Menu

Sparkly Unicorn?

Firefly

Now I want pineapple cupcakes. :glare:

Would they be like pineapple upside cake?  And each one have its own slice of pineapple?  (But not the cherry -- I really don't like maraschino cherries on pineapple upside cake.)  

Would they all be baked upside down in the cupcake tin?

Can we make Impossible Cake as cupcakes?  Other upside down cakes?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would they be like pineapple upside cake?  And each one have its own slice of pineapple?  (But not the cherry -- I really don't like maraschino cherries on pineapple upside cake.)  

I was thinking more along the lines of hummingbird cake in cupcake form, but I'm intrigued by the pineapple upside-down cupcake idea. Hmm. Off to google.

OTOH, a few months ago (or maybe a couple of years ago) several of the more conservative Christian members were commenting that the board is becoming more secular.  I believe several decided to pack up and leave since the slant against their religion was becoming intolerable, they felt persecuted, etc.  I keep thinking I should keep a tally of how often people do the hand wringing about the board changing tone/people leaving, but I'm too lazy.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone did an actual study of the psychology of message boards; it would be fascinating.  

I'm sure even as we speak someone else is feeling quite persecuted.  By the way,  I am friends with several professional clowns who work closely with the homeschool community.  I'm taking screen shots of everything y'all are saying just in case this thread is deleted.

I think that's an excellent point.

If you're a conservative Christian and you know that some of your friends have had posts deleted or have been warned or banned by the moderators, you're going to think the moderation is terribly biased against conservative Christians. If you are a non-religious person and you hear about your friends having the same negative experiences with moderators, it makes perfect sense that you are going to feel there is a definite bias against non-religious people.

Neither "side" really knows what is happening to the other side.

And because part of the current moderating issues on the board involved a social group that apparently actively discussed their personal feelings about the forum, I'm sure they have developed a certain group mentality about it -- and quite reasonably so, because if they are friends and they see other friends' posts being moderated, of course they will support each other. But perhaps other groups aren't getting together on a regular basis to discuss these things -- or maybe most people are embarrassed to admit that they got into trouble with the moderators -- so they have no idea how many Christians or Buddhists or Jewish people (or whatever) are being moderated to the exact same extent, and as such, they haven't developed a sense of the moderators being biased.

I'm hoping the ideas posted in the Moderation Suggestions thread will lead to some positive results, so everyone will believe they are being treated fairly.

The thing I keep coming back to, though, is that there is truly no way for any of us to know whether or not any group of members have been unfairly targeted by the moderators, because none of us has the information that would prove it. All any of us has is a personal opinion, and as many people here like to remind us, opinions are not facts.

I think, at least for me, I'm seeing discrepancies in the same thread regarding which posts are deleted and which are kept. It doesn't require me to have any other knowledge than that to suspect some bias. However, I don't think its an anti-Christian bias.

Would they be like pineapple upside cake? And each one have its own slice of pineapple? (But not the cherry -- I really don't like maraschino cherries on pineapple upside cake.)

Can we make Impossible Cake as cupcakes? Other upside down cakes?

I'm with you on the maraschino cherries - blech! Upside-down pineapple cupcakes sound delicious. If the pineapple ring was too big to fit at the bottom, you could cut it on one side and swirl it around to make it fit - if that makes any sense.

I wonder if I could grow pineapples in TN.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pineapple-upside-down-cupcakes

Apparently you just need jumbo muffin tins. :drool5:

This appears a LOT more like you are expecting me to do it myself rather than sending me samples...  :glare:

We're in southern PA.  Chances are, you have decent weather for it, but I think you have to bring them in during cold weather.  My guy has done that with his and now I'm going to TRY to remember to do it for him!

OTOH, a few months ago (or maybe a couple of years ago) several of the more conservative Christian members were commenting that the board is becoming more secular.  I believe several decided to pack up and leave since the slant against their religion was becoming intolerable, they felt persecuted, etc.  I keep thinking I should keep a tally of how often people do the hand wringing about the board changing tone/people leaving, but I'm too lazy.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone did an actual study of the psychology of message boards; it would be fascinating.  

I'm sure even as we speak someone else is feeling quite persecuted.  By the way,  I am friends with several professional clowns who work closely with the homeschool community.  I'm taking screen shots of everything y'all are saying just in case this thread is deleted.  

:willy_nilly:

*will always be slightly suspicious of GailV from now on, she's on the clown's side!*

http://www.epicurean.com/featured/pineapple-upside-down-cupcakes-recipe.html

Ok, last night I dreamt that I found several pineapple (bushes?) in my backyard. I was ecstatic.

I believe this is the first sign that you just might be taking the threads on the Hive way too seriously...

Hmm, would it work if we start discussing lottery numbers?  I guess not if things only happen in dreams.

Ok, last night I dreamt that I found several pineapple (bushes?) in my backyard. I was ecstatic.

You know, this is a variation on a very common recurring dream that people have, in which they discover a previously unexplored room in their homes or find a treasure trove of something fabulous hidden away in their attic. I think here is one of the few places you could find people having it about pineapple plants, though :lol: (Full disclosure: Mine is usually about finding a room full of books in my house, although sometimes it's just about finding more house in my house.)

This seems like a good time to share this recipe. DH learned how to make it after having it at a local restaurant, and if you're careful, darned if it doesn't taste exactly like pineapple upside down cake.

http://www.threeolives.com/recipe/510

You have to use the good stuff though. Initially he tried to skimp and bought cheap cake vodka, and it was not at all the same, not nearly smooth enough. The Three Olives vodka and a good, not overly sweet amaretto are critical. He also adds just a smidge of the maraschino cherry juice, but skips the cherry.

You know, this is a variation on a very common recurring dream that people have, in which they discover a previously unexplored room in their homes or find a treasure trove of something fabulous hidden away in their attic. I think here is one of the few places you could find people having it about pineapple plants, though :lol: (Full disclosure: Mine is usually about finding a room full of books in my house, although sometimes it's just about finding more house in my house.)

This seems like a good time to share this recipe. DH learned how to make it after having it at a local restaurant, and if you're careful, darned if it doesn't taste exactly like pineapple upside down cake.

http://www.threeolives.com/recipe/510

You have to use the good stuff though. Initially he tried to skimp and bought cheap cake vodka, and it was not at all the same, not nearly smooth enough. The Three Olives vodka and a good, not overly sweet amaretto are critical. He also adds just a smidge of the maraschino cherry juice, but skips the cherry.

OMGosh! I love when I have that dream! I didn't know it was common.

In my dream I couldnt wait to tell you all what I found.

I see a difference between individuals or groups reacting to posts and moderators deleting posts of a certain type even though said posts do not break board rules. I would like to continue to see the message boards as a place where diverse groups of people can come together for a variety of reasons and be, for the most part civil. I don't think a bit of reflection on trends on group dynamics should be avoided. But I am just a sporadic poster and perhaps overly idealistic ( not that the two are related!). I have enjoyed many threads filled with witty repartee on a variety of silly topics but I really value the forums for the honest support, varied opinions and basic information on life in general and homeschooling in particular.

Take care all!

ETA: I am not talking about whatever went down in the social groups.. I am not talking about friends saying such and such posts were deleted. I am talking about reading threads and then seeing posts deleted without being able to see that the posts broke any rules. Some posts, with a variety of worldviews, I can tell break board rules and get deleted or edited as they should. Others I cannot figure out why they are. Sure, I may be more sensitive to noticing certain trends, but I do not believe that makes my observations irrelevant. I do think this issue is related to some members leaving. Members whose contributions were valued and who will be missed.

I'm with you on the maraschino cherries - blech! Upside-down pineapple cupcakes sound delicious. If the pineapple ring was too big to fit at the bottom, you could cut it on one side and swirl it around to make it fit - if that makes any sense.

Ooooooh, swirly pineapple rings!  You are a genius!  I sort of want to go try this right now, except it's  nearly midnight -- up late watching the US Open and listening to dh complain about Sharapova's pink shoes with black outfit.

I am crushed I did not get a pineapple at the store the other day. I thought about it but figured I already had enough fruit in my cart. :(

I bought a pineapple at the store yesterday.  I blame credit this thread!  It was delicious, but with just two of us at home, we only ate half.  The other half will be part of breakfast soon.  The top is already planted, but without youngest son's green thumb, I don't know if I give it even 50/50 odds.   Time will tell.  I tried to do what he did, I really did!

Even so, the pineapple itself was well worth the $2.50 cost - very, very tasty.  Oh, and no salt!

No, we're just going to be doomed to talk about polite issues. Weather in your part of the world ? Um...I'm having trouble thinking of tea party topics as my tea parties always have a healthy dose of politics alongside the eclairs.

Trivia. In order to be seen as civil and polite we will discuss trivia. Yay.

Tsk tsk, weather is political!  And may even be punishment from God if you listen to Pat Roberston.

And for the record I really like Pineapple.  And hope one never hits me in the head.  Someone needs to let Sparkly know that her Sparkly thread is very Hawaiian now.   :)

Ooooh!  Pineapple and bacon.  

Sounds like pizza to me.  :)

OMGosh! I love when I have that dream! I didn't know it was common.

In my dream I couldnt wait to tell you all what I found.

Does Sparkly Unicorn realize she's generated such an interesting, informative, and illusion-shattering thread?

I didn't know that dream was common. It always depresses me a little when I wake up and find out that we don't actually have a bunch of extra perfectly ideal rooms hiding away somewhere.

Does Sparkly Unicorn realize she's generated such an interesting, informative, and illusion-shattering thread?

I didn't know that dream was common. It always depresses me a little when I wake up and find out that we don't actually have a bunch of extra perfectly ideal rooms hiding away somewhere.

I have that dream too.  I love that dream, and am also very disappointed when I wake up! 

You all have me thinking about grilled pineapple chunks wrapped in crispy bacon. Is this a real thing or did I make it up in my sleep?

I like to take jalapeño peppers, scoop out the inside, fill them most of the way with cream cheese, add a slice of fresh pineapple, wrap *that* in bacon, then grill them. They are amazing.

I like to take jalapeño peppers, scoop out the inside, fill them most of the way with cream cheese, add a slice of fresh pineapple, wrap *that* in bacon, then grill them. They are amazing.

Oh. My. Word.

That sounds heavenly!

Sparkles, I hope you can see this wherever you are. See how much we love you?

ETA: just wanted you to know. :)

Thank you.  I have an over abundance of jalapenos in the garden and needed a new idea.  Sounds so good.

Anyone else feeling a little sad that apparently all the cool people had a special secret group and didn't invite you?

I am pretty sure it was a social group for atheists. The social groups are started by members for specific purposes. For example there is a weight loss group  and a cooking group. 

Anyone else feeling a little sad that apparently all the cool people had a special secret group and didn't invite you?

Honestly, yes. From what I have gleaned, it was comprised of posters I often align and click with (I thought). I have experienced a resurgence of Jr High and Sr High feelings. I have not been invited to any social groups.

I am not an atheist, though.

Honestly, yes. From what I have gleaned, it was comprised of posters I often align and click with (I thought). I have experienced a resurgence of Jr High and Sr High feelings. I have not been invited to any social groups.

I am not an atheist, though.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Nobody invited me, either, so at least you've got company. I'm not in any of the social groups -- public or private.