Menu

S/O White Washing Thread

Reefgazer

So, there was a request for this thread as a spin-off of the whites washing thread, here :

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/526319-how-do-you-get-your-whites-white/

I was so displeased with my new HE washing machine and started looking for a new one.  Many on this board recommended a Speed Queen, and so I went and bought one.  They are hard to find!  When I spoke to the sales appliance rep, she told me that Speed Queen was going to be forced into discontinuing the three models that clean clothes old school by 1 January because of energy-saving regulations that will be mandatory in a few months.  I haven't researched this and don't know if it's true; I am just taking her at her word.  So PSA:  buy your Speed Queen before 1 January if you want clean clothes, or be consigned to dirty, unwashed clothes forever, LOL!  I plan to buy another and store it in order to have clean clothes through age 100!  But if they're out of stock, I have this old, 1950's era washer (you know, the round type that has to be filled from a sink with a hose) that I guess will do in a pinch...

So, there was a request for this thread as a spin-off of the whites washing thread, here :

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/526319-how-do-you-get-your-whites-white/

I was so displeased with my new HE washing machine and started looking for a new one. Many on this board recommended a Speed Queen, and so I went and bought one. They are hard to find! When I spoke to the sales appliance rep, she told me that Speed Queen was going to be forced into discontinuing the three models that clean clothes old school by 1 January because of energy-saving regulations that will be mandatory in a few months. I haven't researched this and don't know if it's true; I am just taking her at her word. So PSA: buy your Speed Queen before 1 January if you want clean clothes, or be consigned to dirty, unwashed clothes forever, LOL! I plan to buy another and store it in order to have clean clothes through age 100! But if they're out of stock, I have this old, 1950's era washer (you know, the round type that has to be filled from a sink with a hose) that I guess will do in a pinch...

I just read a review on Amazon that said SQ will have to modify it's hot water settings so that the water is not hot, and that they will have to have a locking lid. I sure hope there is some way to undo those changes.

I just read a review on Amazon that said SQ will have to modify it's hot water settings so that the water is not hot, and that they will have to have a locking lid. I sure hope there is some way to undo those changes.

What is the benefit of a locking lid on a top loading machine? Or is that for their front loaders?

No issues with my Speed Queen washer. Bought if a few years back. I got it because on my well water, I need a bit more water to get things clean. Either that or I have to wash twice, and I don't have time for that.

I hate the idea of water saving machines that would make you wash twice. I already have a toilet that I have to flush multiple times -- uses MORE water than the old kind.

What is the benefit of a locking lid on a top loading machine? Or is that for their front loaders?

I think locking tops are standard on most top loaders now. I am not sure if you can open during they cycle and washer just stops agitating, or if washer is locked till end of cycle?????

ETA I googled accident falling into washing machine and found some tragic stories.

My clothes are still intact, and I have never had clothes ruined by an agitator washer.  But you may wear more delicates than I do.

Are the Speed Queens hard on clothes? I have been wanting to get rid of my top-load agitator washer because it has ruined more than a few items.

No kiddin'.  Except for sheets, which don't get too dirty, every load in my HE washer went through twice:  once on the bulk cycle to wet the clothes well and add some weight to them, and again on the regular wash (which adds water by weight of clothes) to add water and actually get some swishing/washing motion going.  And the darned thing wouldn't allow hot water, so bacteria-laden items (sponges, undies) felt unclean to me.  8 Loads of laundry was taking close to 12-14 hours a day.

No issues with my Speed Queen washer. Bought if a few years back. I got it because on my well water, I need a bit more water to get things clean. Either that or I have to wash twice, and I don't have time for that.

I think there is a way to muck with the settings by removing the top (saw that on youtube).  But with 2 SQ old -style, that won't be my worry anymore.  :)

As someone who line dries everything.....what I want is my old Magic Chef washer from 1970.  It was a typical top loader with a lint filter on top of the agitator that the washer would filter all of the water through as it washed.  It was great!

None of them have it anymore and there's always lint on my clothes.  I guess they just assume that everyone uses the dryer and catches the lint there.  It's very frustrating. :thumbdown:

As someone who line dries everything.....what I want is my old Magic Chef washer from 1970.  It was a typical top loader with a lint filter on top of the agitator that the washer would filter all of the water through as it washed.  It was great!

None of them have it anymore and there's always lint on my clothes.  I guess they just assume that everyone uses the dryer and catches the lint there.  It's very frustrating. :thumbdown:

My first washer was a Magic Chef! It lasted almost 20 years. At the time we lived in Georgia and didn't even need a dryer. I would have bought the exact same thing again if they still made it. This is how I ended up with the Speed Queen.

My first washer was a Magic Chef! It lasted almost 20 years. At the time we lived in Georgia and didn't even need a dryer. I would have bought the exact same thing again if they still made it. This is how I ended up with the Speed Queen.

Mine died in 1999.  It was tragic.

Do the Speed Queens have that lint filter? 

I have a working washer and another one in the shed (we brought our old one when we moved, it's my back up) and I'd throw them both over for a washer with a lint filter.

There are 3 models that fill the tub and allow truly hot water:  A 412, 512, 612 (or some numbers like that).  They all range in price (where I bought mine) from $759-$859 and have minimal differences.

How would I know what model sq to buy? Do they all clean better?

Mine died in 1999.  It was tragic.

Do the Speed Queens have that lint filter? 

I have a working washer and another one in the shed (we brought our old one when we moved, it's my back up) and I'd throw them both over for a washer with a lint filter.

No lint thing. My magic chef didn't even have that. It was new in the early nineties. My mom's machine had it growing up. I remember it sat on the agitator tower and you had to remove it to get the clothes in and out.

I use the dryer, and still miss the lint trap on top of the agitator.  My clothes aren't as clean.  I guess i need to go stock up on an extra washer.. I can't stand the HE top or front loaders.  Blech!

eta: mine was a GE.. it lasted forever!  I had it almost 15 years and got it used.

No lint thing. My magic chef didn't even have that. It was new in the early nineties. My mom's machine had it growing up. I remember it sat on the agitator tower and you had to remove it to get the clothes in and out.

That's right!  And you also had to clean it out.  There would be a wad of lint in it.  Now that lint is all over my clothes.  Boo.

If I had known then, I would have spend the money to replace the entire inner workings of that machine and kept it going.

There are 3 models that fill the tub and allow truly hot water: A 412, 512, 612 (or some numbers like that). They all range in price (where I bought mine) from $759-$859 and have minimal differences.

Yes, this. The three models are the same size, same power, same cycles. My store had the basic and middle models. I got the middle model -- I have since read that there is a weird psychological thing that makes consumers choose "up" even they don't need to. My model is identical to the basic one except for an add on switch that looks like a light switch. It allows you to do an extra rinse automatically. You get the same extra rinse in all models by simply moving the regular dial around to the place marked 'extra rinse.'

My advice -- just get the basic model.

Same goes for the dryer. The muddle model has a switch that let's a load tumble for a limited time (20 minutes? 10 minutes?) after it is dry.

Wait, so if I buy now  AWN 412, 432, or 542, they should be the older model?

My ancient machine that I bought used a year and a half ago as a stopgap measure seems to have kicked the bucket and I think I'm ready to take the plunge on these as I'm sick of disposable appliances. So I want to confirm before I go out shopping tomorrow.

Is there any reason to get the 542? I am thinking not. Not even sure how much I use the extra rinse cycle anymore.

Thanks!

I just bought the basic 400-level model because I didn't see the point in the other models for more money.  The other models had an extra feature or two that I wouldn't use anyway.  Like an extra rinse cycle; but if I want an extra rinse, I'll just put in the clothes again with no soap, you know what I mean?  Although, the price difference between the top and bottom models was only $100.

Wait, so if I buy now  AWN 412, 432, or 542, they should be the older model?

My ancient machine that I bought used a year and a half ago as a stopgap measure seems to have kicked the bucket and I think I'm ready to take the plunge on these as I'm sick of disposable appliances. So I want to confirm before I go out shopping tomorrow.

Is there any reason to get the 542? I am thinking not. Not even sure how much I use the extra rinse cycle anymore.

Thanks!

Looking online, the 542 has fabric selectors so you can do a delicate wash. Is there a way to do that on one of the cheaper models?

But even the lower two have a delicate wash. Do you need to specify delicate fabrics on a delicate wash?

My current machine looks basically like this one. The previous one, which was a newer model, because I actually bought it new, had more switches and less on the dial and was more attractive but whatever. Can't remember what the first one was; someone was getting rid of theirs and it worked for a while but was not memorable.

I'm on my third washing machine in 9 years and it's dead.

Speed Queen only sells through dealers, so you do have to deal with salesmen.

First shop I stopped into tried to sell me something else, so I said thank you and left.  Second shop, I went in, told them what I wanted and the model number, and the entire transaction (including paperwork) took 10-15 minutes.  Know what you want going in, and just walk out if they try to push something else (and many will try to push the HE washers because that's what they carry).

But even the lower two have a delicate wash. Do you need to specify delicate fabrics on a delicate wash?

My current machine looks basically like this one. The previous one, which was a newer model, because I actually bought it new, had more switches and less on the dial and was more attractive but whatever. Can't remember what the first one was; someone was getting rid of theirs and it worked for a while but was not memorable.

Is there a way to buy these without dealing with a long interaction with a salesman? I find that exhausting. I almost slugged the last salesman I met, and told my husband no way would I give him my money, and he bought one somewhere else. Yuck. But the shop that sells Speed Queens is upscale.

Is there a way to buy these without dealing with a long interaction with a salesman? I find that exhausting. I almost slugged the last salesman I met, and told my husband no way would I give him my money, and he bought one somewhere else. Yuck. But the shop that sells Speed Queens is upscale.

I had to go to a local, independent appliance shop because they handle brands that Home Depot and lowes don't carry. My experience was quick and painless. They were happy to sell me exactly what I wanted. Their prices were comparable to the lowest prices I saw online. (They know you look online first.) It was a 10-15 min transaction. I went back later that year to buy me Meile vacuum from them. Those small places can have excellent service.

Of course, there's always Amazon . . .

Delicate cycles: On my current machine, there are different speeds of washing and spinning. There is a separate dial on mine (10 yr. old Kenmore) that goes fast - slow - extra slow - intermittent extra slow. I can do handwashing in my washing machine! I think the dial is time washed, rinse, spin. So the upper SQ has a fabric dial, what do the lower ones have?

I have the lowest end model.  It has 3 temps (hot, warm, cold), several load sizes varying from mini-extra large, soil level, and cycle settings (prewash/soak, delicate, regular, permanent press). 

Delicate cycles: On my current machine, there are different speeds of washing and spinning. There is a separate dial on mine (10 yr. old Kenmore) that goes fast - slow - extra slow - intermittent extra slow. I can do handwashing in my washing machine! I think the dial is time washed, rinse, spin. So the upper SQ has a fabric dial, what do the lower ones have?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the lock is so you can't reach in while it's agitating. I know a woman who decided to open her top loader when it was on a spin cycle and attempted to grab a wet towel. It was not a smart thing to do. She ended up with a fractured arm!

My top loader used to sometimes need to wash twice to really do the job, even for a small load. I've never had that happen with my front loader, but I struggle to keep the front loader free of odor.