Menu

Would love rec's for K math! (Not Saxon, plz :) )

Blessedx9

Hello!  I would love some recommendations for my 5yo dd for K math :)   I did not like Saxon, but am willing to look at most other curricula.  I am switching the older ones to R & S so I would most likely switch my 5yo too.  Anyone have anything that they love?  Especially if it meshes well with R & S later?  

Also, I have looked at the preschool ABC series that is on the Milestone Books website and I really think it would be too easy for her.  That's why I decided not to do Saxon K, it was boring her to tears b/c she could already do almost everything in at least the 1st half of the book.  (I didn't really look through the whole thing.)  

Anyway, I would love to have some recommendations to research!   TIA!!

Shari

Well my ds and I enjoyed the Saxon K5 quite a bit, but we did it when he was much younger.  If like you liked the idea of saxon, you might just bump it up a grade level.  Would probably solve your problem.  I think both of those early levels were written by Nancy Larson, so they're very similar in feel and teaching style.  

Many people start Saxon 1 in Kindergarten for that reason.  McRuffy was fun and solid, but I found it too time consuming when trying to teach multiple children.

What about starting R & S 1 and taking two years to go through it?  Maybe doing math every other day so concepts really have time to sink in and DC has time to absorb?

We tried McRuffy and it's fun. What is sticking though and helping my ker make connections is the totally hands on RightStart. We recently started this:

2 lessons Rod&Staff 1 a week (Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri giving each lesson two days). This is mastery math, pure arithmetic, and will solidify knowledge. We take two days because of all the writing. BTW memoria press has students work through half of book 1 in k.

4 lessons RightStartA 2nd edition a week.(Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri). The lessons are short and don't require written work probably 98% of the time. Each concept is presented in multiple ways using different manipulatives. This is conceptual so he'll understand how math works and relational so he'll see connections.

1 lesson from Singapore K Activity book (their kindergarten supplement) a week (Wednesday). This seems to really cause him to think critically about math.

We like McRuffy.

Rightstart-A did not work for us (jumps around too much and a bit boring).  I looked at Singapore essentials but it was a lot of counting with pictures to demonstrate addition/number concepts. 

McRuffy introduces concepts using a number line.  I prefer this approach instead of having to count.  We use our number balance along with McRuffy and its lot of fun (comparisons, addition, regrouping, etc..).  Lessons are short and sweet.  It looks colorful but not too much as the Earlybird series.  Line spacing is good enough on McRuffy that it doesn't overwhelm my DD.  We love the games and puzzles too.

We would start using Singapore along with McRuffy in Grade-1.

ETA: We also use cuisenaire rods along with cuisenaire 50-cm rod track.  DD seems to enjoy (and get) manipulations on a number line than with counters or abacus.

Short answer Singapore essentials and c rods

Long answer:

For kindergarten math I've done...

Oldest DS: MUS alpha, was too much writing for DS

DD: RS A, 1st ed. She liked it, was rather time consuming. Splitting a lesson over two days would have helped. As a 'social sue' I would have considered this to be the best choice for her, though towards the end she was asking for more worksheets. Lol. Totally the opposite of my oldest. I probably would have kept on with this, except I personally couldn't handle it with the arrival of child #4. She was looking at, and liking, her brothers Singapore math too. She is currently enjoying 1a and both kids prefer the c rods to the abacus.

2nd DS: currently doing Singapore essentials A.

I was wishing that I'd done RS with my oldest, but now that I'm using Singapore 1a I think it would have been a good choice too. It's colorful and fun without too much writing.

Eta: on counting- my dd counted for everything, even with RS, even with encouragement to subitize. C rods are totally changing this. We are moving slowly through the unit on number bonds, building them with c rods, playing go to the dump from RS (best game ever!), etc. Just today when shown a group of blocks she said there's 3 and 3 and 1, that's 7. Last year, after RS A, she would have counted 1234567. RS encourages not counting, but idk, their strategies/the abacus just didn't work for DD.

Can't say enough good things about Calvert's K program. Both the math and reading/ phonics are fantastic. The lesson manuals are awesome and we had a great time doing it. That said - I wouldn't recommend Calvert for the older grades. It's tedious and textbooky. But K was great!!

I used RS B with a first grader, but with a K student would use it at half pace.  Loved it, but didn't have time for it.  My current K is using Funnix and and Abeka K workbook that was passed on to us for free.  She just rips pages out on her own and teaches herself.  I also make thematic games from TeacherPayTeachers that I change every 3 weeks.

We are using MUS Alpha.  5 yo DD likes it so far.  It does come with a lot of worksheets and writing; I end up doing the writing problems together on the board, and any coloring activities/problems I have her do on paper.  So I basically use the worksheets as our learn-it-examples.  For the review pages (that come at the end of each lesson and go over a bit from all previous lessons) I do have her mostly get the answers on her own, but I help her write out answers so it doesn't take as long.  

We are having a little bit of trouble in that she already knows how to do things (counting, basic addition, etc) but we are taking the time to spend a couple of days on each of these things anyway so we learn to do them "the MUS way". I am hoping this stage is over quickly, but I see at least another couple weeks before we start to really challenge her.  So, just a heads up that it may have the same issues as the Saxon you are trying to get away from.  

Another vote for Singapore Essentials K.   I love the simplicity of Essentials and the fact that the instructions are on the bottom of each page so you don't need a teacher's manual.  We use that along with c-rods and Miquon.  

We have used McRuffy as well but that's more time consuming.  Lots of pieces and printouts and things. 

How to Tutor.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Tutor-Samuel-L-Blumenfeld/dp/0941995011/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410649782&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+tutor

What do I like? Copywork approach. The author made me LOVE the BEAUTY of arithmetic. There is so much focus on the beauty of math, but little focus on the beauty of ARITHMETIC. This book is an awesome read, even if you don't USE it.

Simply Charlotte Mason

https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/mathematics-an-instrument-for-living-teaching/

What do I like? Homemade manipulatives with real objects.

Professor B

http://www.profb.com/productslist.aspx?Subject=Arithmetic&CategoryID=14&cat=Books

What do I like? The fingers are the main manipulative. Narrow scope and sequence useful for rapid acceleration of gifted but neglected students, or narrower focus for remedial students.

These resources play nicely together, and from the samples I have seen of R&S, look like they will play nicely with that, too.

I just want to say thank you to all who have replied.  I'm sorry that I haven't been on here more, but I want you to know that I have been reading every post with interest.  I have checked out many of the curricula mentioned, but I have a few more to look at.  

I don't think RightStart is a good fit for us, especially right now.  I forgot to mention that I am teaching 5 right now, with 1 high schooler besides.  Plus a preschooler, and I keep my grandson at least 1 day a week.  I am really looking at Singapore Essential and also at R&S 1, just going slower to fit her pace.  Anyway, I really appreciate you ladies taking the time to help :)  It really means alot!

Hello!  I would love some recommendations for my 5yo dd for K math :) 

I did not use a curriculum.  We:

Played shop with money and change

Estimated distances, mushroom numbers, quantities, etc.

Measured capacity, distance, weight

Learned to tell time

Told word-problem type stories

Played addition 'war' with cards

Played with chance with dice and cards

Halved and doubled recipes with fractional measurements

Solved puzzlers

Played with Tangrams

Made nets (2d diagrams that make 3d objects)

Built models, read lego instructions, etc

I think you get the idea.  You do not *need* a curriculum in K or 1st grade if you don't want one and just want to enjoy your little one.

Ruth in NZ

We use a similar approach to what lewelma has described. I love that I'm not wasting time drilling DS with stuff that he's either beyond already, or not quite ready for. I can't imagine sitting through worksheets on telling the time, when we could just look at a clock. How tedious! Occasionally I look over a scope and sequence here and there, to see how various curricula follow on from one concept to the next, then I come up with a game to introduce the concept, using dice, dominoes, or cards. Mostly it sticks, and we play roughly daily until it's boring, then move on to something else. I also model different techniques a little beyond where DS is at, developmentally. When he's ready, it sticks.

I've used Singapore Math K for one kiddo (and found it to be too hard for her because she did not have a good number concepts foundation) and I've used MUS Primer for another.  For another couple of kids I didn't use a curriculum until they were ready to start MUS Alpha.  

By far the very best thing I've found for the little ones is spending time counting things (beans, etc) and playing with the MUS blocks and a big set of wooden base ten blocks.  

The other thing that I spent a lot of time on in K was learning how to properly write numbers.  For that I highly recommend the method in Handwriting Without Tears.  Just the K book alone will teach how to form the numbers, but HWT also has a set of number booklets that I enjoyed doing with my last little one.  (Those babies at the tail end get all the fun, huh.... :)  )  I appreciate HWT's method because it can help prevent reversals by always orienting the writer to the "starting corner."  All the numbers in HWT are formed in the "starting corner," except 8 and 9.  

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have math workbooks that require kiddos to be able to read and write numbers until they have learned at least the basics of that skill.  And a K'er may really just be beginning to learn how to write.  So I think it is just fine to wait on formal curriculum.  

Rod and Staff does not have a K book. Grade 1 is entry level. If you are going to use Rod and Staff 1, you really don't need a full curriculum, to prepare. If you know you are going to use Rod and Staff, there is NO pressure for K math.

MP has K doing 1/2 R&S Grade 1, lessons 1- 85 and then First Grade does the other half.  I find it easy to teach and easy for my dc to understand.  Not a lot of prep work.  No bells and whistles .  It doesn't take long and that is a blessing as gnats have longer attention spans. 

Those that did Singapore K Essentials did you use both textbook and activity book or just one?

We just used the activity book. We did mix up the units a bit too to give a little bit of diversity. :-)

With our oldest we did Saxon K and 1, but it was just too much too fast for him and he wanted to fully grasp everything before moving on (my Competent Carl).

With our next boy, who is in Kindergarten, our plan is...

K: Singapore Essentials A and B, MUS Primer (in his co-op, but it is probably too slow for him as he had almost finished SE A before starting. They do 1 lesson/week)

1: RightStart B (he is my Wiggly Willy and needs more hands on and less writing)

2: RightStart C or CLE 1 (depending on his writing abilities, but his older brother is loving CLE Math!)

Those that did Singapore K Essentials did you use both textbook and activity book or just one?

Are there Singapore K Essentials activity books? As far as I know, Essentials A & B are only workbooks. Perhaps you're talking about Singapore K Earlybird Activity Books? If so, I do not think you need those. I bought both of Earlybird textbooks (A and B ) and activity books (A and B ) but did not use activity books at all because textbooks alone had more than enough hands-on activity suggestions. A level is as easy as pre-K (counting, shapes, patterns, etc.) and a lot of concepts in B level is repeated in Singapore Primary Math Grade 1 books, so for most kids the K activity books are unnecessary IMO.