Menu

Has anyone graduated early in lieu of dual-enrollment?

I think you should have him graduate and dual enroll. First off, I bet a lot of employers will just look at his grades and not the 6 years. If they do he has a great story about how this was his dream and he made it happen. When you get to the point of transferring I bet you'll find a school that will work with you and your son will probably have a reference or two from his professors. People who love what they do want to talk about what they do and he will make contacts over the next four years. It's just too far ahead to worry about. What he needs now is to get the answers from somoen who knows them not google. Just my 2 cents.

I know that most are advocating graduating him, but I still think it's worth exploring all the options to make dual enrollment, with a very gradual ramp up, happen.  You say that you're not opposed to loans for education.  Is there anyway that you could take an extra $500 or $1000 in loans for you to pay for a class or two of dual enrollment?  All those doors you speak of would open to him without the pressures of a full load of college classes.  If he'd need to go to the other college for dual enrollment rather than the one you're attending, maybe you can just make it a priority to get him up and out early, drop him off at that college, and then go onto your day and pick him up at the end.  Maybe he can find someone at college to get a ride from?   Maybe he can schedule classes for a maximum of two days a week?

I agree that science courses are great to take at college because of the labs, but with engineering as his goal, I also think that taking math in a way which would allow him to get more on track for that could be really helpful.  But the math courses do move quickly and require quite a bit of time, as do the sciences.   Hopefully he'd be able to take advantage of his time on campus and get help as needed in the tutoring center.  He might also want to join an engineering club if it's available to further explore his interests. 

I just see that through dual enrollment he could make himself a much stronger candidate for admission directly into the 4-year college's engineering program.  Spending a few hundred on courses now may save him a year or two and thousands of dollars in the end.   Whichever way you decide, I would still strongly recommend he take at least one dual enrollment course this coming semester so he can gain the college study skills he'll need, especially if the plan is full enrollment next year.

This is one of those times a crystal ball would be helpful as there is no easy answer.  If he's motivated, I'm sure he'll step up to the plate whatever you decide.

I just thought of something a bit out of the box.  I don't know if you have a lot of ties to your area or not, so this may not be a possibility.  I know that you're not looking to move out of your home to move closer to your school.  But ..  have you thought at all about moving to where dual enrollment is free and there are great state colleges and universities with very low tuition for in-state students?   You don't have to answer, but it was just a thought.

I know that most are advocating graduating him, but I still think it's worth exploring all the options to make dual enrollment, with a very gradual ramp up, happen.  You say that you're not opposed to loans for education.  Is there anyway that you could take an extra $500 or $1000 in loans for you to pay for a class or two of dual enrollment?  All those doors you speak of would open to him without the pressures of a full load of college classes.  If he'd need to go to the other college for dual enrollment rather than the one you're attending, maybe you can just make it a priority to get him up and out early, drop him off at that college, and then go onto your day and pick him up at the end.  Maybe he can find someone at college to get a ride from?   Maybe he can schedule classes for a maximum of two days a week?

I agree that science courses are great to take at college because of the labs, but with engineering as his goal, I also think that taking math in a way which would allow him to get more on track for that could be really helpful.  But the math courses do move quickly and require quite a bit of time, as do the sciences.   Hopefully he'd be able to take advantage of his time on campus and get help as needed in the tutoring center.  He might also want to join an engineering club if it's available to further explore his interests. 

I just see that through dual enrollment he could make himself a much stronger candidate for admission directly into the 4-year college's engineering program.  Spending a few hundred on courses now may save him a year or two and thousands of dollars in the end.   Whichever way you decide, I would still strongly recommend he take at least one dual enrollment course this coming semester so he can gain the college study skills he'll need, especially if the plan is full enrollment next year.

This is one of those times a crystal ball would be helpful as there is no easy answer.  If he's motivated, I'm sure he'll step up to the plate whatever you decide.

No, at this point, I'm stretched as tight financially as I can get and getting as much aid as I can get. I live on per month what some people spend solely on groceries, just reality here. Because of where we live, I can do that without having to eat crap out of the gutters like the squirrel in avatar. There is no way I could pay for even one dual enrolled class next semester - we're budgeted to the penny here for this year. 

There is no other school to drop him off at. It's hard to explain because we're rural, if we were 45 minutes away, we'd be in a city with more options, but we're not. 

Obviously we haven't decided anything, this will be his choice more so than mine. You all have raised good questions that I need to research, but so far none of them are making it seem like a horrible an idea for our specific situation. 

I know there are more considerations than financial, but I'm considering that aspect at this moment. 

Ds is working independently on the days I'm at school. Next year, I'll probably have to be at school 5 days a week. Right now I'm too tired to help on those days. I also am concerned about isolation, ds is a hermit as am I, and there are no academic outlets in our area except dual-enrollment. 

He could easily dual-enroll next year (senior year), yet it's discounted not free, still $95/credit hour, plus books. I can't afford to enroll him in more than 1 class probably. However, if I graduated him and enrolled him as a freshman, he'd receive aid. My school accepts everyone that breathes and pays. I receive a grant, a grant would cover his tuition for 9 or 12 hours a semester. Another however is that this is not the school he wants to attend, he's leaning toward engineering school. My university does have a transfer program, so he could do a year or two there then transfer (knowing that it'd take another 4-5 years to finish his BS). He's not at the ability to handle engineering school next year as he needs more time to firm up his math and physics and study skills. He could do that at my university.

I could tweak his transcript to show 4 years of high school work and they go mostly off the ACT score anyway (which he'll take twice this year). 

The biggest reason why I'd consider this is the isolation and my inability to really help as much as I'd hoped. He works well on his own, but we've made a habit of working together and *I* feel like I'm shoving his academics aside, when really I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed. 

I'm going to talk to him today and see how he'd feel about it, but I'm curious if anyone else has done this and how it might affect a transfer (I know he'd lose any freshman scholarships).

I would not graduate early for that. We qualified for financial aid, and my child got none. I wish we could go back and do a full two years as dual enrolled and then move on to the university for the last two years.

Could he DE via the local high school next year? The rules on this have changed this year here, as nclb has created so many 16 year olds that dont have senior year math courses available at their high school.some of the 2 year schools are admitting homeschooled high school students for DE; it is only a matter of time before highschools do too, although they will probably have you enroll late, after degree seeking students and on a space available basis.Check the price, it is far cheaper to DE at the high school campus than at the college campus here....your child may be able to work enough to pay for it.

I agree that you need to examine the course pacing vs the student. Alg 2 this year means College Alg and Trig (one semester each) next year, setting him up just fine for beginning Calc as a freshman, if he can do the pacing. Typically here students who dont struggle in A2 do fine, but those that do struggle delay, taking PreCalc as a high school course with high school pacing...a few units are omitted compared to CA/trig, then they typically take CA/trig as a one semester course at a 4 year college.

Also you might try online providers who have financial aid available for individual courses...you will need to apply early in order to have a chance.

The price is the same through the high school. The only difference is that I believe they provide books - at least last time I looked at the difference that what it was. My university has college algebra & trig as separate classes or pre-calculus as one. Right now, he'd do better as separate classes, but he still has several months of study ahead before I could say for sure. 

This whole thing is like a 1000 piece puzzle when I'm not sure what the picture is supposed to be.  :coolgleamA:

I would not graduate early for that. We qualified for financial aid, and my child got none. I wish we could go back and do a full two years as dual enrolled and then move on to the university for the last two years.

In our case, ds would qualify for his own aid, at least a grant. Living at home, it would cover at least tuition. Our financial situations are most likely vastly different. 

I just thought of something a bit out of the box.  I don't know if you have a lot of ties to your area or not, so this may not be a possibility.  I know that you're not looking to move out of your home to move closer to your school.  But ..  have you thought at all about moving to where dual enrollment is free and there are great state colleges and universities with very low tuition for in-state students?   You don't have to answer, but it was just a thought.

Yes, I have aging parents nearby so I cannot move out of state. Plus if I moved to where dual-enrollment was free, I'd be forced to pay out of state tuition for my college, so there would really be no savings. My university and the engineering school are state schools and affordable overall. I think my school has the second lowest tuition in the state for a 4 year university. 

I know there are more considerations than financial, but I'm considering that aspect at this moment. 

Ds is working independently on the days I'm at school. Next year, I'll probably have to be at school 5 days a week. Right now I'm too tired to help on those days. I also am concerned about isolation, ds is a hermit as am I, and there are no academic outlets in our area except dual-enrollment. 

He could easily dual-enroll next year (senior year), yet it's discounted not free, still $95/credit hour, plus books. I can't afford to enroll him in more than 1 class probably. However, if I graduated him and enrolled him as a freshman, he'd receive aid. My school accepts everyone that breathes and pays. I receive a grant, a grant would cover his tuition for 9 or 12 hours a semester. Another however is that this is not the school he wants to attend, he's leaning toward engineering school. My university does have a transfer program, so he could do a year or two there then transfer (knowing that it'd take another 4-5 years to finish his BS). He's not at the ability to handle engineering school next year as he needs more time to firm up his math and physics and study skills. He could do that at my university.

I could tweak his transcript to show 4 years of high school work and they go mostly off the ACT score anyway (which he'll take twice this year). 

The biggest reason why I'd consider this is the isolation and my inability to really help as much as I'd hoped. He works well on his own, but we've made a habit of working together and *I* feel like I'm shoving his academics aside, when really I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed. 

I'm going to talk to him today and see how he'd feel about it, but I'm curious if anyone else has done this and how it might affect a transfer (I know he'd lose any freshman scholarships).

Paula, you know that I love you so please do not be offended by my direct comments or questions (which is what you would expect from me anyway).

Regarding the bolded: Would early graduation alleviate the guilt you feel?  More importantly, is that guilt necessary?  You say he does well on his own. 

I assume that your son will qualify for Pell Grants, but I am concerned about accruing Stafford Loans before he may know where his future path lies.  If he knows where he wants to go and how to get there, then borrowing may be financially prudent.  Otherwise I would think twice about debt.

Lots of people think that Calculus is Calculus but I taught a very different Calc class at the engineering uni than when I was at another state school where most of the Calc I students were attempting to enter the Business school.  Peers made in those basic engineering classes are often the study group that pull each other through the program. (This is an anecdotal observation and others will note that they never had peer groups and they are successful engineers today. Take it with a grain of salt.)

Could your son find a part time job in the college town where you attend school?  I am thinking that he could do his school work in the college library (who would know he is a high school student?) part of the day and perhaps make a little money to set aside for dual enrollment next year. That way he could take a class or two to get his feet wet.  And you can spend time together in the car.

He would also have that extra year to work on a senior project or something that might help him with merit aid.

Of course, I might be all wrong with my suggestions.  He might jump on the chance to be a college student a year early. I did!

Paula, you know that I love you so please do not be offended by my direct comments or questions (which is what you would expect from me anyway).

Regarding the bolded: Would early graduation alleviate the guilt you feel?  More importantly, is that guilt necessary?  You say he does well on his own. 

I assume that your son will qualify for Pell Grants, but I am concerned about accruing Stafford Loans before he may know where his future path lies.  If he knows where he wants to go and how to get there, then borrowing may be financially prudent.  Otherwise I would think twice about debt.

Lots of people think that Calculus is Calculus but I taught a very different Calc class at the engineering uni than when I was at another state school where most of the Calc I students were attempting to enter the Business school.  Peers made in those basic engineering classes are often the study group that pull each other through the program. (This is an anecdotal observation and others will note that they never had peer groups and they are successful engineers today. Take it with a grain of salt.)

Could your son find a part time job in the college town where you attend school?  I am thinking that he could do his school work in the college library (who would know he is a high school student?) part of the day and perhaps make a little money to set aside for dual enrollment next year. That way he could take a class or two to get his feet wet.  And you can spend time together in the car.

He would also have that extra year to work on a senior project or something that might help him with merit aid.

Of course, I might be all wrong with my suggestions.  He might jump on the chance to be a college student a year early. I did!

I don't know about the guilt, I think it would because he'd be around people who could direct him to answers for his questions. He wouldn't have any loans before engineering school if he attended my university. Grants would cover tuition and books. 

The logistics are just too complicated to make a job for him in the other town work. He'd be at the mercy of my schedule and walking from campus is not feasible for more than a few places. He could do work study if he were a student. I'm not sure how many hours he'd have to take to qualify, that's another point to consider. 

We spent a couple of hours playing with math problems the other day. He had questions that I could help with if I wasn't so brain tired. It was really the first time we'd connected like that for the week, it used to be a daily occurrence. My concern is that if I have to be gone 5 days next year, I'll not be able to help at all. If he's enrolled as a student, he could at least access the tutoring center for help. 

I don't know is really the answer at this point. I may decide next week that it's all a really bad idea and pull it off the table. We'll probably let the idea simmer for a while, get his ACT score and see how the rest of the semester goes. We'll probably have to decide in January so I get the FAFSA filled out for both of us. Scholarship deadlines are March 1,  so I'd want to have him accepted before that. 

I've spent all morning rearranging and moving bookcases and other furniture. I need to probably step back from this topic a bit, so I don't get more angry at the person that created this situation in the first place because I'm out of ways to rearrange furniture at the moment. Livid does not begin to describe my true feelings and I will probably never forgive that someone for messing up these final years of ds's home education, but I will attempt to make lemonade out of the whole thing anyway. 

I wish I could give you a huge hug, EL.

Virtual hugs as you step back and let it simmer and then sort it all out.  I know how hard you have worked over the years.

Thank you, it's good to see you.  :seeya:

Forgive me if my comments were too harsh.

Xxoo,

Jane

Oh no, they weren't. My head feels like a pinball game lately, and thinking about the magnitude of choices I'm having to make (not just this one) sometimes triggers the tilt in my head.  :willy_nilly: