Menu

K girl can't memorize- help!

bleeglaser

I've taught two of my children to read so far.  Both boys.  They learned their phonograms with flashcards and lots of repetition until they mastered them.  They had the visual and auditory and the physical when we played games where they jumped on the correct flashcard.  My daughter started Kindergarten at home this year.  I've been trying to get her to learn her phonograms since she was three.  She couldn't retain the sounds so I figured she just wasn't ready.  I never pushed it.  She still loves to learn.  She's learned a few phonograms now.  There is a disconnect between memorizing though.  For example she can recognize 1-5, 7, and 0 but has issues with 6, 8, and 9.  She can remember the four sounds of O but not the two sounds of E or three sounds of A.  I don't understand it and I'm getting frustrated.  Repetition is not working for this child.  She's not catching on and she's "behind".  Behind her brothers certainly and even behind what she would be expected to know before kindergarten.  I don't know how to teach her where she will retain the information.  Any suggestions for a child that has a hard time memorizing?

Definitely cross post, but I wanted to pop in and tell you that "behind for where a child should be before starting kindergarten" is entirely relative. The local K public schools here have an END OF YEAR goal of the children reading CVC words; the entire first quarter is spent on letter recognition and basic letter sounds, with a few sight words every week.

Definitely cross post, but I wanted to pop in and tell you that "behind for where a child should be before starting kindergarten" is entirely relative. The local K public schools here have an END OF YEAR goal of the children reading CVC words; the entire first quarter is spent on letter recognition and basic letter sounds, with a few sight words every week.

I agree. Not a single kindergarten around here expects the children to know ALL the phonograms of ALL the letters, either entering or leaving kinder. A lot of reading can be taught just knowing short vowels and some letters. I wouldn't hold back other aspects of reading because she doesn't remember both sounds of E. There may be a learning challenge (my oldest has one), or it just could be she'll retain more the more she progresses and is exposed to those areas through reading.

If it's any consolation, my Ker still mixes up the short vowel sounds, and we haven't even gotten to the other sounds. Perhaps this child needs some context for what she's learning besides just memorizing? Have you started trying to teach her to read short vowel CVC words? Can she do that?