Menu

Suggestions on where to take tween/teen for makeup training?

2squared

My oldest has asked to wear makeup, and we are OK with age appropriate makeup. I would like to take her somewhere to learn how to take care of her skin, how to apply makeup, and how to remove it. I'm looking for a fun mom/daughter experience hopefully with someone who is current on teen trends. Does this exist? My initial thought was something like Clinique at a mall, but I have no idea if that's a good idea. I don't wear any makeup so I am completely out of my element here.

I took my daughter to sephora. The woman who showed my Dd what to do was great. Showed her some techniques and talked about Dd's natural beauty and how makeup complements it not that you want to paste over it. It was expensive but going in I told Dd that this was a special treat and not a frequent occurrence.

I asked around, and several friends recommended the local Merle Norman studio because of the owner there, not the makeup.  I'm some distance away from any mall.

She pierced my daughters ears, and then did a basic make-up lesson several years later.  I was really pleased at how well she listened to our concerns and how tasteful she was in what she recommended.  We bought just a few of things she recommended to honor the time she spent, and have since gone to mostly drugstore brands.  We still have fond memories of how she handled those two appointments and have recommended her to several other people.

Youtube videos are good too.  My daughter likes Beauty Broadcast, and I like MsGoldgirl.  MsGoldgirl has a wide range of topics and price ranges, but I found her tutorials for mature women and reviews of drugstore products to be right on.

Sephora.  I tired Clinique with my second dd, but it didn't go well.  Sephora has always been great.  Even with my first, when we went the woman who did the lesson/makeover was older (60's??) and had on way, way, way too much make-up which made up nervous.  But in the end she did an excellent job, didn't push products, and made my dd feel pretty without much make-up at all.  She kept stressing how the young don't need much make-up. :D  

Sephora now requires that you spend $50 for a complete makeover session, but that is easy to do there.  

We did Sephora with both girls. We were disappointed each time. (We went back the second time because it was a different city and we thought the make up artist might do a better job.) Each time we went in, we explained my dd wanted to to use very little make up and only to accentuate certain features because she has very clear skin and didn't need anything to smooth out imperfections. We weren't interested in a base coat of foundation. Unfortunately, neither one listened to what we wanted. It felt like they wanted to sell lots of product; how better to sell than make sure it's slathered on a face. :(

The second time we went, the woman talked about how important it is to put stuff (foundation, cover up, etc.) on your face so it is all one color before you actually apply color. It made my 15 yo dd look fake. It was a good exercise in what not to do!

See, there are no makeup artists at my Sephora or Ulta or the makeup counters at the mall.  It is just mostly girls in their teens with bad attitudes and too much paint on their faces.  I'd love to work with a real makeup artist. 

Now that I think of it, I usually shop on weekends.  I wonder if I'd have better luck at 11 AM on a Tuesday??

I like make-up and wear it in the "your face is a canvas, have fun with it" way.

So I like the Ulta and Sephora makeovers :).

If I were taking my young daughter, or if I were more of a "make up is to accentuate what nature gave you" person I'd probably hit up an Avon or Mary Kay consultant. They, too, can go a bit overboard just depending on the individual ;) but I bet they're more likely to understand and respect this point of view whatever their personal make-up personality type is.

I've also heard good things about Merle Norman, but I've never seen one of those anywhere I've ever lived.

You might also try a local day spa - it would be that fun mom/daughter experience and she'd probably get to meet a team of professionals (esthetician, make-up, nails, maybe even hair). Lots of times you can find detailed online reviews from brides, there are always those who want makeup only to enhance their look not overwhelm it. They'll let you know where to try and where to steer clear of!

Honestly? As someone who nearly became a makeup artist for a living and at the last second chose college in Alaska instead? Your very best 'training' would be a family friend or yourself in a mirror, and Kevyn Aucoin's books borrowed from the library.

Practice and basic artistic and product guidelines are the cheapest and most thorough way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Kevyn-Aucoin/e/B000APUXHA

OMG, I had Kevyn Aucoin's book years and years ago (sometime in the 90s).  He was the first one I ever see do all of the contouring and stuff that Kim Kardashian and friends do these days.  

I was so sad when I read of his passing. :(

Started a reply earlier...

If you want an experience, I would go to Clinique or even better if you have an Origins counter. They both have skincare and makeup lines formulated for young skin.

I love YouTube tutorials. I like Kandee Johnson, she has several "daytime" and "school" tutorials.

OMG, I had Kevyn Aucoin's book years and years ago (sometime in the 90s). He was the first one I ever see do all of the contouring and stuff that Kim Kardashian and friends do these days.

I was so sad when I read of his passing. :(

I bought the Kevin Aucoin book for my nieces, I also bought them a Bobbi Brown book that was for teens. The Bobbi Brown book was good, it would probably still be relevant.

See, there are no makeup artists at my Sephora or Ulta or the makeup counters at the mall. It is just mostly girls in their teens with bad attitudes and too much paint on their faces. I'd love to work with a real makeup artist.

Now that I think of it, I usually shop on weekends. I wonder if I'd have better luck at 11 AM on a Tuesday??

If the department stores have Estée Lauder or Clinique then I can guarantee you they are at least trained to apply makeup. It doesn't say anything about their skill, but they are at least trained.

If the department stores have Estée Lauder or Clinique then I can guarantee you they are at least trained to apply makeup. It doesn't say anything about their skill, but they are at least trained.

Good to know!! I'm hoping to try the EL Double Wear foundation next and I have no eye for picking the correct foundation shade.

We did Sephora with great success. Dd was particularly wanting stage makeup so the focus was on eyes but dd has been able to leave off part of it for an everyday look. We both liked the fact that the makeup artist chose a color of lipstick very close to dd's. When the total was more than I wanted to spend, the artist helped us pare it down and steered us to Target to fill in the gaps. That was a great move on her part because we will be back when it is time to add blush.

Good to know!! I'm hoping to try the EL Double Wear foundation next and I have no eye for picking the correct foundation shade.

That's a hard one because there's not really a way to do a sample. For liquid foundations they can put a sample in a condiment cup.

But if you buy a color and it doesn't work Take. It. Back. Seriously, take it back. EL wants you to be happy with your makeup, they're all about customer service.

This is making me giggle because I just replied to your restaurant thread.