Menu

Latin case order--American vs UK

Forget-Me-Not

We are getting ready to jump into really memorizing the first two declensions.  We've been using them for a while, but I've been letting my son refer to a table.  I feel like it's getting to the point where we should start to memorize them.  I'm using Galore Park, which uses the UK case order (and adds the vocative case), but I'm wondering if we should go ahead and revert to the American before we start memorizing.  Thoughts?

Most Latin classes will use American order.

My husband teaches in high school and he made the switch to UK. The biggest reason is that he uses Hans Oerberg's Lingua Latina and Oerberg lists everything in UK order. The biggest advantage I see to UK order in terms of memorizing is that dative and ablative (which are always the same in the first and second declensions and in the third declension plural) are together, and the nominative and accusative are together, so the nominative/accusative are the same in the neuter rule is easy to see. 

That being said, whatever order you use, if you know it well you will be able to function just fine in a classroom that uses another order.