Menu

Sewing kit project for a young boy

My 9 yo ds has taken an interest in sewing.  We have a small sewing kit so he has found scrap felt, needle & thread and is now creating all sorts of things.  I'm not a seamstress in any form!  I'm interested in getting him an easy sewing project but am only finding girl stuff or stuffed animals that say 12+ and look far more complicated than my skill set.  Do any of you know of any simple sewing projects geared for young boys that don't require much adult help? 

My son loves to make curve stitching pieces 

https://www.google.com/search?q=curve+stitching&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=MLT6U4yfAqS5igKO5YGwBg&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667

Cross-stitch or embroidery patterns of things he likes?

My kids also have gone through a period of making little creatures, like these monsters:

http://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/2013/1/28/stl-felt-monsters-to-make-with-your-kids-plus-free-mix-n-mat.html

Oh! And my kids built crazy things out of plastic canvas last summer. Cars, houses, robots - it was really fun! 

My son did some cross-stitching a while back.  If you go to Michael's or a sewing store, they have the cross-stitching aisle with the kits (they include everything - the thread, the needle, the pattern, etc).  I think he bought a chameleon and an owl.  It seemed like they had birds like cardinals and stuff.  He needed manly cross-stitching, though...he didn't want stuff that was pink, ballerina shoes, pictures of Grandma's Cottage (no offense to any grandmas out there!).  He wanted animals and things with darker colors.  I made sure I bought him the cross-stitching with the color patterns already printed on the plastic.  

It's not exactly sewing with needle and thread, but would he enjoy making moccasins? You can buy a kit at craft stores. Depending on the child's skill level, you'll need to help a bit. But they're fairly quick to make and something he can actually use when he's done. Just watch the sizing. If in doubt about what size to get, call the company before you buy. (It's disappointing for a kid to do the work and not be able to use them.)

Is he into minecraft or angry birds, or stuffed animals? He can cut simple shapes, and stitch them together, then stuff with batting. Someone mentioned the Sewing school book. There is also a set of books, by? Winky Cherry. They are older, but nice books.

There are some great projects in One Yard wonders. They have produced another or several book spin offs of that one too I think in the last few years.

You might also look up he book Cute Stuff, it's a Japanese stuffie type book. If you find that one, there are others similar to it, different themes. Not everything inside is girly.

And, you might look for some Japanese "zakka" sewing. There is one printed in English, called zakka sewing. That one might be more machine sewing, but some projects might be able to do by hand.

Also, if there's something that you need around the house, that makes a great project for any kid. My older two made me some (dear but very wonky) potholders that I use all the time, and it really means a lot to them that they've made something functional and useful. I think a lot of kids' projects in the younger ages are more process than product, but it's nice to have something that sticks around.