Menu

Beyond frustrated and ready to call the public school tomorrow...

I am sitting here with tears rolling down my face and I'm so tired. This is our third year. So far I've been calling this our best year. We finally found and settled in to a curriculum and daily plan that's working for us. The problem is my 9 year old. She doesn't seem to retain anything. We teach her something and she forgets it 5 seconds later. I have taught (and retaught and retaught) her how to identify verbs. At least 20 times. Tonight in the car I said, "I am tired." and I asked her to identify the verb. She said tired. I said no, then I explained verbs again and told her the verb was am. Then I asked her what the subject was. She said tired. You guys, I really have explained this in every possible way that I can imagine. I've showed her videos. My husband has explained it. She just can't seem to get it. There's a long list of other things that she's forgotten over and over too. I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall. I feel like I'm failing her and she deserves better. What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this? At this point, I'm going to call the school tomorrow. I don't know what else that I can do. 

I have an almost 9 year old.  We've done FLL for the last 2 years.  She still has trouble identifying parts of grammar.  I think it's just too abstract for them to catch on to, especially something like a linking or helping verb.  Action verbs are a bit more concrete, so my dd is usually able to get those right.

Does your dd have trouble recalling things in other subjects, or is grammar the main one?

My dd struggles with her basic addition facts, but she's got the multiplication ones down pat.  Go figure!

Lana

Unless she has oppositional defiance disorder, she won't remember what a verb is any better when taught in a classroom than she does when taught at home. You will have the same exact problem tomorrow and the week after but with less time and control in order to 'fix' it. :grouphug:

ETA: What I mean is that unless you think that she is doing it on purpose, then the setting isn't the problem. Either she is just not developmentally ready to handle abstract concepts or there is some sort of learning block/disorder. Changing to a classroom will not cause her to mature/develop that skill faster nor will it abate a learning block. Both of those problems are worked around easier at home. I know it is frustrating. I didn't mean to sound callous. My dd is dysgraphic and I spent years pulling my hair out before she was tested.

Grammar is very abstract.

Many studies have shown that knowledge of grammar does not automatically convey to writing.

Many 9 yos struggle with this stuff. And to be fair, "tired" can be a verb, it just wasn't in that context. That's hard! Way harder than a sentence like "The dog ran." or something.

Your local public school may not focus much on grammar either. ;)

Basically, this stuff is frustrating. Some kids are little sponges, others seem like it's in one ear and out the next. But usually they slowly head toward competence anyway. And often they remember more than you realize in terms of content. Maybe she does need to be in school. I don't know. But that one example does not at all make me think that. Think about the total picture.

So sorry to hear that.

I'm not a professional, but have u tried explaining grammer visually? Like using the sentence family? Or acting it out? There's also Mct grammar which is I think like a story.

I know u have tried to explain it, but I couldn't tell if it was just orally.

I hope you find a way to keep homeschooling her.

How does she do with math facts and concepts? Is it mostly grammar where the problem occurs? Could it be because it is so abstract? What other grammar curricula have you used? Does she show other signs that perhaps the problem is deeper - a deficit in working memory perhaps?

My husband is in charge of Math. She does TT during the day and then at night he goes over all of her work with her when he gets home. He says that she has forgotten how to subtract, carry, and multiply a few times thus far this year (this is our 4th week). He will gently remind her and then she's able to continue on her own with no additional help. 

My 10yr old DD is the same way. I just plug along and hope one day she'll catch on. I know she will even if it takes a while. I know she will because I see other things that I thought would never ever click starting to click. 

I tried PS in frustration a few years ago and it was no better. The only difference was that she fell behind there while here there's no behind to fall to. 

:grouphug:  

I have an almost 9 year old.  We've done FLL for the last 2 years.  She still has trouble identifying parts of grammar.  I think it's just too abstract for them to catch on to, especially something like a linking or helping verb.  Action verbs are a bit more concrete, so my dd is usually able to get those right.

Does your dd have trouble recalling things in other subjects, or is grammar the main one?

My dd struggles with her basic addition facts, but she's got the multiplication ones down pat.  Go figure!

Lana

She mostly struggles with grammar. Math is a close second but grammar (and spelling) is definitely the big one.

I can't make the sample show, but it looks like it's her own writing? Really, bringing together spelling, mechanics, handwriting, and your own thoughts is really, really hard for kids. Some 9 yos really struggle to do it very well. It's okay if she forgets some of those elements. My 9 yos also struggle to bring those elements together. Some days they write beautiful things, but with lots of misspellings. That's okay, we focus on the positive aspects. And I see them slowly improving those mechanics and spelling elements.

Ds9 also "forgot" how to multiply two and three digit numbers this year. He had a moment of panic about it too. I had to be like, sweetie, if you had really forgotten, you couldn't have relearned it in all of two minutes. It's in there. But 9 yo is so young and so many new things are in there.

I just reread her writing sample. I'm laughing that she misspelled off but correctly spelled adventure.

My dd would do stuff like that. I understand completely. It is not that you have failed her in any way. Just keep plugging along. Keep correcting the mistakes. For example, when she has finished with writing. Immediately say, "please check that every I is capitalized." Then give her a few minutes. Make sure she looks it over. When she gives it to you, immediately circle anything else that needs correcting and hand it back to be fixed on the spot.

I would ditch the curriculum for a couple weeks and make up your own sheets of very simple sentences.

Preferably make them funny &/or relevant to her (using characters,msituations from her favourite books or stories or funny stories about incidents in your lives).

Then work *together on circling only one part of speech for that week.

So when it's verb week, you have your sentences and all you will do is circle the verbs in each sentence.

Next week (or maybe two weeks later) do nouns etc.

Don't try to pull it together for several weeks.

Also, at the beginning of each lesson, go through the simple definition of that part of speech so hopefully she can memorize it. " A noun is a person, place, thing, or idea." Then verbally model reading the sentence and considering each word and whether it fits that defn.

Also, play MadLibs! Expect to give her hints (I need a noun, you remember? A person, place, thing, or idea. Like Tom or potatoes or blanket. Can you give me a noun?)

It will click eventually. :)

Move on. Give the grammar a break for a while. Seriously. And work with easier sentences. If you want to do being verbs, then you can't define a verb as an action word, and try "I am a woman" instead.

I only got intensive grammar lessons in 11th grade. Not sure what sending her to school would do for you.

Do something fun with her.

I am sitting here with tears rolling down my face and I'm so tired. This is our third year. So far I've been calling this our best year. We finally found and settled in to a curriculum and daily plan that's working for us. The problem is my 9 year old. She doesn't seem to retain anything. We teach her something and she forgets it 5 seconds later. I have taught (and retaught and retaught) her how to identify verbs. At least 20 times. Tonight in the car I said, "I am tired." and I asked her to identify the verb. She said tired. I said no, then I explained verbs again and told her the verb was am. Then I asked her what the subject was. She said tired. You guys, I really have explained this in every possible way that I can imagine. I've showed her videos. My husband has explained it. She just can't seem to get it. There's a long list of other things that she's forgotten over and over too. I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall. I feel like I'm failing her and she deserves better. What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this? At this point, I'm going to call the school tomorrow. I don't know what else that I can do. 

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I feel your pain, but girl friend, think seriously about this: What on earth makes you think the school will do any better? Your dd would be in a classroom of up to 30 children. Will the teacher be able to give her the individual attention that you do? I think not. Your dd will be given stuff to memorize, and you've already seen that she doesn't do well with that; why inflict that kind of pain on your dd?

Perhaps you might consider a different kind of learning altogether instead of doing everything Just Like School. Maybe a unit study like KONOS or the Weaver or the Prairie Primer, where you are doing things with her instead of her having to memorize stuff in a textbook.

I'd dump Easy Grammar in a heartbeat (and EG is my favorite). She's just 9. She has plenty of time to learn 8 parts of speech and some thingummies like gerunds and clauses. And I'd quit trying to make her find things in her head when you're doing random activities like driving in the car.

Have you ever looked at R&S for grammar and math? I ask because it has explicit instruction and constant review, so it's much harder for a child to forget how to do something. My son has similar issues with retention and these two curricula have done wonders for his confidence. 

My suggestion is to take a break for a week or two before making any decisions. It's sounds like something needs to change, but when you are as exhausted as you say, it's hard to have perspective.

Can no one else see the writing sample? Because it looks completely fine, probably better than average, for a nine year old to me. Give grammar a break; bring it back to your school schedule when she has had a couple years to develop her abstract thinking. Looking at the sample of her work, I think you are doing a great job, and that you are only stressed because your expectations are above her developmental stage.

ETA: The quality of writing in the sample is, by my evaluation, right in the middle quality wise between my 8 year old who I would like to see improve a lot this year, and my 10.5 year old who is doing quite well with her writing.

Every kid is different. My 8 yo DD has terrible trouble remembering things. Her spelling is awful. She still writes some numbers and letters backwards ...although these days mostly when she is tired. She tells me often that she is frustrated because " school just has so much to remember it all gets mixed up". When I ask her questions she needs longer thinking time to recall something. I tell myself that God must have other plans for her rather then academics LOL.

My DS on the other hand has a photographic memory. He remembers just about everything with very little effort. Both my DS and DD are being taught on the same grade level and DS will remember ever grammer rule quickly whilst DD needs prompting and thinking time. So I know it isn't me or my teaching methods... some kids just have better retention then others.

I also think importance to the child has a hand in recall. My DS is a perfectionist and wants to get everything right so that is his motivator. My DD has never had any interest in schoolwork...but I often give her a list of things to remember to get when we go shopping so I don't forget and she remembers every one.

I recently switched to CLE for math and language arts and DD is starting to retain more with those spiral programs rather then mastery. Just keep plugging along ...and review, review, review.

I have two nine year olds and a ten year old. Your daughter's writing is just as good or better than theirs. And your daughter's spelling is not bad -- you should see the spelling of DD9 (who is probably dyslexic). My twelve year old still makes mistakes that I think she should not be making. My kids commonly forget what I spend a lot of time teaching them. What I'm saying is that your daughter sounds completely normal to me.

I agree that it can be frustrating to spend so much time teaching them something and then not have it stick. Believe me, I get it!! I've often been in tears (today, actually), and I often consider enrolling my children in school. You may decide that homeschooling is not the right choice for YOU, but I don't think that putting her in school will help her learn these things faster or easier. However, if you think that she actually has a problem with her memory, you can request for the school to evaluate her to see if there are any underlying issues.

Her writing sample looks average for 9yo to me. I think at this age, just taking the time to remind them to double check their work when their finished will help fix most mistakes. Make a checklist of the things your child usually misses and print it out on a quarter sheet. At the end of every piece, complete the checklist. Did you x, y, z?

Unless you notice more significant working memory deficits, I wouldn't sweat the grammar. It will come around again.

Well, maybe another grammar program with lots of repetition built in would help.  Maybe waiting a few years to even tackle grammar at all is the best bet (DD was public schooled through 5th and didn't look at grammar until 6th - she picked it up then).  But I can't imagine a child learning grammar, or math facts, better in public school than at home with a one-on-one devoted mom teaching her, regardless of how little grammar she is retaining now. 

Yes!  DS is an unenthusiastic student; meaning he isn't really going to pay attention to much for me, beyond what he needs to get the job done.  R+S has been excellent for him in this regard; the stuff seeps into his brain because he sees constant review every day on stuff he's already learned.  If you can tolerate the religious content, it's an excellent program.

If you aren't willing to ditch the grammar instruction for a year or two and are hell-bent on doing it now, I would also suggest MCT Grammar Island.  Such a fascinating and well-put-together little grammar program, and it really engaged DD and she learned the material in a very short time.  But at the end of the day, I think I'd pack it away grammar for a year or so and try something else when you so finally pick it up again.

Have you ever looked at R&S for grammar and math? I ask because it has explicit instruction and constant review, so it's much harder for a child to forget how to do something. My son has similar issues with retention and these two curricula have done wonders for his confidence. 

My suggestion is to take a break for a week or two before making any decisions. It's sounds like something needs to change, but when you are as exhausted as you say, it's hard to have perspective.

Add me to the list of people who think the writing sample looks fine for her age and I love the story to boot!

Also agree with Mad Libs.

Have you checked out Grammar Island? I found it a painless way to teach grammar. Here's a link to sample PDF and you can see if she likes it. There are a few novels about Mud, the main character, too.

I also have a 9 yro and your writing sample looks very similar to my daughter's writing.  What you described with math seems normal, too.  I had to re-explain subtracting with regrouping (borrowing) a couple of weeks ago.  They just need a lot of review at that age.

I agree with the responses of the other homeschool moms. I'm also cheering you for asking these difficult and often embarrassing questions here among strangers.

Now a little reality check.

I just don't understand the fall-back line that many homeschool parents take as a way out - "if my dc aren't learning the way I want them to learn then they go to school."  What do you think the school teachers say - "send the dc home if they don't learn the way we want them to."  Have you thought that the way you want them to learn needs to be adjusted?  I don't mean to be cruel, just blunt. Do some more reading and research on how young children learn. It's NOT the same way as you do as you review the grammar you do with your young children.  Take a few steps back, a few deep breaths, and take on this important challenge of teaching young children with a little more forethought and depth. It's a huge job, but it's so worthwhile.

I just looked at the writing sample, and I think it's completely on target (& even quite good!) for a 9 year old.

I agree.

I had a lot of grammar instruction in school, in Jr. High and High School.  In elementary, we learned subject subjects and predicates, nouns and ACTION verbs.

You're going to be going over this stuff a few thousand more times before you're done.

Her writing example was fine for 9. I loved her story. Most of the words were spelled correctly.

If it were me  (and you wanted to) I would use this as an opportunity to teach editing. Sit with her and ask if she followed the grammar rules she knows. Ask her about the subject and verbs in her sentences. Does she see any spelling errors?

Gently correct with her. And praise her for a good story!

I wish I could show you my 21yo daughters papers. She lets me read the rough drafts sometimes to see if I understand what she is saying before she edits to turn in. My first response is usually: "Did you forget everything I taught about spelling and grammar?" She laughs and says no, but she was writing quickly and it got jumbled.

Also for your example of finding the verb in the sentence "I am tired" -- linking verbs are some of the hardest for kids to get. Spend a lot of time on action verbs and make certain she is solid before the linking verbs.

Linda

On behalf of the Certified English Teachers of America, I hereby authorize you to dump grammar for this year.

Truly. Come back around to it next year or even the year after. When I taught sixth grade, close to ten percent of my students were still thinking too concretely to really get some aspects of grammar.

The school will not teach it in a way that makes more sense to her if she's not ready to understand it. On the contrary, if the PS is covering it at all, she will remain confused and will get F's to make sure she's aware that her performance is inadequate. That doesn't help a late bloomer one bit.

Put the grammar away and don't look at it again until she's in 6th grade.  Then purchase Analytical Grammar, do it until 8th grade and then be done with it.  By then she'll have the abstract thinking necessary to truly "get" grammar.  Grammar does not need to be drilled year after year for 8 years.  It's just not that complicated.  I'll tell you right now that based on her writing sample she won't be missing that grammar instruction at all.  She knows what sounds right in her written work....her story is very, very good for 9 in my opinion.  And I wouldn't stress over those lower case I's either.  I think they are cute. LOL!  I guarantee you that she won't still be writing lower case I's by the time she's in high school. ;)

There is NO WAY my 10yo would have picked "am" as the verb in your example sentence. Honestly, I would be surprised if she remembered what a verb was at all. She may remember what a noun is but I'm not certain about that either. I plan to play lots of madlibs this year as a fun way to strengthen grammar skills. I'm also going to keep reviewing. I didn't finally get parts of speech figured out until I was 17 - even though I did very well in writing and spelling.

As far as the writing sample, I would be beyond thrilled if my 10yo could spell that well! She can read anything you put in front of her but somehow she can't tell that her own spelling is incorrect. We'll be spending a lot of time on that this year.

Relax. She is a perfectly normal 9 year old. :-)

Thinking some more, I've been pondering the whole " teaching to mastery" thing so many of us get caught up in. We don't move on until the kid gets it.

Sometimes i think it's a good idea to just teach it, assess (if you want to) but don't sweat the results. If it's really bad, just mark it in a planning calendar to come back to it 6 months later or next year and see what the student knows then.

The reality in schools is that they're never guaranteeing the kids learned anything; they're just guaranteeing the teachers taught the material. (& even that is iffy. My dh's grammar education consisted of one English teacher saying: we won't be doing much grammar this yr because you'll have it next yr. The next yr's teacher said: we won't do grammar this year since you had it last year. That entire cohort got no grammar in jr high.)

Anyway. - It's ok to not get things, to try to learn something and just not get it. I wonder if in and of itself this isn't something important for a child to experience.

On behalf of the Certified English Teachers of America, I hereby authorize you to dump grammar for this year.

Truly. Come back around to it next year or even the year after. When I taught sixth grade, close to ten percent of my students were still thinking too concretely to really get some aspects of grammar.

The school will not teach it in a way that makes more sense to her if she's not ready to understand it. On the contrary, if the PS is covering it at all, she will remain confused and will get F's to make sure she's aware that her performance is inadequate. That doesn't help a late bloomer one bit.

"On the contrary, if the PS is covering it at all, she will remain confused and will get F's to make sure she's aware that her performance is inadequate. That doesn't help a late bloomer one bit."

Exactly why I pulled my son out of school. 

Judging by your dd's writing sample, she is writing in complete sentences and communicating her thoughts well---at this stage the most important part of grammar is internalizing the structure and conventions so they are natural.  The main point of writing is communication. Accomplishing these things is BIG deal!  Congratulate her.  .

A misspelled word, a misplaced punctuation mark---it's all normal.  Even several (shoot, I mistype stuff on FB all the time, and I'm not having to write it out long-hand). She is simultaneously concentrating on:

forming the letters,

legibility,

forming her thoughts into sentences,

spelling,

punctuation...

It's a tall order to concentrate on all these things at once as a developing writer, but that's easy for adults to forget (I do it all the time).  Give her a pat on the back.  When she was a wee babe learning to talk, you didn't correct every mispronunciation and yet she learned to talk properly, right?  All that to say:  don't be so hard on yourself, you are doing great.

This was a hard lesson for me to learn, because my oldest is a near-perfect speller and always has been.  My middle two are more "normal" in that regard and I used to worry they wouldn't get it.  They are getting it, though, just on their own schedules.

Like PPs, I would also suggest putting the formal grammar away.  If she's forgetting the same thing over and over, it may be better to put the abstractions aside for now.  We focus on copywork and reading for elementary.  It gives them lots of practice in copying correct spellings, sentence structure, and punctuation. We also do narrations (oral and written) and then the rest of their writing is on their own.  I have been very pleased with how my children are developing as writers.

Instead of doing EG, pull out The Sentence Family. Just do one section each day at whatever pace you like - daily, every few days, once per week. Mention the story when you are writing or talking on the days you don't do it. If she likes it & seems to pick up on it, then you can move onto Grammar Island - which idnib posted a link to in this very thread. (I think Sentence Family is a lot gentler & easier.) There are free worksheets to do with it if you want. Anyway, I'd call grammar good this year with even only one of them. After at least one of them, move onto Mad Libs next year. Then, once she has all the basics down, you can put her back into a formal grammar program when things are scary & abstract anymore. :-)

I have kids who forget things, too.  :grouphug:  (When my dd#2 was 9, she asked me what "those little squares on the calendar" meant.  :crying: )

ITA with dropping grammar if you want to.

If you want to continue, however, I think the Montessori way is charming and fun, and concrete.

They use a farm (but you could use another "small world" if you wanted) and find "a cow" or "the BROWN cow"--showing how the language works.

They use a solid symbol for the parts of speech (for example, a red ball stands for the verb, because it rolls). Later, they use written work and draw symbols as they parse the sentences.

It's really a lovely way to learn grammar!

Some pics to illustrate:

ETA--Ah, had to delete the pictures. Here's a link.

http://www.blog.montessoriforeveryone.com/grammar-materials.html

My 9 year old doesn't understand much grammar.  As stated upthread, grammar is very abstract.  I know adults who went through the same public school system I did who still can't identify parts of speech and don't capitalize sentences on FB.  You  and your husband are doing far more than the school possibly could with a class full of kids.  You guys can try a different curriculum if you think that's a contributing factor to the problem.  You guys can spend more time reviewing and practicing.  You guys and integrate it into other subjects.  You guys can google teaching songs about grammar and teach them to her. You guys can delay and wait for more brain development to happen.  The schools don't have that much flexibility or time to focus on a struggling child. A really good teacher would try to get you to work with her at home on what she's struggling with, but since you're already doing that, what would be the point of sending her to a school over this? 

Thanks ladies. Seriously, thank you so much. I don't have much to compare her to because her older sister is a naturally smart kid, she usually gets everything on the first try. So I struggle with knowing what 'normal' looks like. The encouragement that you ladies gave me helped me gain some perspective and the result was that we a fantastic day of school today.

Thanks ladies. Seriously, thank you so much. I don't have much to compare her to because her older sister is a naturally smart kid, she usually gets everything on the first try. So I struggle with knowing what 'normal' looks like. The encouragement that you ladies gave me helped me gain some perspective and the result was that we a fantastic day of school today.

:hurray:

My daughter, 12, is that way with a lot of concepts.  I teach and re-teach things CONSTANTLY.  If I had a dollar for every time she missed 8 x 4 = 32 I would be a very rich woman. She was in public school for three years, so I know it's not anything I am doing wrong.  Some things are difficult for her, but she does eventually grasp the information- in her own time.  IMO, having her in public school was way more frustrating than having her at home.  The public school would have her all day and she wouldn't grasp the concepts.  They'd still expect me to teach her the concepts again and I'd get the blame for her not grasping them.  She'll only slip through the cracks in public school.        

I know adults who went through the same public school system I did who still can't identify parts of speech and don't capitalize sentences on FB.

I was thinking that too. I do know a lot of adults who actually have writing that looks like her writing sample with words misspelled and not everything capitalized that should be. She still has years to go to fix it and will improve from where she is at 9. Her writing sample looked fine to me.

I wish my daughter had written that when she was 9. She stills struggles with spelling when she rushes. And she forgot EVERYTHING when she hit puberty. I focused on loving to learn. She now tests well above grade level in everything and is a fabulous student. I've been there with the tears and worries. Take hope.