Menu

Struggling with history for 5th and 3rd grade

Kidlit

Up until this year, we've always used SOTW, more or less as TWTM suggests (though not as thoroughly). I decided over the summer to spend this year and the next doing American History with my girls and purchased Sonlight to do it. I'm not loving it, though. My girls are voracious readers, and it's painful (really, downright impossible) for them to spread a book out over so many days. Plus, I don't like not having a nonfiction spine. I have the Maestro books and have started using them alongside the Sonlight readers and history selections, but basically all we do is read. (I'm not using the Marshall book as a spine because I'm not crazy about the approach it takes.). The point of this ramble is to get some feedback about what, exactly, I should be doing for output. Narrations? How? Just read the books , discuss, and call it good?

If someone has a wonderful approach to history, I'd sure love to hear it!

This was our plan for last year. For output we mostly utilizes narrations -- oral and written via notebooking pages and hands on/interactive notebooking via easy make and learn and hands on histories from Scholastic $1 sales. We also did one bigger "project" each unit.

Oops. Forgot the link. :)

http://onemagnificentobsession.blogspot.com/2013/05/us-history-for-grammar-stage.html