Menu

6th Grade: Which grammar program should I use to accompany WWS?

Guest drev

Hi,

New to formal homeschooling this year.  I've got a 6th grader, 2nd grader, kindergartener and a 16 month old.  We have already started with WWS and my 6th grader is doing well after the first week.  I am still getting organized and need to choose a grammar program to accompany WWS.  I am going to use Spelling Workout and Building Thinking Skills as well.

The suggestions in WTM are R&S and Voyages in English.  (Shurley doesn't seem like a good fit for us).    If we are already doing WWS, is R&S overkill or can we simply skip the writing sections that overlap with WWS?  What about VIE, after eliminating the writing exercises, is there still enough grammar there to stand on its own?  Does VIE have sentence diagramming?  How critical is sentence diagramming?

What other suggestions do you have in regards to grammar programs at the middle school level?

Thanks!!!

Is your 5th grader using the 5th grade RS?  If I go with RS I am not sure what level to start my 6th grader in.  She is a voracious reader, but has never had formal English grammar as we just moved back to the US from Quebec where she has attended school in French from grades 1-5.  Does RS seem to be true to grade level?

Rod & Staff is good.  I would start her in the Level 5 book.

Another option is Hake Grammar & Writing.  It has diagramming as well.  You could start her in the Grade 6 book.

Hake has review built in to the lesson practice.  The review in R&S is mostly in the Teacher's Guide.  Hake is more independent than R&S.

You'd just skip the writing in both programs.

drev: Welcome!

My son (current 8th) started homeschooling in 6th grade. We paired up WWS and R&S 5, skipping all of the R&S writing lessons. I think that R&S 5 is a great place to start for a 6th grader who has not had much formal English grammar.

In 7th grade, DS did R&S book 6. I will admit that we got a bit behind with it last year, and the good intentions of finishing over the summer did not happen. Soooo...we are two weeks away from finishing R&S6. But we are going to jump straight from Book6 to Book8! I am thrilled with the results of R&S grammar.

Hi,

New to formal homeschooling this year.  I've got a 6th grader, 2nd grader, kindergartener and a 16 month old.  We have already started with WWS and my 6th grader is doing well after the first week.  I am still getting organized and need to choose a grammar program to accompany WWS.  I am going to use Spelling Workout and Building Thinking Skills as well.

The suggestions in WTM are R&S and Voyages in English.  (Shurley doesn't seem like a good fit for us).    If we are already doing WWS, is R&S overkill or can we simply skip the writing sections that overlap with WWS?  What about VIE, after eliminating the writing exercises, is there still enough grammar there to stand on its own?  Does VIE have sentence diagramming?  How critical is sentence diagramming?

What other suggestions do you have in regards to grammar programs at the middle school level?

Thanks!!!

Voyages in English 6  (1999)Writing and Grammar

Includes Model diagrams in the final chapter (17)

There is also a nice Grammar and Writing Handbook included in the book ( last section) 29 pages

I am impressed with the layout of this book and after trying Rod & Staff, this will work better for us.  

The writing is not lengthy, in addition to WWS.  

Thank you to everyone who replied so promptly.  I have decided to go with Hake - if it doesn't work out I will try out RS or Voyages in English.  Being new to this I am feeling a little overwhelmed and really just needed to make a decision and get started.

I agree with this; we stepped back one year and it's working well.

Rod & Staff is good.  I would start her in the Level 5 book.

Another option is Hake Grammar & Writing.  It has diagramming as well.  You could start her in the Grade 6 book.

Hake has review built in to the lesson practice.  The review in R&S is mostly in the Teacher's Guide.  Hake is more independent than R&S.

You'd just skip the writing in both programs.