Menu

National Mythology Exam

mohini

Can anybody explain how this works? I really want ds to do it this year. Do we have to get the prep materials? How do they choose different "optional" sections of the test? Can somebody who's done it explain the process to me of preparing and registering etc..? I keep going back to the website but I'm not sure what to buy and when to buy it.

Thanks!

I lead an ACL registered classics club, and give the NME, ELE, NCEE, and, this year, will start giving the NLE.

For the NME,

The optional tests are by grade.

Grades 3 and 4 only have to take the core, and after that the number of subtests increase. You can always take more. The prep materials are helpful, but not required-they'll send you the syllabus, and you can prepare from that. The packets are very class structured.

I will say that I've never seen a student benefit from taking more than the required tests. I have, however, seen several get bronze or silver due to missing a question or two on a subtest that the student was not required to take. The subtests are quite a bit harder than the core.

You print the registration form, and mail it in. About 2 weeks before the test window opens, they'll mail you the tests and answer sheets. You give the tests, and mail back the answer sheets. In mid/late May, they'll mail you the scores of your students, participation ribbons, and any medals earned. You can print certificates from the website as well. I do an award ceremony in June and give the kids their classics club awards, NME awards,and ELE awards.

We did it last year. My boys were only in 4th grade so they just did the basic section, which was required. However, kids in each level can choose to do the next section up as well.

We did not buy the prep materials as they didn't seem like the type of materials that would help us specifically. They were things like worksheets with word finds and so forth, at least from the description.

We prepped from D'Aulaires' Greek Myths. I did not understand until the test arrived what it would really cover, so I'll share what I figured out. The basic test only covers the gods and goddesses and their origin stories - basically the first half of D'Aulaires'. None of the hero stories are included. So the things on the test are:

* the names of the gods and goddesses and what they're each the god of

* the titans and the origin of the world

* the nicknames of the gods and goddesses

* the minor gods and goddesses

* the origin stories of the gods and goddesses and the characters in them

ETA: * and the symbols of the gods and goddesses too! and the Roman and Greek names! (knew I was forgetting something!)

After I saw that, I had to change how we were prepping a little to drill that information instead of the whole of D'Aulaires'!

My boys got a silver and a gold. It was a really positive experience for them. They haven't taken many standardized type tests. And, hey, a scantron sheet!

Thank you so much Dmmelter and Farrar! :seeya:I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all the nitty gritty details. You answered all the questions I didn't even know I had! I'm embarrassed to admit that we didn't do the last test because l couldn't figure it out on time. (Hence the early start for this year.) Now I know how to move forward.

My ds will focus on the main test this year. Thanks for the heads up on what to study! We just finished the MP guide on D'Aulaire's so that'll be a good resource. And yes, scantron will be fun.

Cheers!

My dd#2 listens to D'Aulaires on audiobook all.the.time.  :banghead:  She got a bronze the first year & a silver last year. She had to take one of the optional tests last year. 

So, it is doable if you just listen to it for fun.

My older two will probably take it again this year. I "host" it for my local homeschool group and we had a couple more take it the second year. We do not get the prep materials.

There is a time limit on taking the test but we've NEVER even come close to taking the whole time. Experience filling out the scantron in a no-pressure situation is priceless. I agree with dmmetler on not taking more than the required sections for your grade. Also, if someone who reads this has an older kid who wants to do the Native American optional sub-test, just know not to hand them the book where the readings are from without previewing some of the trickster tales. There are some graphic (se%ual) tales in one section. I didn't mind them, but had a friend who was really upset that her son read them. She had no idea that all the tales in the book weren't appropriate for 10 yr olds.  B)

It doesn't take a huge amount of prep either - at least not for 3rd and 4th graders taking the first section only. That's part of why I put the list of what to prep for on my post above. Really, kids who read Percy Jackson and just enjoy mythology already could spend a day or two brushing up on the myths and maybe playing a drill game or two about things like which symbol and which Roman name and be ready.

Seconding what RootAnn said about how great doing a "standardized test" like this was as an experience if your kids don't have that experience much. I often tell people it was like prepping for a tiny kid AP exam because the parameters were so clear - that's really the opposite of these standardized tests with their norming questions that the majority of kids can't get and their very nebulous, vast number of skills that they expect kids to know - not to mention all the poorly written questions on some of them. This was a clear body of knowledge with clearly written questions (though some were tricky - which one is NOT, etc. - not a one had a disputable answer like when I was teaching and administering standardized tests).

Glad to read this, I wanted DS to take some sort of test this year and and settled on the NME because of his love of Percy Jackson, he's read the books 3 times, he has also started picking up myth books at the library. I wanted this test to be light and fun, glad I picked the right one! Thanks!

It doesn't take a huge amount of prep either - at least not for 3rd and 4th graders taking the first section only. That's part of why I put the list of what to prep for on my post above. Really, kids who read Percy Jackson and just enjoy mythology already could spend a day or two brushing up on the myths and maybe playing a drill game or two about things like which symbol and which Roman name and be ready.

Seconding what RootAnn said about how great doing a "standardized test" like this was as an experience if your kids don't have that experience much. I often tell people it was like prepping for a tiny kid AP exam because the parameters were so clear - that's really the opposite of these standardized tests with their norming questions that the majority of kids can't get and their very nebulous, vast number of skills that they expect kids to know - not to mention all the poorly written questions on some of them. This was a clear body of knowledge with clearly written questions (though some were tricky - which one is NOT, etc. - not a one had a disputable answer like when I was teaching and administering standardized tests).

You can give it at home. ACL is super-homeschool friendly. The high school tests require that they be proctored by someone who isn't teaching the subject, but it can be a neighbor or the other parent (or I'll give it to someone else's DC, and they give it to mine). For the NME and ELE, a parent can give it. The main reason I do it as a group is that a) my DD needed to see that there were other kids who enjoyed the same things she did, so I started offering a mythology club that did the NME, and then, when ACL made it available, became an ACL Classics club, and that b) it saves quite a bit of money because we only pay the registration fee once and then just pay a small per student feel Since I'm going to do it anyway, I might as well give my area homeschoolers a chance to take it at a reduced rate. Last year, I gave the ELE in my kitchen to three kids, one of which was mine (The NME is a bit bigger-I have 13 3rd-10th graders in my group this year, plus 2 K/1 kids who won't test).