Menu

Fitbit or something similar??

MomtoCandJ

I have the Fitbit One and I love it. It keeps me moving and motivated. I like the One because I can clip it to my bra or put it in my pocket. It records steps, stairs, miles, calories, and sleep. The cost is around $100. I don't know about the other types but knew I would get tired of wearing the Flex as a bracelet.

I've got the Fitbit Flex, and love it!! I have gone from not moving much, to 10,000 steps a day, and am very proud of myself. I love the 'friend' ability on the Flex. I find that I don't want my friends to beat me, or if they do I want to work harder the next week. Have you read The Pioneer Woman's posts about them? I also wrote about mine, http://airskull.com/fitbit-flex/ , if you want to have a closer look at how the Flex works. I highly recommend it.

I have the zip and wear it on my bra. I love that it motivates me to get in those steps. You can look at your stats on the website and there are neat little motivating things, like a big cheer when you reach your daily step goal, and badges for certain numbers of steps. You can also link to sites like myfitnesspal and they will work together on your calorie input and output. I didn't need the sleep option or anything like that, so the zip is just fine for me, and cheaper than the others.

I have a Fitbit One.  She is a berry color and her name is Fibi (Phoebe).  She is a slave driver!

I keep her in my bra most of the time...I have her synced with my computer, ipad and iphone so I don't have to continuously search my cleavage for my step count!

DH has a different brand that he wears on his wrist- but I like my Fitbit more...(DH loves to ask me my step count when I'm not near my other electronics ;) )

It has been a good motivation for me-- once my classes begin next week Fibi will be a VIP in my day-- as I'll be at the computer at least 8 hours most days (more like 10-12 once the grading begins!)

I have the Fitbit Flex and it has truly changed our lives. Not only does it get me off my butt and walking and act as my morning alarm, it has changed the way my dh (he has one too) and I view our whole lifestyle. We are eating healthier and moving more. Plus, it's fun to compete to see who gets more steps.

I never take mine off, not even in the shower, so when I do have to charge it I feel naked without it. Honestly, the best $100 I ever spent. It's one fantastic motivational tool.

If you get a fitbit product, you can join our fitbit group :)

I have a flex. I might consider choosing the One, if I were doing it over again. I chose the Flex initially largely because I have a friend who is constantly losing her fitbit, and the flex seemed like the least easily lose-able option, but it does get a little irritating to wear.  There are third-party clips that let you put it on a watchband, which would be nice, since it feels like a watch so I'm constantly looking at my wrist trying to see what time it is, but I worry that it wouldn't be secure enough.

Fitbit One has an altimeter, which might be important to you if you do a lot of hiking or stair climbing is something you want to track. I have basically no stairs anywhere, so that's not a big deal for me.

https://amiigo.com/ is fascinating to me, and I may get one when they're a little better established. It is supposed to recognize and track different types of exercises, as well as having a heart rate monitor and pulse oximeter built in. If it ends up being able to interface with the fitbit website (which I'm not counting on, but one can dream), it would be perfect. Though it looks even more big and awkward than the Flex, with less potential for adaptability.

I have the Fitbit One, and I love it. I do have a problem with periodically misplacing it. Before that I had a Striiv Smart, which I loved, but accidentally ran through the wash. It was constantly giving me challenges and had a silly built in game, but it was more motivational than others I have had. I've also used the Weight Watchers Active Link, but I constantly lose the damn thing! When I find it I will probably use it again if I join WW again. I like the Fitbit app a lot, and I think I can sync it with Spark People. I'm considering the Striiv Touch or another wristband-type activity monitor in the hope that I will not lose it all the time. :glare:

My kid's charter school is recommending the MOVband. 

https://shop.movable.com/

Certainly more affordable. The feature's options are similar, though I haven't actually seen it! 

I'm trying to get more information too. 

Has anyone actually used this? It says it measures all movement, not just steps, but it doesn't explain how it works as far as I can see.

I have the Fitbit Zip. I wear it on my bra. I've had it for a few months...  I dunno... I can't decide how I feel about it. I like that it's easy. It's definitely motivating sometimes. However, if I wasn't into walking as my primary exercise (or, I guess, running, but I can't run for various reasons) then I'm not sure it would be as useful. It doesn't track when I'm doing yoga, for example...

I have a fitbit one and love it! It's very accurate as a pedometer. I forgot to remove it from my bra, and it went through the washer and dryer today; it still works! :)

Wow, you were luck trulycrabby. I wish I had been so lucky with my iPhone when it went for a wash!

You have all inspired me to stop looking in the mirror saying "WTH????" I ordered my Fitbit, loaded some new music on my phone, and will be moving and grooving.

Thank you!

I have audio books on my phone, and I am only allowing myself to listen to them when I walk. This is greatly encouraging me to get off my ass, as I want to see what happens next. A few time, while out for a walk, I have done a couple of extra blocks because I 'couldn't put the book down'. :)

I just got the Zip about 2 hours ago.  

Note:  when you get it, use the provided "battery tool" to open the back of the case and insert the battery.  I didn't notice that was what it was and have done a lot of surface damage to the product just getting it open.  Not happy...  But it is working, and just in the past 2 hours without even trying I have taken 500 steps.  I'm just a pacer, I guess.  Not bad for sitting in front of the computer MOST of those 2 hours.  

I decided to go with the Zip becuase it was cheaper and I already know I sleep badly, which was the main benefit of the upgrade.  If I decide I like this, I'll give it to my dh and get the fancier one for me.  I hope he likes hot pink.  :0)

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm late coming to this thread, but in case you haven't purchased yet . . .

I have been the owner of three Fitbit Ones.  The One worked very well and I liked that it was discreet - I would wear it clipped to the center of my bra, where it was quite invisible, so nobody would know I was wearing it.  I liked that it would sync to my iPhone.  I kept the charger in the bathroom and would clip it in to charge each day while I was in the shower.  However, the Ones all met their demise either by getting lost or via the washing machine.  Although I tried to be extremely careful, just one distracted/neglectful moment where I didn't see it clipped onto my bra, and into the washer it would go.  Also, if you go with the One, expect that the little holder will wear out after about a year of use (the plastic tip comes off; you can try to re-glue it but I didn't have much success); you can purchase a replacement fairly inexpensively through the Fitbit website, though.

So today I am purchasing the Fitbit Flex - that's the one you wear on your wrist.  Although I'm not thrilled with wearing an obvious bracelet all the time, and I have to get used to wearing something on my wrist again (I haven't worn a watch in years), I decided to go with this one because there is no reason it should ever end up in the washing machine!  And I don't have to transfer it to my wrist each night when I go to bed / then back when I get up in the am.  I'm expecting that I'll need to buy at least one replacement wrist band per year, as the original gets worn.

Some people say that the Flex's wristband tends to pop open, and recommend the BitBelt ($5.99) to protect against this so I'm probably going to try one of those.

I also discovered that lots of people make dressier bracelets and covers, if you want to wear your Flex when you're not working out and have it not be so obvious.

Hope that helps!