Menu

Love, love, love the hanging file planning system

Last year I was so stressed out and overwhelmed trying to plan from week to week that I was determined to do something different for this year.

So after reading many prior posts, I opted for the hanging file folder system with 34 folders/weeks for the year. I then planned out each subject individually by week and made a master schedule by week with all subjects. I then tore up all the books-except math-and printed out any worksheets and filed everything in my folders.

So far I absolutely love it! My dd even remarked yesterday that she liked the "worksheet" type feel rather than having to maneuver a big book. It was less overwhelming for her.

I did wind up making a master weekly schedule by day that I will update every two weeks just to further refine our schedule but I can live with that.

Dd did ask me to tear up the math book too. Not sure I can do that yet-JA maybe but not AOPS PreAlgebra.

Thank you Hive!!!

I have been doing this for a few years now too and really like it. I schedule by the week. Then prepare the folders accordingly. I always have a loose plan for how a particular week unfolds, but I keep that a little flexible. My week by week plans are what keep me on track for the year. There were times last year that we ended up needing a week and a half to finish a Week folder, but we just keep plugging along in that folder til it is all done and then move to the next one. I had done the work box system before this one, and it just didn't work as well for us.

I tried it this year and am loving it too! I have found that I need to staple together the pages for some of the subjects for the week like math (Singapore 3) or else we are flipping them around looking for them. I rip them off the pile when dd is ready to actually do the particular exercise.

I did the same thing this year, and we love it. I did 36 weeks, and just have the weekly schedule though... No master. We, also, are doing block schedule this year for content subjects which the girls like, too.

We are doing LA & Math every day. We are rotating science and history every other week. So far I really like this too.

Last year I was so stressed out and overwhelmed trying to plan from week to week that I was determined to do something different for this year.

So after reading many prior posts, I opted for the hanging file folder system with 34 folders/weeks for the year. I then planned out each subject individually by week and made a master schedule by week with all subjects. I then tore up all the books-except math-and printed out any worksheets and filed everything in my folders.

So far I absolutely love it! My dd even remarked yesterday that she liked the "worksheet" type feel rather than having to maneuver a big book. It was less overwhelming for her.

I did wind up making a master weekly schedule by day that I will update every two weeks just to further refine our schedule but I can live with that.

Dd did ask me to tear up the math book too. Not sure I can do that yet-JA maybe but not AOPS PreAlgebra.

Thank you Hive!!!

So happy to hear this! I've been burning the candle at both ends in an attempt to set up our file system for the first time before we start school in September. Glad it has been successful for you.  

I've decided on 40 files, but every 5th week is super light to allow for catch-up.  My plan is just to bump any unfinished work into the next week's folder.  At the end of the day (or week) I'll journal our accomplishments (after the fact) in a planner so that I have a record of things; no more feeling guilty about not getting to everything I had planned in advance, I hope. I haven't included every subject in the file, because my pacing on a few of them (math, phonics, and reading) is unpredictable and based on my child's speed acquiring mastery.  So I've kept these subjects on a "do-the-next-thing" plan. (Which shouldn't cause any problem as there is, for me, no prep involved in them.) But otherwise, it's all in the file and ready to go. Content subjects, certain skill subjects, memory work, timeline figures… so nice to have that all done! Hope it works out for me as well as it has for you.  :thumbup:

I'm liking this for kg stuff. My older kid uses curriculum where you 'do the next lesson', so I think it would be redundant to make a file for her. What about things like SOTW work where you read, answer questions, make narration, color a page. How do you work those parts into a weekly file? All the material is in the activity guide.

Kindy work is different. With files, I can be sure we get to all the letters, numbers, and other stuff I want to do without losing or misplacing papers.

Thanks for the idea! A quick Pinterest search helped me find visuals.

Do any of you have a blog with a post about this filing system? Or maybe even some pictures? I'm a visual learner. :) I really would like to do something like this.

http://classicallyhomeschooling.com/simple-filing-system/

http://happydayhomeschooling.blogspot.com/2014/07/planning-year-system-that-works-even-if.html

I can't find my favorite blog about planning this way, sorry.

My 11yo needs to feel more independent, so he loves his weekly folders!

http://www.chaosappreciation.com/blog/2013/07/homeschool-organization-weekly-folders/

HOW TO CREATE FOLDERS: This is not my blog, but it pretty much how I do it with two exceptions. First, I hole punch our material and use folders with fasteners. Second, I divide our materials into 32 folders instead of 36. This builds in 10 days each semester toward our annual 180 day requirement for field trips and other stuff.

In addition to his weekly folders, we have a monthly calendar where I have listed things like books to be read and science/ social studies topics to study that month. Before I wrote in any school, I wrote in birthdays, holidays, and anything that might take time from our regularly scheduled program. This gives me a clue as to which months might need to be a little lighter.

Here is a video showing how to make a monthly calendar.

Yay, folders! :D

Mandy

Sounds like a great system.

Does the finished work go back into that same file folder or?

We did lapbooking for a while and now we put ours in a 3 ring binder notebook. It makes for a nice presentation when someone asks, "What have you been learning in school?" All the history narrations, coloring pages, photos of projects, geography,  fine arts activities, a list of read alouds, etc. all go in there.

There's a huge thread about it here: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/189482-does-anyone-incorporate-a-filing-system-for-lesson-plans/

that has links and some photos, etc.

Do any of you have a blog with a post about this filing system? Or maybe even some pictures? I'm a visual learner. :) I really would like to do something like this.