Menu

Whining- financial aid & work study

Rebel Yell

Valuable lesson learned: Get your application in for fnancial aid & work study at the very very beginning. As in, as soon as they begin accepting them.

Diamond is *eligible* for  a small grant and work study hours, however, the school got less money than anticipated this year, and had more students than usual apply. Because they needed more info- tax transcripts- her application was one of the later ones completed/processed, so the money ran out before she got her stuff in.

She worked in the campus library last two semesters, and they adore her there- they are more heartbroken than she is.

Her application IS at the top of the pile for Spring semester- it will go in immediately on the first day it can (and yes, we have post-it notes on the calendar to remind us to follow up and be sure it does!)

Fortunately, this is community college, so the work-study hours of 10/week at minimum wage fully paid tuition, and it won;t be hard to make up just 10 hours/week. It's just much more convenient to work at school because she is already there- and can work just 1 hour/day on some days right before classes, and 3-4 hours on other days. So muchbetter thanbeing tied to an outside job's schedule.

But her friend just moved away for college, and her mom needs help with her home business- and Diamond has done the work before, so she'll just jump in there 2 days/week and it will be OK.  Plus she starts teaching dance next Monday- only a few hours, but pays more than minimum wage.

So I'm whiney, but she'll be OK. We're unable to help out financially beyond letting her live at home rent-free, including groceries and use of the car.  Plus I find great deals on her textbooks. She will graduate debt-free, this just puts a little wrinkle in the plans.

OH MY GOSH!  Happy dancing like crazy here!  Diamond just got a call that more money has become available and she can start work-study TOMORROW!!!!!!!

And she's still going to help out friend's mom on Saturdays when she isn;t at her retail job.

SUCH a blessing! 

And another happy dance- I picked up her Astronomy textbook for $3.99.  Yep- that decimal point is after THREE DOLLARS! Not three hundred ninety nine dollars, but THREE DOLLARS AND NINETY-NINE CENTS!

WIshing for good news for everyone else reading this... whatever you may need.

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: