Menu

SOTW food?

Eagle

I kind of do a DIY history program and add in historical and ethnic foods whenever possible. I just look up recipes online for each period or place we study. My goal is to be as authentic as possible, so we've made and eaten things like Roman garum, hardtack, jugged hare, game pies, acorn fry bread etc... We are adventurous eaters and love this sort of thing. I've never needed a separate book, everything is online.

Egyptians and Their Neighbors definitely has some good recipes to try. We got the book from the library and I ended up having to copy a couple of the recipes we hadn't tried yet because someone else had put a hold on the book. For the most part, I do the same thing Momling does - there's loads of good stuff online, and I've been able to easily replace recipes that didn't sound very appealing or had ingredients that would be challenging to find. After I replaced a recipe this way the first time I started looking online to see what other options I could find whenever a cooking project came up and I've been amazed how much is out there.