Menu

Fellow boardie needs help with sleep aids! (Added more info)

Catwoman

One of our boardie friends here has asked me to post and ask for suggestions about some sleep aids that might work for her.

She doesn't want to post under her regular username because she's going through some tough times right now and doesn't want to get into any details about it. I can understand that she wants to keep her personal life private, so I agreed to post her question for her.

She currently takes these medications -- Ativan, Treliptal, and Seroquel.

She has tried taking Benedryl to help her sleep, with no success. She has also tried using a sundown/sunup lamp alarm clock, as well as staying off the computer for at least a few hours before bedtime. She has a white noise machine in her bedroom. She changes the bed and puts on clean sheets and she takes a shower before bedtime... but she still can't sleep because it seems like she can't get her mind to shut off.

Obviously, this is extremely stressful for her. She is absolutely physically exhausted, but she still can't fall asleep.

If anyone has any suggestions at all, please post them. She would appreciate any and all ideas!

I never ask this, but I'm going to request that no one quote this post, in case our friend asks me to delete this post in a few days.

Also, I hope no one will speculate about the boardie for whom I'm posting this request. I can't tell you who it is, but I can tell you that it is someone you would never suspect, as she has never mentioned any of her issues here in the past, so it won't do anyone any good to hunt through old threads to try to figure it out. :)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

EDITED TO ADD: Our friend just sent me a PM to tell me that I should also let you know that she is bi-polar and she's in a mixed state episode. I honestly don't know what that means, but hopefully some of you guys do, and will be able to add more ideas based on the new info.

Trazadone.

Yes.  If it doesn't interfere with any of her meds, trazadone is excellent for sleep.  

Small warning: double check the med interaction checkers!  I convinced my mom to ask about trazadone instead of ambien (issues with ambien), and she ended up almost in the hospital with extremely high liver enzymes.  Yikes, it was scary.  Always check those meds, don't just trust your doc or the pharmacist to catch it!  (That's my PSA of the day.)

Just a tip I've heard, don't take the antivan to close to bedtime. In some it causes insomnia if you do. Oh, and it's Trazodone, I spelled it wrong. (Regarding post above I wrote). One more thing, the boardie should report this to her prescribing Dr. It's their job to help the patient find a combo that works. Good luck boardie!

If she is already taking anxiety meds she could look into hydroxyzine. It is an antihistimine but is also used to treat anxiety and can act as a sleep aid. If she has tried using Benadryl for sleeping then it would be a good thing to try next. It will work better for that purpose than Benadryl would.

It isn't OTC, she would need to discuss it with her Dr.

What kind of sleep problems is she/he having?  Trouble at sleep onset?  Trouble staying asleep?  What medical conditions does this person have out side of normal stress?  How much caffeine?  Is this person a smoker? 

There is no magic pill.  I have worked in sleep for a lot of years.  If you want to PM me their answers I will give what solutions I think could work or have work for others in the past.

1st. She should not add anything, not even OTC vitamins without discussing it with her doctors first.  IF the doctor gives her the go ahead to try a pill, then also clear it with the pharmacist to make sure it is safe in combination with what she is taking.

2nd. Ask the doctor to test her Vitamin D, B12, Ferritin (iron stores), calcium and electrolytes ( magnesium) etc).  Some vitamin deficiencies can manifest as sleep issues and having ferritin in even the low normal range-can lead to restless leg-which affects sleep. 

3rd.  A sleep lab study will help to figure out why she is not sleeping.  Some people feel that they are not sleeping due to emotional issues, but it is actually the other way around.  Lack of quality sleep can lead to a weakened emotional state.

4rd Acupuncture and yoga or other purposeful work on relaxing not just the mind but the physical body as well.

5th a little prayer and positive sticky sleepy vibes for our boardie, from a fellow insomniac. 

DD takes something called power to sleep PM.  It has melatonin, passionflower, and valerian root.  Be careful, because they can lower blood pressure, so boardie should check w/ her doctor.  Also, one thing I do to help w/ insomnia, is kind of like daydreaming.  I know there's probably a scientific phrase for it, but I start daydreaming about something and only think about that thing.. if anything else tries to pop into my head, I  tell it no, and go back to my happy place.  hth

I've been taking Ambien for years with no negative side effects. Since she's on those other meds, her doc should be able to prescribe something. If I was not getting any sleep, I would definitely be on the phone with the doctor, insisting on something. Sleep is seriously important.

The meds suggest bipoloar. As such, I'd caution against sleep aids as a first choice. It is **exceedingly** common for people suffering with bi-polar to also have a substance abuse prone brain and/or use meds to *self* medicate.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd suggest DBT and mindfulness - both brain changers/healers.

She has or hasn't tried melatonin?

There are orange glasses on amazon that block blue light. They are pretty inexpensive if I remember right. I think they make a difference for me. If she's home in the evening anyway, it's worth it to try.

I would strongly consider consulting with a cognitive behavioral therapist. There are studies showing it to be effective with insomnia, alone and combined with medications.

Our fellow boardie wants to thank everyone for all of the suggestions so far, and she also wanted me to let you know that she is bi-polar and that she is in a mixed state episode. (I also added that info to the OP.)

I will be the first one to admit that I know very little about bi-polar disease, but I'm hoping that many of you are better-informed about it than I am, and will be able to offer more advice and ideas.

Thanks for all of the help so far -- I know our friend appreciates it! :)

1st. She should not add anything, not even OTC vitamins without discussing it with her doctors first. IF the doctor gives her the go ahead to try a pill, then also clear it with the pharmacist to make sure it is safe in combination with what she is taking.

2nd. Ask the doctor to test her Vitamin D, B12, Ferritin (iron stores), calcium and electrolytes ( magnesium) etc). Some vitamin deficiencies can manifest as sleep issues and having ferritin in even the low normal range-can lead to restless leg-which affects sleep.

3rd. A sleep lab study will help to figure out why she is not sleeping. Some people feel that they are not sleeping due to emotional issues, but it is actually the other way around. Lack of quality sleep can lead to a weakened emotional state.

4rd Acupuncture and yoga or other purposeful work on relaxing not just the mind but the physical body as well.

5th a little prayer and positive sticky sleepy vibes for our boardie, from a fellow insomniac.

I agree with #2 here. I'd also have the doctor check folate levels too, along with MTHFR. It's a gene mutation that 60% of the population has. It affects the absorbtion of folate and B12 and that can affect sleep. I'd recommend looking into bipolar and MTHFR. They can be linked.

She needs to talk to her pdoc. If she's in a mixed state, then the mania is likely what is keeping her up and exacerbating the instability. Doc may prescribe something like trazadone or clonidine to get her on the right track, but she shouldn't take any other supplements without clearing it with the doc first.

Meds for bi poplar can cause sleep issues all on their own.  I recommend getting a sleep study to see how they are effecting the brainwaves and if that combo is causing arousal and or breathing issues (not obstructive sleep apnea). Maybe talk to the dr about adjusting dose.  Requesting blood work on Vit D levels, potassium and Vit B.

Also I recommend trying to keep a strict as she can routine.  Same wake same bed same eating and drinking.  Limit artificial sugar and caffeine to bare minimum (or none).  That way the body knows what to expect and learns to shut down.  Even if you get a little sleep get up and go about routine (be careful driving and avoid if necessary)

Good luck

I had Ferritin levels in the low normal range and a vitamin D deficiency (severe) and did not know it. It affects my ability to fall asleep and my ability to go back to sleep if I wake up and I had restless legs for years. It took several years to find and fix the problem. So, please ask the boardie to get her Ferritin levels and vitamin D levels checked.

Please ask the boardie not to take any medicine (even OTC) that the doctor did not prescribe. Only a doctor or the pharmacist knows about drug interactions.

She doesn't want to post under her regular username because she's going through some tough times right now and doesn't want to get into any details about it.

Best wishes to the boardie.

Glad there are so many folks sharing ideas she/he can bring to the doctor.

I have taken meds to help me sleep for years because of thyroid and pain issues. As I age they don't help as much, but a few things have helped some. Yoga and meditation helped, but it took me time to get into them. Earplugs and a facemask help loads. I am one of those sensory sensitive people who thought I could *never* tolerate them, but it didn't take too long. Now I can't sleep without them. I hope some of all these suggestions help.

I have bipolar and recognize those meds. Seroquel can keep you awake. Once I got my meds setted, I started a sleeping med too because I just can't sleep without one. I've tried a few but have settled on Ambien. Some people don't like it, so I'd try something else first. Sorry, but when I'm in a manic state, I can't sleep at all without assistance. OTC meds have zero effect.

I have to run out and can't read through all the replies.... but :grouphug:  to the member who can't sleep.

This may not be what you are looking for, but there are these great hypnotic aps from this guy named Andrew Johnson (ayup... like the president) ... a couple are free so you can see if you like him... one is called something like "Relax" and the other one is "Power Nap"... they are awesome....

He wakes you up at the end (on purpose, after all, you asked for a power nap!), but there may be some that don't wake you up that cost a couple of bucks.

He is Uber relaxing and I feel great after listening to him.

HTH and good luck!!

Melatonin can cause nightmares.

One of our family doctors told us that cognitive behavioral therapy is the best remedy he knows of for sleep trouble. 

Mindfulness meditation has been proven an effective treatment for insomnia.  You can start mindfulness meditation anytime - just look it up on youtube.

but she still can't sleep because it seems like she can't get her mind to shut off.

This is key. This is part of how my manic episodes exhibit. My thoughts just go round and round, rapidly. I've been known to grab my head and yell Shut Up! It's very disconcerting. Lying down to sleep is horrible because with everything so quiet, the thoughts move even faster. It's so hard to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it first hand.

:grouphug:

I suffer from insomnia from time to time, and haven't really found a good solution for me.

Because of the other meds she's on, I think the OP should ask a pharmacist.  They really are underutilized in our country--and have such good information.  They spent four years post-bac studying organic chemistry, biochemistry, and a whole host of other things…and often understand drug interactions better than a physician.  Plus, the consultation is free.  They might be able to steer her in the right direction. :)