Menu

Am I crazy-76 miles to Classical Co-op?

Okay, I know I am probably going to get a lot of "brutally honest" answers but that is what I am looking for!

We just moved across the country in May. We are looking to get connected and involved. I have a DS kinder, DD prek, and DS 8month old. I wanted to join a co-op to give my kids an opportunity to meet other kids they see all the time and get to know (versus all random kids they see at the various camps/curricular activities they do at the rec center, ballet, etc). 

I came across Catholic Schoolhouse here on this forum. It is a Catholic based classical curriculum supplement that can be used at home or at a co-op. I LOVE the curriculum. I also found that the only "local" Catholic Schoolhouse is 76 miles away. It is all freeway so it takes 1 hour and 20 mins each way. 

We decided it was worth it and joined. Today was our first day. We do the memory work at home and then the co-op builds on that with art, science, repeating the memory work, religion, etc. The kids liked it and I met some nice women. But I was not blown away by it. The first class  for DS kinder was disorganized and the tutor seemed unsure of what was being taught. The art and sciences were great though but not necessarily things I can't do at home. DD prek's Montessori based play learning class was wonderful too. Again, overall I was not blown away. I could pick many place of improvement needed, etc. DS kinder was also so busy that he also didn't get time to speak to any child and the kids in his class were extremely shy anyway (first day jitters?).

However, I know that not every co-op is perfect. I probably would not be this picky except for time, travel, and cost of gas. I really wanted to be impressed (like I was with the curriculum) in order to justify the costs. What would you do? Worth it?

Nope, not worth it, particularly with kids that young. I would not sign up for that long in the car.  Find a local co op or library group or some other fun kid activity and join it.  Drive 10-15 minutes.  The issue is also that anyone you meet at that far away co op will likely live near the co op and not near you.  So get togethers outside of co op would be a lot of driving, as well.

We have been part of a co op for six years now and like it very well.  But it is 12 minutes away.

I wanted to join a co-op to give my kids an opportunity to meet other kids they see all the time and get to know (versus all random kids they see at the various camps/curricular activities they do at the rec center, ballet, etc).

Kids at a 76-mile away activity are NOT kids they will see all the time.

My advice is to put that time and energy into making local connections instead. Your kids can make real friends through local activities. It takes effort, but it can happen. Invite people to your house, set up email lists, and do not restrict yourself to other homeschoolers.

We have driven about 40 min one way several times a week for 6 years for a fantastic aikido dojo, and I currently drive an additional 30 min one way once a week for a good secular high school co-op (hard to find around here). I understand about driving a lot to find something that is great, but it sounds like this is a lot of effort for something that is mediocre at best from your description.

In your case,I wouldn't, particularly at those ages, primarily because it is likely that any friends they make will live close to the co-op and it will be a huge burden to arrange time together. I would focus on finding a curriculum you like that you can do at home and then look closer to home for social activities. Invite some of the families you meet at local activities to join you at the park to try to foster more regular connections. Join a local support group which organizes local field trips, park days, etc and let them get to kmow those kids, even if they don't share your specific curricular interests. We didn't do a co-op until middle school, but have a great support group we've joined for social activities since my daughter was 4. I have little in common with many of the families in terms of our curricular or religious choices, but it's been a fantastic social network.

I would then look closely at the Catholic Schoolhouse curricula and try to determine exactly what about it appeals to you, then look for either a way to do that curriculum at home or find other ways to achieve the parts that are appealing.

Nope, not worth it, particularly with kids that young. I would not sign up for that long in the car.  Find a local co op or library group or some other fun kid activity and join it.  Drive 10-15 minutes.  The issue is also that anyone you meet at that far away co op will likely live near the co op and not near you.  So get togethers outside of co op would be a lot of driving, as well.

This is what I was thinking, especially the bolded. We just moved to our town three months ago and even though we don't need a co-op to supplement our homeschool, I have been wanting to connect with some other homeschoolers (we do have friends who use PS, but their schedules are such that getting together regularly is hard). But I discovered that the closest group to us is 30 minutes away. I decided to join - I think it will be worth it for us partly because there are a few families there who live in our town that we will hopefully get to know, and it meets every other Friday for 3 hours (we go purely for the social aspect - the learning is all gravy). I can manage that, but anything more in time or distance and it wouldn't be worth it for us. And that's only 30 minutes each way.

In any case, unless I were in the middle of nowhere with literally no other options for social interaction, I would not sign up for anything that required a weekly drive like that. No way.

I kind of depends. We live in a very rural area so driving over an hour to meet others is no big deal. It takes me 30 minutes to get to the grocery store. If your kids like sitting in the car and listing to music or books on tape, and the gas budget doesn't get blown and you enjoy the group then go for it. But if there are closer options and the group doesn't blow you away then I'd look elsewhere. We just started driving 45 min to an ok-ish co-op. I'm not blown away but we have friends there already. It's hard moving and meeting new people so if it helps you feel connected go for it.

We spend an 90 minutes each way in the car to get to piano each week. It's exhausting for all of us, but the instructor is a perfect match for my son and the only Suzuki teachers around here are all that far away. So, each week we drive. We use the time to catch up on reading, listen to SOTW and other audio books, and enjoy some quiet time.

I would only do the co-op if it were really something great that you can't find closer and you all love it. Maybe give it another week or so?

It is true! The the more I think about it the more I realize they won't see these children any more than they see the kids in their tumbling class or ballet class since the co-op has classes (not social time) as well. In my mind, I envisioned my kids getting to know their class-mates while working together. Then today I witnessed first -hand: Duh! They are prek and K not college students entering into deep conversation over research. They work on their work and that is it.

I actually have started a local mom's group but it has been slow to lift off. I know this takes time. It just aches my heart when DS says he hardly has any friends here unlike back home. But I need to be patient. We do have one set of really really good friends and their kids we knew from back home as they moved too recently. I really am leaning toward no way.

We live in a kid heavy neighborhood (I have been told by a neighbor) but I have yet to meet but one mother with one child. Any suggestions for how to meet other parents/kids in the neighborhood? I thought of having a flier that I can pass out in the neighborhood and host a play date at our house...thoughts?

I kind of depends. We live in a very rural area so driving over an hour to meet others is no big deal. It takes me 30 minutes to get to the grocery store. If your kids like sitting in the car and listing to music or books on tape, and the gas budget doesn't get blown and you enjoy the group then go for it. But if there are closer options and the group doesn't blow you away then I'd look elsewhere. We just started driving 45 min to an ok-ish co-op. I'm not blown away but we have friends there already. It's hard moving and meeting new people so if it helps you feel connected go for it.

Ha! You are going to laugh at me. We DO NOT live in a rural area. It takes me 5-10 mins to get to 5 different grocery stores. We live in a fairly large city and surrounding suburban area. We are basically driving from a big city through rural to another big city.

We live in the middle of nowhere.  Joined multiple co-ops over the last couple years trying to find those social things.  In reality, what has actually worked was Ds getting interested in something and finding local friends who did it too.  Last year he started skateboarding and going to the skate park all.the.time.  We spent so much stinking time at the skatepark.  What happened was realizing the same kids always showed up around 3:15 when they got home from school.  We started showing up then too.  Friends happened.

He became rather obsessive out MineCraft a few months ago and went to the library CONSTANTLY to play.  He eventually discovered that every Tuesday and Friday about nine boys show up after school to play MineCraft.  Those became our play dates.  I drop him off, he has fun, I get to work for a couple hours.  It was not forced; it happened because of shared interest.

Your kids are too young to have standing ideas about what interests them and then go do it.  It might mean a few years before they develop those sorts of friendships which are standing.  Parallel play with different kids is perfectly normal.  Start going to the park, library, whatever and see who you find regularly there.  Do not drag your entire week down with that level of driving if you (or your kids) are not getting quite a bit out of it.  Go for a while, see how it works out, but if you still are so/so then stop. 

No way--these are not established friendships that you are trying to maintain, and the academics don't sound that great.

Both would have to be outstanding for this to be worth it.

Those kids are too far away to come over for playdates, so if strong friendships form you are setting your kids up to be very disappointed or to spend even more time in the car.  Look locally, and don't sweat it.  It takes a while, but it will be better if you don't stack the odds against yourself like this.

If it was a specialized program for older kids, I'd do it.   Your kids are too young to spend so much time in the car, even once a week.  Listening to music and stories may get old quickly.   As others have said, use the time and energy to get to know people closer to home.

Sorry!  I know that's not what you want to hear!

Spending loads of time in a car = serious reduction in physical activity + more fast foods and snacky foods that are not really that healthy + kids losing time for developmentally appropriate play time + the expenditure for gas + the stress of loading up to hurry and get somewhere on time + losing the opportunity to make nearby friends.  

That equation would not be a winner for me.

We just moved across the country in May. We are looking to get connected and involved. I have a DS kinder, DD prek, and DS 8month old. I wanted to join a co-op to give my kids an opportunity to meet other kids they see all the time and get to know (versus all random kids they see at the various camps/curricular activities they do at the rec center, ballet, etc). 

What you want is a support group, not a co-op. A support group will have members who are local to where you live. Not a "mom's group." A *support group*. There should be field trips once in awhile, and park days, and social gatherings such as a Christmas party--just enough activities to meet people and do a few things that are trickier to do by yourself, but not enough to take away from what you are doing with your own family, and enough to discern whether any of the members are your kindred spirits such that you want to spend more time with them.

What you want is a support group, not a co-op. A support group will have members who are local to where you live. Not a "mom's group." A *support group*. There should be field trips once in awhile, and park days, and social gatherings such as a Christmas party--just enough activities to meet people and do a few things that are trickier to do by yourself, but not enough to take away from what you are doing with your own family, and enough to discern whether any of the members are your kindred spirits such that you want to spend more time with them.

Well, maybe not -- although I'll admit that not all co-ops are created equal :-)

We've had the awesome opportunity to be in a co- op that provided phenomenal enrichment activities in the " classrooom" along with social activities that respected our family. Then when the kiddos reached seventh grade we had the option of rigorous secondary courses. Throughout it all, our co-op stresses the family and the family homeschool and provides an amazing support network.

With all of that being said, we have one activity that we drive over an hour to each way once a week. We think it's a great activity and worth our time, but although dd has friends there, they're not bosom buddies -- mainly distance is the factor. So op, if you're looking to find friends and fellow homeschoolers, I'd advise sticking closer to home and the activities you find there. Save the far out driving for those things which have a great return value for your investment of time and money.

ETA: We didn't drive that large of a distance for activities at your children's ages. Those were the years when we stuck closer to home.

Well, it is really a personal choice. When my children were younger, we crossed an international border (plus 30 min of driving) for a chess club once a week. I made a point to take them to the marshes, a museum, or local field trip in the morning to really make the trip worth while. The boys loved it and never complained.

Did you know that you could purchase the Catholic Schoolhouse materials and do that at home? You could even look into starting your own chapter. I would not drive that far for any co-op. We do drive that far for a wonderful orthodontist.

If you attend Mass you could surely meet some of the other mothers with young children. I'd start there.

Yes, this. We love our support group. We do have a co-op as one of the options within the support group, but we have some people who only do co-op, and some who never do co-op but who do most of the field trips and park days, but most people are like us and do a mix of a little of everything. We drive about 40 minutes to get to most activities, because they're centered where most of the homeschoolers are, and we are a little north of most people. I wouldn't drive 76 miles each way, not with very young children, unless the event was spectacular all around. (The best part about being rural and far from everything is that it forces me to be intentional and only do those activities that are truly worthwhile.)

I drive 60 miles (one way) for debate, but it's only twice a month. There is a debate club closer to us, but my family prefers the one that's farther away. If our club met weekly, and/or for a longer period during the school year, that could be a hardship on us financially. Debate runs Sept - April. But if your dc makes nationals, you're gonna pay for airfare, a hotel room and meals. ;)

Other families drive a ways to get there too, but probably not as far as we do. I make my trips count, going to some grocery stores in that area that carry things my local stores don't. Also, we often stay after and get pizza or fro yo w/ debate friends. My dc have made dear friends there, so, yeah, we travel a bit for practicing w/ speech and debate partners, birthday parties, airsoft parties, get-togethers before the kids go back to college, etc., but it is totally worth it. The way DH and I look at it (and I don't secretly mean YOU, OK?) is that we chose to homeschool our dc and we chose to live in a rural area, but we still want our dc to have great activities and to form life-long friendships. 

My youngest is in 10th. I only have 3 yrs left w/ him. For us, it's worth it!

Check meetup, yahoo groups, facebook, etc for local groups in your area.  It has taken us some time to find more active, inclusive groups, but we've found them.

We've been part of a very small academic co-op for 4 yrs now. We formed it with some friends and friends of friends.  4-5 families, we set the curriculum ourselves, and it works well for us. 

This.

It takes time to build up new friendships and bonds. Keep looking for opportunities to get involved more locally. 

I would not drive 76 miles once a week to try to meet new people, and no activity for a kinder would be that awesome that it requires that long a drive. You'll be doing enough driving as the dc get older. Stick closer to home while you still can. ;)

I knew someone that would drive that far for co-op. And was willing to drive that far to keep her kids plugged into that group of friends. I thought it was crazy and wouldn't do it. It really just depends on how much the driving bothers you. I would cut them some slack on the first day. There have definitely been times when co-op felt that I could have done this stuff at home, but that wasn't the point of co-op for me. We went to make friends, to experience having expectations from other teachers and to do things I didn't WANT to do at home. This year I feel like co-op is really worth it. My daughter is taking a sewing class which I, as a brand new sewer, am not able to teach, a glass art class, which I am completely unable to teach, and a writing class, which I am able to teach but we frequently butt heads on. And it's half an hour away. ;)

But I digress. I would explore options closer by if there are any available.

Did you know that you could purchase the Catholic Schoolhouse materials and do that at home? You could even look into starting your own chapter. I would not drive that far for any co-op. We do drive that far for a wonderful orthodontist.

If you attend Mass you could surely meet some of the other mothers with young children. I'd start there.

I have the materials at home already and do plan to continue to use them.

I just found out that we could start our own "small"  chapter in our city. I had thought it would have to be a full blown large prek-highschool co-op so I immediately ruled it out. But the director of the one I attended said theirs was always meant to be small but it grew. 

This is definitely an option now!

Check meetup, yahoo groups, facebook, etc for local groups in your area.  It has taken us some time to find more active, inclusive groups, but we've found them.

We've been part of a very small academic co-op for 4 yrs now. We formed it with some friends and friends of friends.  4-5 families, we set the curriculum ourselves, and it works well for us. 

I actually started my "moms group" through meetup. I helped organize one back home and it was the best "support group" while the children were younger. We were just starting to feel the change in the group as many of the kids went to prek and my DS was left with 2yr olds.  I do love the idea of a smaller co-op. 

I also do belong to a "homeschool support group" here. They just didn't have very many events during the summer. But perhaps this will pick now that school is in full swing!

You are right! I think that is what I was looking for (in addition to the friends). We do belong to a homeschool support group here. They just didn't have hardly anything in the summer (when we arrived) but perhaps that will change now. 

I helped organize a mom's group back home and it was the most wonderful support group while the kids were younger. Some of our dearest friends came from that group. But we were just starting to notice a shift in the group as many of my DS friends' went to pre-k/kinder (he has a late bday). 

This will all take time and I just need to be patient! I also have to remember my son is four and this won't scar him because he misses his old friends/frequent playdates. 

Thanks for the advice!

Our current meetup group is very active, anyone can post an event, so it is often simple stuff like we'll be at X park on Thursday.  Every week there are events like bowling, laser tag, roller skating, hiking, tour a local business, you name it.

Another thing would be to feel out local businesses eventually and see if they'll offer you a slot when they normally wouldn't have many clients.  They may agree to a discount for lessons, etc for local HSers as a result.  In the last state we lived, there was a big HS community, so there were discounted riding lessons, art lessons, all kinds of things for HSers because it was beneficial for both HSers and business owners, who could now expand their hrs to outside of school hrs.  Locally we have a smaller HS community in comparison, but I know there has been HS rollerskating, martial arts, etc.  If you can get some people meeting up, talk to them about whether they have any interest in doing some of these things.  Down the road, maybe call some local businesses and see if they would be interested in meeting.  I have unfortunately seen situations where many in the HS community kind of commit and then "flake out" on things like this, so that's one point to consider.  Sometimes you have to sort of help forge the HS community in your area.  I know we had some groups, but nothing that was spectacular.  Then there was kind of a spin off group that formed and is now very, very active and inclusive, so it is great. 

Thanks everyone for your advice! I am about 95% sure that we are not going to go back. It is too much for the kids and not reasonable at their age. I must be patient and wait for the good friendships to come! There are no shortcuts and we have already some great people so in time we will have a great core community.

If the visit is once a week and could be combined with other nearby activities (e.g., a museum discovery room and nice park/rec center) then I think it might be worth it.

I have never driven that far for a frequent visit with my kids, but when you add it all up, we have done a lot of driving each week.  If you have just one day when you drive a lot and you can break it up somehow, it might be worth it.

Coming back to confess add that I drove 47 miles one way weekly for orchestra for 2 yrs for my dd. This was in addition to going 60 miles 2X/month, in the opposite direction, of course.

It was a better orchestra, and she grew as a musician there, but it was stressful on the finances and tiring on my body. It as worth it, but I was glad when ds was OK w/ the local orchestra.

Parents of musicians do crazy things. I know a family that drives a ton for lessons for 4 kids and orchestras in a different part of the state.

I'm going to guess you're probably lonely more than anything.  You just moved.  You have small children.  

I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but it's pretty close (in the true "middle of nowhere," you only have mail delivery every other day, because the off-days the carrier does the other side of her route. ;) ).  However, because I have daily mail delivery, I am not as removed as I have been in other years.  lol

That said, I AM 150 miles from a shopping mall.  Thirty miles from a grocery store than has more than three aisles.  Thirty miles from church.  Ten miles from pavementĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I drive for a LOT of services and social events.  

"Homeschool Group," for example, is today.  We meet once a month. It's 50 miles away if the dirt roads aren't muddy.  If they are, it's 70 miles of highway.  

It's worth it.  Some of Buck's best buds are in Homeschool Group (his "homeschool homies" lol)  We'd even do it twice a month if it were an option.  

For that matter, I used to drive my kids 40 miles to preschool, twice a week.  It was the only one available and we loved the program.  

BUT, is a co-op a once a week thing?  Because I can say, I probably wouldn't drive my preschool/kinder 70 miles, once a week, for a co-op.  I'd keep looking closer to home.  

Though I get it.  In my area, homeschooling is really unusual.  Consequently, most kids' social events tend to be connected to school so we homeschoolers grab 'em where we find 'em!  

At those ages wouldn't something like a local Kindermusik class be much better.  We travel around a fair amount for dh's work and that is where I have met a lot of friends with kids my age.  Also the local parks if you go several times a week you will find people with kids in that age range.  I drove 45 minutes for Kindermusik and a Spanish class in one area, but we were rural and driving into the city at that time.  I did make friends through Kindermusik that time too, so I am not against driving, but what you are talking about doesn't really sound like it fits what you are looking for.

For younger children I would not drive that distance for a weekly co-op. Rather, I would invest my time and energy in finding local friends by whatever means available.

For high school I would consider a drive of that distance because high school classes are prep for college and for adulthood. It's also harder to find a well-taught high school class than it is to find elementary aged resources.

Coming back to confess add that I drove 47 miles one way weekly for orchestra for 2 yrs for my dd. This was in addition to going 60 miles 2X/month, in the opposite direction, of course.

It was a better orchestra, and she grew as a musician there, but it was stressful on the finances and tiring on my body. It as worth it, but I was glad when ds was OK w/ the local orchestra.

Parents of musicians do crazy things. I know a family that drives a ton for lessons for 4 kids and orchestras in a different part of the state.

Yes!  We are a bit insane. I think that competitive sports families travel more, though. Yikes to the families that attempt both.  :crying:

I have a DS kinder, DD prek, and DS 8month old. I wanted to join a co-op to give my kids an opportunity to meet other kids they see all the time and get to know (versus all random kids they see at the various camps/curricular activities they do at the rec center, ballet, etc). 

You said your DS K is only 4? And you have a preschooler AND a baby?  I wouldn't drive across the STREET for anything that didn't knock my socks off, let alone drive across the STATE!

When Diamond was 8, we drove 45 mins to a co-op. She made a friend who ALSO drove 45 mins to the co-op. FROM THE OTHER DIRECTION!  So we now had a 90 minute drive each way to meet up at one of our houses outside of co-op. This was an only child, and I also had 5 & 3 year olds. The friendship was nice while it lasted, and I really connected with the mom, but I wish I had been able to put more effort into local friendships and activities.

And years later- my girls are now 19, 14, & 12- their good friends are the ones that share an interest/activity, not only kids who are simply "also homeschooled." So I wish we had spent more time getting to know dance friends and karate friends who lived in our backyard rather than chasing down homeschooled friends an hour+ away who shared no interests.

Not saying homeschool friends aren't worth it- many of their good friends ARE also homeschooled, but only 1 of them went to our co-op- and their BFF status was begun and cemented in a community dance studio long before we joined the co-op.

I haven't read other answers...but here is my opinion for your kids ages. 

No, don't drive that far for co-op.  At those ages, play.  Do some colors/numbers in fun flip books you can make yourself.  Do some handwriting skills(lines going up/down/over/straight).  Go places....field trip places. And let those kids bond with each OTHER.  You don't need them out and about at this age with a group.  

If you need a group and do church find a MOPS group.  They get to play, you get nourished.  Or find a great local park play date.  That is way better for this age.  

Seriously, don't waste your time and money.  You will find the right fit later for that kind of thing.  Enjoy them while they are young and don't stress.  The hs'ers here with older kids give this advice out all the time but no one really listens to it.  I know I didn't in some areas.  But I can say now that we could have spent less time on some school areas and had more fun....they only remember so much at that age.  And if you have one like mine they may not remember anything from k-5th....so why bother with your time/money.  

Find local friends.