Menu

How could you do this to me Earth Balance!!!

Slartibartfast

Yup, probbly the algal oil added in the mix. They're doing it because Omega-3 is the "in" thing hence the fish oil in milk. I think at one point SmartBalance had an omega-3 one listed as vegan that actually had fish oil in it. Oops!

If you're looking for a spread with Omega-3 that doesn't taste like fish, the Smart Balance Flaxseed Oil one isn't fishy. A tad grassy, but not bad and still vegan.

• 3 months later...

Butter, people, butter from grass-fed (pastured) cows.

I miss butter! Dairy makes my nursing infant's colon bleed, so I'm not going to eat it at the moment. I'm stuck with Earth Balance soy free. They have a new organic coconut spread that looks intriguing and is soy and dairy free. I haven't found it locally yet.

An aside but I think few people realize that most margarines are not vegan. Becel for ex has one variety that is vegan, the others all contain milk ingredients. If you're trying to avoid dairy in a spread, it's not as easy as just avoiding butter.

As far as I am aware earth balance, Becel, and some smart balance varities are the only actual vegan butter alternatives.

I miss butter! Dairy makes my nursing infant's colon bleed, so I'm not going to eat it at the moment. I'm stuck with Earth Balance soy free. They have a new organic coconut spread that looks intriguing and is soy and dairy free. I haven't found it locally yet.

After I figured out you guys were all vegans or had other compelling reasons for "no butter", I thought of homemade spreads, i.e. avocado or hummus. Or does it have to resemble butter in appearance? For those who mix it in mashed potatoes, someone told me they were creaming turnips and mixing them in....sounds interesting at least. :)

As far as I am aware earth balance, Becel, and some smart balance varities are the only actual vegan butter alternatives.

Becel vegan is vegan as far as ingredients but it's owned by unilever which does conduct animal testing on some of their products (not this margarine though) and is thus avoided by some.

How would you bake cookies with avocado or turnips? They use fake butter for stuff like baking.

Many bake with coconut oil if they cannot use butter. I only sub coconut oil when shortening is in the recipe but evidently it has worked for some people.

...Turnip Cookie...perhaps something to explore. :)

I use vegan margarine in baking, on toast, in sandwiches. We also use other spreads but I grew up on european rye bread and butter and still love that as a snack :)

Oh yes, yum! We could snack together on rye - yours topped with earth balance and mine with butter. :) Are your ancestors Scandinavian? Here in the (Western) U.S. this kind of delicacy is not enjoyed by many.

Many of my vegan buds are loopy about coconut in lieu of margarine because it's not as processed and doesn't have "chemicals". I think it's a naturalistic fallacy but anyway....

Yeah, I have a friend who sells DoTerra and posted today about using essential oils to fight cancer instead of "poison." So, I know how that is.