ordering even though there's no real reason to. If I'm ordering online I could just wait til fall when I actually need it. But where's the fun in that? Plus, I do want summer to read over manuals.