Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seekinghim45

Help me find a new haircut

Ok, I am so bored with my current haircut that I have had for 10 years or more..  It is a bob with bangs, layered on the sides.  Kind of like this:

http://hairstylesweekly.com/yummy-chocolate-coloured-short-bob/sexy-short-messy-bob-hairstyle-with-bangs/

My face is a little rounder than this girl's face..  I look back at pictures with my long hair and or my shoulder length and curled and think I look SO much prettier.  At almost 50, I feel like I look washed out...  I want something different, but I don't know what...  

How about something like this:

http://www.short-haircut.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Awesome-and-Fabulous-Asymmetric-Hairstyle.jpg

This is how I'm going to get mine cut next week.

I think this is cute, too:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/600x/41/36/6d/41366dcda57c8d4103fe6c39b9a10a43.jpg

ETA I somehow didn't pick up on the part in your op about liking your longer hair. I apologize for suggesting a short cut if that's not what you were looking for. I need to read more carefully. :)

You could grow it out and try something a little longer, if you liked that length.

See if you like it, and then chop it off if you don't.

I am almost 50 and my hair is longer than it has ever been. Let it grow.

This is where I am, as well. Long hair is rebellion against getting older because, baby, I still got me some hair. :D

This is where I am, as well. Long hair is rebellion against getting older because, baby, I still got me some hair. :D

Yep. And my hair dresser says I don't have to go short so there!

Has your hair gone grey? Has it gotten thinner with age?

I LOVED my long, dark curly hair. Then age caught up to me, and the curls weren;t as tight, it;s only half as thick, and they greys are taking over.

Long hair *on me* just looked like a dorry scraggly shadow of my former self.  A short bob with bangs, straightened made a world of difference. I also need to warm up my color- I'm going to use a demi-permanent caramel color. it won't change my dark hair, but it will warm up the greys. Up close I look fabulous.  From a distance and in photos I look like an old hag. :glare:

But if you go long, keep up with trims and color if needed.

My hairdresser colors the gray, and I have a lot. I also get highlights. I have naturally curly thick hair, and it is holding up well so far. It is down to my bra strap in the back, at least.

No, I guess I will brag here and say that my hair is a gorgeous blond with no gray at all.  in fact, if I am like my mom, grandmother and great grandmother I will never turn gray.  Instead in about 7 or 8 years my hair will develop white "highlights."  People were always asking my mom what kind of hair products she used because they thought it was so pretty.  She would always answer God's hair salon.  By the time I will be in my mid sixties, it will be completely white.  Of course if I follow their genes, then I will also be battling breast cancer in my early fifties..  Oh well, good with the bad I suppose. 

I guess how do you grow it out without it looking sloppy?

My hairdresser colors the gray, and I have a lot. I also get highlights. I have naturally curly thick hair, and it is holding up well so far. It is down to my bra strap in the back, at least.

I color my own to hide the gray. Mine is to my bra strap too. My dh loves it.

I color my own to hide the gray. Mine is to my bra strap too. My dh loves it.

Mine, too.  We're old broads rockin' the long haired look.  ;)

OP, That last picture you linked is really cute and would be a good style for most anyone.  You can get that look (depending on the amount of texture in your hair) with a large barrel curling iron, like 1 1/2 inch diameter.  If you have any texture at all, it should hold the curl.  If you hair is stick straight and slick, it's not too practical.

I can make my hair do about anything, but it can be a real battle, so mostly I just let it go wild and curly.

Mine, too.  We're old broads rockin' the long haired look.  ;)

OP, That last picture you linked is really cute and would be a good style for most anyone.  You can get that look (depending on the amount of texture in your hair) with a large barrel curling iron, like 1 1/2 inch diameter.  If you have any texture at all, it should hold the curl.  If you hair is stick straight and slick, it's not too practical.

I can make my hair do about anything, but it can be a real battle, so mostly I just let it go wild and curly.

Mine is curly too but I feel like it is out of control when I just let it go.  I don't thinkl it is a pretty curl...but dh does...letting it dry naturally is easy for sure.

Mine is curly too but I feel like it is out of control when I just let it go.  I don't thinkl it is a pretty curl...but dh does...letting it dry naturally is easy for sure.

Unless I flat iron mine, it is always doing its own thing.  My curl is not gorgeous, either, honestly.  My hair will have as an epitaph, "I did it my way."  lol  I gave up a few miles back on predicting what it will do.

Maybe OP needs a perm with unpredictable results.  Then she can be like us.  lol

(Sorry for the side convo, OP.  That's kinda how I roll...)

Unless I flat iron mine, it is always doing its own thing. My curl is not gorgeous, either, honestly. My hair will have as an epitaph, "I did it my way." lol I gave up a few miles back on predicting what it will do.

Maybe OP needs a perm with unpredictable results. Then she can be like us. lol

(Sorry for the side convo, OP. That's kinda how I roll...)

I love the way the hairdresser blow dries my hair.....it is beautiful! So once everyone 3 months I have gorgeous hair. LOL

They sell little snap in things if you don't mind fussing with it a little.  Changed my hair a lot.  Here's a before/after with a color change.

I've always loved Diane Keaton's hair.  For ladies with straight(ish) hair, that is a great style.

I am another 50 years old with bra strap length hair. I have to say I love some of the pixie cuts, but having long hair actually softens my facial features and I think it cuts a year or too. Or at least I hope so! If you like your picture with the long hair, you may want to just grow it out. Does your hair grow fast?

Also, do you have a regular hairdresser? You might want to give her pictures of hair cuts that you like and ask her what she thinks? 

They sell little snap in things if you don't mind fussing with it a little.  Changed my hair a lot.  Here's a before/after with a color change.

beforeandafter_zpse778026d.jpg

Wow, that made a huge difference!  So pretty.

I am another 50 years old with bra strap length hair. I have to say I love some of the pixie cuts, but having long hair actually softens my facial features and I think it cuts a year or too. Or at least I hope so! If you like your picture with the long hair, you may want to just grow it out. Does your hair grow fast?

Also, do you have a regular hairdresser? You might want to give her pictures of hair cuts that you like and ask her what she thinks? 

Once when I was about 30 I cut my hair into one of those pixie cuts.  I immediately regretted it and I coudn't grow it out fast enough!  I only have one or two pics of me with that cut and looking back I can say it was really really cute!  But I just didn't feel like me if that makes sense.  I LOVE some of the short cuts (others not so much) but I guess for me I just want to wear it long.  Feeling like I look pretty is worth a lot. 

So I encourage you to go longer if you want.....just play around a bit.  I wouldn't go shorter right now....let it grow for a bit and then if you dont like it you can always go with a short short cut.

Yeah, I really don't like the really short cuts...  I just think they don't look very feminine (I'm sorry... don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings..)  I guess I might try to grow it out.  I'm just not sure how to keep it from looking sloppy.  It is layered...  In another 2 weeks, it will not look good...  Do I just curl it?? 

Yeah, I really don't like the really short cuts...  I just think they don't look very feminine (I'm sorry... don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings..)  I guess I might try to grow it out.  I'm just not sure how to keep it from looking sloppy.  It is layered...  In another 2 weeks, it will not look good...  Do I just curl it?? 

Yes, or pin it back.  Curls and waves hide a great multitude of sins.  I like a large barrel curling iron for loose curls on the rare occasion when I take a device to my hair.

I would keep going to our stylist and tell her to let it grow.  She can keep it shaped up as you grow it out.

Did you decide on a hair style yet? I looked at the links and most of the styles I really like, but I don't have their faces! lol

It is time for me to do something too but I am very undecided. I've been waiting for my bangs to grow out for months, to where I can put them behind my ears. I am also over 50, my hair has gotten below my shoulders. When I pull it back, eh. When I leave it down it's okay, except for my bangs!

What has helped: penciling in my eyebrows; using mascara heavier than usual for me, light silvery gray and darker gray on eye shadow; lip color. I am brunette but my eyebrows are fading; my hair color I've never changed but the sun is making it almost orange on the outer layer but it gets dark brown in winter.

I dreamed this week that I had a very short pixie cut in platinum blonde, and as usual for dream state, look 15 years younger and lots of makeup.

My hair is fine, but sort of thick, lots of body, no true curl, but not straight unless I blow dry it. Then the humidity gets to it and it gets all poofy.

Kind of hard to get advice from you ladies when you don't know what I look like. :lol:

Plus, I'm having an interview this week and I really need something more professional looking.