Menu

Well-Trained Fitbits - Only 5 Days Left!

JumpyTheFrog

I have slacked off quite a lot from my initial obsession, but it still motivates me to move a lot more than I did before. I have to be careful when I exercise too much because my appetite seems to increase exponentially. Sure don't need that!

WTM Fitbit has taken me over!  My SOLE motivation to walk last night the extra 4k steps was that I REALLY wanted to be in the number 1 spot for the past 7 days (when I synced at 11pm CST last night, I was second).  I am walking with a very achy back and strained knee, but I.will.stay.in.top.10.   :lol:   

I lost a week this month due to some rough personal days, but I am back and walking.  I had my first 20k+ day last Saturday.  I hit 10k+ everyday last week (most were 16k+).  I dragged DH one more time around the lake to get those last steps last night.  :)  We both hobbled (actually hobbled with strained knees) home, and the kids were calling wondering where we were.   :huh:

...and I just want to say THANK YOU WTM!  Clearly this has been great motivation for me.   :hurray:   Please tell me we are doing this again in September!

What's with the insane mileage on the FitBit site?  Strange.

The Fitbit is working! 

I purchased the Flex in early July because I knew I wasn't walking as much as I need to. Back in the days before chemo, I used to walk 2.5 miles every day. Chemo blew that...and I got seriously out of the habit. Having a Fitbit reminds me to get up from my computer and walk a bit. When I started I was only getting about 2500 steps a day. Now I'm up to 5K a day. I've had some 10K days--and I'm not ready for those yet. :) 

I love that I can compete with myself every day. I enjoy checking in to see how y'all are doing, too.

Happy walking, everyone!

WTM Fitbit has taken me over! My SOLE motivation to walk last night the extra 4k steps was that I REALLY wanted to be in the number 1 spot for the past 7 days (when I synced at 11pm CST last night, I was second). I am walking with a very achy back and strained knee, but I.will.stay.in.top.10. :lol:

I lost a week this month due to some rough personal days, but I am back and walking. I had my first 20k+ day last Saturday. I hit 10k+ everyday last week (most were 16k+). I dragged DH one more time around the lake to get those last steps last night. :) We both hobbled (actually hobbled with strained knees) home, and the kids were calling wondering where we were. :huh:

...and I just want to say THANK YOU WTM! Clearly this has been great motivation for me. :hurray: Please tell me we are doing this again in September!

What's with the insane mileage on the FitBit site? Strange.

Holy smokes! I have never hit 16k! You are awesome!

I wanna play!! Are we doing this in September? I try to get in 10,000 steps daily. We were at the beach last week and I didn't walk nearly as much as I thought I would ( helping to watch 8 children on the beach may have had something to do with that;) but one night I was literally steps away from hitting it and so I just walked around the bed in our room. Seriously. 

You guys are hysterical! The ladies in the dance lobby are looking at me weird because I just burst out laughing!!!!!

Yes, I, too, have mapped out a track around the inside of my house with calculated steps to reach that next big number before midnight. I have hobbled half naked around the downstairs until DH has insisted I come back to the couch to finish the show! :)

Yes, I was crazy crazy proud when I reached 24k last Saturday. But I hurt so bad Sunday I couldn't do it again. When we bought our fit it's back in June, I was getting 3k on a good day. I was so happy to reach 5k, then 8k, then fireworks when I hit 10k, then 12k, then 15k, then 16k. I averaged 16k last week! Insane! My goal right now is to hit 15k a day without my body or mood falling apart. I just treated myself to a camelbak so I can walk in daylight.

So keep stepping WTM! You can do it!

Ha, dh would love it if I walked around naked :lol: ;)

I wish our leaderboard counted flights of stairs. I'm averaging 15 without any extra effort (dd19 lives on the 4th floor---she smokes me some days!)

And how the heck do you get active minutes? I understand running vs walking, but I kill myself on the elliptical twice a week for naught (well, for maybe 3 "active" minutes out of 60).

I think stairs aren't counted because Zips don't count them.

Maybe your torso is too still on the elliptical? How many steps are you getting for each session? I found out last week that mine doesn't pick up steps on the treadmill if I am going below 1.6 mph when using the treadmill desk.

Maybe your torso is too still on the elliptical? How many steps are you getting for each session? I found out last week that mine doesn't pick up steps on the treadmill if I am going below 1.6 mph when using the treadmill desk.

The fitbit says I do about 6800 steps for a 60 min elliptical session (I would get 8000-9000 walking). The elliptical says I do the equivalent of 4.9 miles.

I like mixing in the elliptical (normally I walk outside or on the treadmill depending on the weather) because it works different muscles. I'm on dh to get a rowing machine or a bike thing.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Is this a Social Group? 

I've had a Fitbit for years! (The Ultra). 

Can I join?

It's on the Fitbit site. I think it's a public group, you just search Well Trained Mind under Community Groups. I think it's set up to go through August only. I'm not sure who set it up but it sounds like a lot of people would be happy to see it go longer. Me included! 

I've learned that I have a very short stride compared to a lot of you guys and I'm apparently fairly inefficient. :)  I'm currently #7 for steps, #10 for miles and #4 for "very active minutes". 

We definitely need to do a new challenge for September. Tonight Mr. Hoppy walked a mile each way to the grocery store to buy one box of donuts. He wants to try to move up at least one more spot.

Every day my kids (8 and 5) ask me if I am beating Melissa M. yet. Last night I had to park at the far end of the parking lot and Little Guy asked me if it would get me enough steps to win. Both have offered to cheat for each of us by wearing our Fitbits. They can't understand that why we want to do it without cheating.

I'm so we did this challenge. It raised my daily average from 7,000 in July to about 10,300.

And how the heck do you get active minutes? I understand running vs walking, but I kill myself on the elliptical twice a week for naught (well, for maybe 3 "active" minutes out of 60).

I just walk really fast when I do walk. Also I do Leslie Sansone inspired moves while I am doing the dishes and watching any shows. I don't run unless something is chasing me. 

We definitely need to do a new challenge for September. Tonight Mr. Hoppy walked a mile each way to the grocery store to buy one box of donuts. He wants to try to move up at least one more spot.

Every day my kids (8 and 5) ask me if I am beating Melissa M. yet. Last night I had to park at the far end of the parking lot and Little Guy asked me if it would get me enough steps to win. Both have offered to cheat for each of us by wearing our Fitbits. They can't understand that why we want to do it without cheating.

I'm so we did this challenge. It raised my daily average from 7,000 in July to about 10,300.

My very active almost 8 year old is always telling me he wants to wear my FitBit to "get me more steps". He doesn't know about the challenge he's just trying to be helpful. He doesn't really understand when I try to explain that it doesn't do me any good if he is the one taking the actual steps. :) 

Well, our first WTM Fitbit month expires in the next hours!  Great job everyone!     :hurray:

I've said many times how much I enjoyed having the WTM Fitbitters to "compete" against!  I've been more purposefully active this month than I have in the last 9 years. Over the last nine years I have gained 75 pounds through 3 pregnancies, 1 tough move, and a hormonal mess at 40.  It isn't pretty.  While all this walking (about 60 active min/walk-day) has not effected any weight loss miracles, I am getting stronger (and achier--is that a word?) and coupled with restricted, healthier calories, I've lost 7 pounds this month.  Not breaking any records, but at least the scale is finally moving in the right direction.   :coolgleamA:

I hope all of you found some inspiration this month just to move a little more than you did last month.  I'll be on the look out for the September challenge tomorrow!