Menu

Needing non-streaming video Algebra 2 course

Okay, so I'm leaning away from Math Relief Algebra 2, which I thought was in the bag, due to some sketchy feedback.  I would LOVE to be able to do regular online videos but we are rural and on satellite internet; streaming video positively decmates our monthly bandwidth allowance, and I can't afford to up our allowance at this time.  In short, can anybody recommend a disc-based video course, or a non-video course that would work will with a student who isn't a natural at math?  I want her to be well-prepared for ACT math, but not overwhelmed with advanced topics introduced too quickly, because she will end up discouraged.

Thanks for any suggestions you'd care to share!

Desiree

What do you mean by "sufficient?" Her ACT scores will be in accordance with her ability. TT isn't going to turn a non-mathy student into a math whiz, but it will cover the basic Alg. 2 concepts, and at the end of the book it will cover some statistics and probability, as well as some more advanced topics. It seems to be okay for ACT prep, but not for top ACT prep, KWIM? It doesn't have as much practice with new topics as some programs do, which may or may not affect her retention, and it doesn't offer as much practice in functions as some texts. Some people do some of the Pre-Calculus material along with it to finish the study of functions.

Other option - Use the Foerster text with Math Without Borders DVD. More in-depth material and presentation, but you could choose your own pace for her if it seems too fast.

My understanding is that the new 2.0 v of TT has a much more traditional scope and sequence. It is not the most rigorous program on the market still, but it is more on-level instead of below level like it used to be.

Other video based choices - Thinkwell, buying the DVDs. Math without Borders, Videotext, Chalkdust

Textbook based - Lial's and Foerster's are both known for clear explanations directly in the text. Lial's does have extremely cheap DVT's available and Math without Borders lines up with Foerster's. 

Just throwing this out there:  There is a satellite company offering a great promo deal. Check out Excede satellite to see what they offer in your area. The promo is not good for every area, but it is worthwhile to check, as the bandwidth difference is mind-boggling for those who have been on sat. forever (150 g for $99!!!). There are some bad reviews online, but they are mostly from people who are switching FROM cable and are stunned that there are bandwidth limitations :)  Those who switched from other sat companies give better reviews.

We have been on Hughes for years, and are switching to Excede today. If you want to pm me later to find out how the service is doing, feel free.

Just throwing this out there:  There is a satellite company offering a great promo deal. Check out Excede satellite to see what they offer in your area. The promo is not good for every area, but it is worthwhile to check, as the bandwidth difference is mind-boggling for those who have been on sat. forever (150 g for $99!!!). There are some bad reviews online, but they are mostly from people who are switching FROM cable and are stunned that there are bandwidth limitations :)  Those who switched from other sat companies give better reviews.

We have been on Hughes for years, and are switching to Excede today. If you want to pm me later to find out how the service is doing, feel free.

We actually use Exede and like it lots better than our former provider, Wild Blue.  However, we can't do the $99/month rate.  I hope you're pleased with how it works for you.

The Holt Algebra 2 DVD/ROM tutorial videos are cheap on used book sites.  You have to play them on a computer, not a DVD player, if that matters.  The text will be cheap, get the "student one stop CD" for printable worksheets (also cheap), and the teacher's book for answer keys (the only part that should cost more than a few bucks).  The "teacher one stop" will be pricier, but unless you need keys for every little thing, there will be enough assignments with answers in the teacher's book to make a course.

One more thing about Exede: videos/music can be downloaded from midnight to 5 a.m. without counting against your bandwidth allowance.  However, since it really won't work for my daughter to do her math after midnight through the wee hours of the early morning, that doesn't work out for us.  Not so bad for mom and dad, but a little hard on the homeschooling kids in the family!  If I could download and save Khan Academy lessons, that would be my preferred route, but those can't be saved to watch later.

The Holt Algebra 2 DVD/ROM tutorial videos are cheap on used book sites.  You have to play them on a computer, not a DVD player, if that matters.  The text will be cheap, get the "student one stop CD" for printable worksheets (also cheap), and the teacher's book for answer keys (the only part that should cost more than a few bucks).  The "teacher one stop" will be pricier, but unless you need keys for every little thing, there will be enough assignments with answers in the teacher's book to make a course.

Is this the DVD?  What instruction does it give -- general, based on the topics being studied?  I'm surprised there's only one.

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/9780030784378

Will it, including the student one-stop CD,  work with Windows 7?

Is this the book you mentioned:  http://www.amazon.com/Holt-Algebra-2-Student-2007/dp/0030358299/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409170832&sr=1-1&keywords=Holt+algebra+2

Or this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Holt-McDougal-Larson-Algebra-Student/dp/0547647158/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409170923&sr=1-4&keywords=holt+mcdougal+algebra+2

Thank you!

I have the Holt Geometry videos, I assume the Algebra 2 will be organized similarly.

Each section of the chapter will have a lesson with the concepts for that chapter.  Then, there are exercises.  The first section of exercises are called "guided practice" and are grouped into boxes that say "See example 1", "See example 2" etc.  Each "see example" corresponds to one video for that section.  The video will go over the concept and then work through an example problem (either the one from the book, or one that's maybe the same but the numbers changed a bit).

It was a CD set, with multiple discs, not just one CD.  

Not the Larson book, the Burger one.

My geometry set runs fine on Win 7.

HTH.

We actually use Exede and like it lots better than our former provider, Wild Blue.  However, we can't do the $99/month rate.  I hope you're pleased with how it works for you.

Well, we can't either, so I feel 'ya!  :)  We were on an old hughes modem (back when it was called direcway) and were only able to use 450m a day before falling prey to restrictions. For the same money per month we now get 20 gig and a significant speed increase.  The promotion gives us 150 g for 6  months, then we go back to the 20g we signed up for. I am sure they expect us to miss the freedom and want an upgrade.  On our part, we are finally glad to be able to do all the software updates we could never do!

Now I just have to change the email accounts….ugh…..