Menu

book cataloging software/app

I have noticed that there are several different book cataloging apps, e.g. iBookshelf, Book Crawler, Bibliophilia. Maybe more.

Can someone recommend one?

I want to catalogue my books preferably by scanning the ISBN and I want to be able to make backups.

I'm not looking for something like Good Reads.

Do you have a reliable scanner? I bought one a few years ago to use with software and it went badly.

I startd yestrday with librarything.com; you can't scan, but adding by isbn wnt really quickly. I really like th etag fature.

(sorry; my  E key is sticking--looks lik a kid was ating at the laptop yesterday...)

I was under the impression that I could scan with the app on my iphone. I do not have a seperate scanner.

Hmmm. Maybe I should download some free lite versions first.

I have Delicious Library and I just scan using the computer camera.  Or I can input manually.  I can organize the shelves any way I want and I can show books being loaned out to a friend and put a reminder on my calendar to ask for it back.  Love the program!

Thanks! I hadn't heard of this one.

On first glance, it looks really good and I can share my library with friends! My best friend is really going to love that, we are always swapping books :D.

But...but...it costs 25$! Is that right? :huh: That's completely different than the other apps ($1.99-$3.99).

Is it really so much better??

I've been using Book Collector. I normally don't use software I install on my pc for something like this, but it does the job, and I can upload our book database to an online website and to my phone/tablet. I do have a scanner I picked up on Amazon, but can also use my phone. Scanner is fastest. :)

It's so customizable, I can search my own library for any topic, "checkout" a book, mark how many times we read it, rate it, add our own custom fields and so much more. Every year I print out a list sorted by author and make sure our bookshelves are organized alphabetically as well.

I see Delicious Library has a free trial, it does look nice. I think I'll give that a try. I wish they had some screenshots though! Book Collector is doing the job that I need, but I don't think it's so pretty.

I've been using Book Collector. I normally don't use software I install on my pc for something like this, but it does the job, and I can upload our book database to an online website and to my phone/tablet. I do have a scanner I picked up on Amazon, but can also use my phone. Scanner is fastest. :)

Angela,

Book Collector looks nice, but is also expensive. Is there a specific reason to choose Book Collector (or Delicious Library) instead of something like Book Crawler, iBookshelf?

I did download trial versions of iBookshelf and Bibliophilia, I was able to scan books with both and they also recognized Dutch books (necessary for me ;) ). I still have no idea what to choose :willy_nilly: .

So, I'm a few hundred books in with librarything.com. Supposedly you have to pay to use the site once you have added 200 books, but I haven't had an invoice pop up. I'll make a freewill donation soon if I'm not sent one, as I think this is a service with paying for.

The tag feature is LOVELY.  On my home screen, I can see all of my tags, how many books are in each tag. The tags are easily editable. I had started one tag named Science, and another named science. They merged instantly when I renamed Science science.  Some books have seven or eight tags.

Most of the time, LibraryThing has been able to snag pictures of the book covers. There have been a few exceptions--mostly k12 books or things that aren't normally sold on amazon, but that popped up in the used section and the poster didn't offer a picture.

The site does not calculate a cash value on the items, but I think my information is sufficient for insurance purposes. I purposefully chose something where the data is not stored only on my own device. If my home is blown away by a tornado, I want my catalog out on the interwebs, iykwim. ;)

I also had a friend (with a Mac) recommend Delicious Library, and got to take a look at its usage and I was very interested but ialso choked at the price, particularly because I worry it will be just another organizational app that I don't really use because I don't stick with it (e.g., if I sell a book I forget to update the listing...) or don't use the features fully until partway in (eg don't decide on an organizational or tagging framework until I have bunches of books).

BUT, I would be jazzed about any app that expedites/facilitates listing things for sale on the web...I'm still coming out of the first-year homeschooler buying binge....

A tip I heard from someone was to have your older DC scan them in...

Oh and with DL I think up you can use both the computer camera and you can use your phone as a a scanner. That's with something since my Mac is a desktop not a MacBook so I can't take it to the bookshelf...

Yes I'm waffling...