Menu

That's inconvenient - labyrinthitis

Laura Corin

Started mild cold symptoms yesterday.  At bed time, the room span briefly when I lay down, and it did again when I got up this morning.  Puttered about this morning as normal, then bent over to put something in a drawer, only to find myself on the floor with a sore ear from banging into the fridge on my way down.  Not a bad bang but a good warning.  

I suspect that my planned day wielding a backpack herbicide sprayer and a series of garden tools is a bad idea....  Bring on the bonbons.

L

I had to click to find out what in the world was going on with you, Laura, because I agree that labyrinthitis sounds interesting. :)

I hope you don't feel too awful. It seems like bonbons and Bleak House are better than spraying herbicide, although it's lovely to work in the garden.

My mom had labyrinthitis for a year.  She had to go on medical leave at her job because she could not safely drive or do her work due to the dizziness.  The only thing that ever gave her relief was acupuncture. Her dr's now think it may have been connected to MS as she was diagnosed a few years later with MS.  But back at the time they only Dx Labyrinthitis.  It was horrid for her and she turned in a worse b*tch than usual, very short tempered since the dizziness made her miserable.  I don't blame her.  I would go insane if I was dizzy like that, I get dizzy going on an escalator and for those few seconds I am terse.

Is this the same as Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo ? I had a bout of bppv a couple years ago & luckily there's a physiotherapist in my neighbourhood who is trained to do the physiotherapy treatment for the ear.

I only had to wait a day to see him  & during that day they put me on novo-betahistine.

I've heard some people get really sick having the treatment done but maybe because I was on the meds, it was fine for me, only a bit disorienting.

hope you feel better soon!

Is this the same as Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo ? I had a bout of bppv a couple years ago & luckily there's a physiotherapist in my neighbourhood who is trained to do the physiotherapy treatment for the ear.

No - this is just a temporary thing caused by a virus.  I hope.  

L

I think my mom has this and she's having a hard time kicking it. It will go away for a few days and then, bam! It's back for a day. Has that been your experience?

So sorry and I hope you're better soon!

Lisa

Has she had a cold recently (last month or so)? Dh was told it was being cause by residual inflammation in his sinus cavity pressing against his otis something. The inflammation was why the dr put him through a round of steroids.

I think my mom has this and she's having a hard time kicking it.  It will go away for a few days and then, bam! It's back for a day. Has that been your experience? 

So sorry and I hope you're better soon!

Lisa

It's all new to me.  Husband has the kind that recurs - when the little crystals in the fluid start to gang up on him.  Then he has to do all the weird head twists again.

L