Menu

R&S English---Writing

Shay

I'm using R&S 5th English with my ds this year. This is his first year to Hs. Although he is a 6th grader, we are finding this level to be perfect to fill in gaps. I love all aspects of R&S and we do everything in the book---the oral drill, worksheets, etc. DS likes it, too, so this is a win/win.

Most people use a separate writing program, but I'm wondering why that is the case. SWB mentions in TWTM that the R&S will adequately teach writing. I'm wanting use R&S as is for that. The writing lessons look great to me. Do others do this?

I've tried to search the forums, as I'm sure my question has been fleshed out, but I can't narrow a search down. Can anyone shed some light for me?

Yes, R&S English does a fine job of teaching children how to write (personally, I would skip the worksheets). I believe it is important to have the children do all of their work in writing, as opposed to do much of it orally. *Everything* counts as writing, even if the lesson has to do with grammar or dictionary or whatnot.

Agreeing with Ellie.  I think the writing instruction in R&S English is well done and enough.  But you will want your ds to practice what he's learned with writing in other subject areas if that makes sense.  So, IMO, he won't need additional writing *instruction*, but should practice writing more than just what is in the English book.  I hope that makes sense!

I also do not use the worksheets.

MamaHappy,

Yes, that makes sense. He is required to write daily for literature and history and I plan to monitor that closely. It just takes soooo long to do everything well that taking another "thing to do" off the daily plate will allow us to do other things with more depth, if that makes sense.

Thanks so much!

Agreeing with Ellie.  I think the writing instruction in R&S English is well done and enough.  But you will want your ds to practice what he's learned with writing in other subject areas if that makes sense.  So, IMO, he won't need additional writing *instruction*, but should practice writing more than just what is in the English book.  I hope that makes sense!

I also do not use the worksheets.

I completely agree with this.