Menu

Mystery of Missing Chipmunks

Just wondering if it is maybe a regional thing but both at my house and at a friend's across town our chipmunks have disappeared.  We had a family of about 6 living in various places around our house and we realized that we haven't seen them for a few weeks.  It's been a cool summer and plenty of rain--almost ideal. 

Anybody else missing their chipmunks?

not chipmunks, but when we first moved onto our street, we were surprised there were no squirrels, the street is lined on both sides with mature oak trees.  about 5 years of living here, we noticed the racoons didn't seem to be around anymore and then we started to see squirrels.  The racoons were eating the squirrels, but now that they are gone, or there are very few of them, the squirrel population has taken off.  So, all that to say maybe you have a new predator in the area, like racoons or owls?

• Like 2

We have one annoying chipmunk who lives in the front bushes. I haven't seen him in a couple of weeks but that's probably because the bird feeder was empty. He is such a little pig taking all the food from the poor birds.

Hm.  It didn't occur to me until now, but I haven't noticed any lately!  They're usually happy to scare me half to death when I'm reading outside and they get too close to my feet.

I haven't seen a noticeable increase in outdoor cats, and my daughters haven't taken it upon themselves to catch them by hand in years. :huh:

Look up! We had a pair of hawks nest in our backyard years ago. Pretty much everything disappered as they fed the babies and then taught them to hunt that season. They are great at sitting invisibly silent in the trees and then swooping down on their prey. They did move on, but it was a circle of life lesson: "Look a robin...oh, never mind..."

• Like 1

I worry when our chipmunks don't come around for a while, too. I pet them and hand feed them little treats and have been known to make a special trip to the store when we run out of nuts.

I don't like to brag, but one of our chipmunks can stuff 5 almonds into his face before he has to run off with them. (OK, maybe all chipmunks can do this, but let's just say they can't and our chipmunk is special. :D) He's my favorite and he steps into the kitchen to be fed, while the other one waits outside the sliding glass doors for his treats.

Their names are Chip and Munk.

I stayed up nights for a week coming up with those names. ;)

• Like 13

I believe they have moved to my house. Been here 16 years and this is the first summer I have seen them in my yard. Although they moved to the front when they met out dog.

I wish the hawk would move back in to the neighborhood. It took care of the squirrel problem when it lived here.

• 3 years later...

My chipmunk and his chipmunk relatives have skipped town on me.they've all been gone about 2 weeks,and i dont know where they went.is this common?my chipmunks never leave the property.they are well behaved and have good attitudes,and never cause a problem.i feed them and they are not afraid of me.they are not only my chipmunks,but i consider them family.i also had a bird that was not afraid of me,and i considered him family and miss him dearly.where did my bird go,and does my chipmunk and bird hate me?someone told me birds and chipmunks learn to despise people they are around all the time and would love their human keepers to drop dead.if this winds up being true,i dont want the little bastards ever to come around again!and i hope they never come back.what do they want from me?to get them cable tv,a play station 4,and an apple iphone 8 with 8 gigabytes of memory?theyrr lucky if they get a boot up their ass.

OOH, fun!

Find another 3 year old thread and randomly rant about it!

• Like 2

Idontthinkhisspacebarworks

That and his shift key gave up after the first capital letter.  I seriously can't recall my guys ever turning in (or posting on FB, etc) something that lacking writing-wise - not even when in elementary school.

• Like 1

Ah, this explains why I couldn't remember posting about missing chipmunks. Got a couple new Likes on my post, though. :D

The guy was pretty lame...no twins or triplets frolicking lakeside outside their 10,000 square foot house, no ranting about whether side salads or appetizers should be served first, no Pastor approved movie lists...

No

• Like 3

Wild chipmunks aren't in our area. Our wild bunny family is laying low, though. I think it's the heat. DH sees them when he goes running in the am, but they don't play on the lawn like they were earlier in the year. I'm putting off trimming the bushes because I don't want to take away their shade.

The guy was pretty lame...no twins or triplets frolicking lakeside outside their 10,000 square foot house, no ranting about whether side salads or appetizers should be served first, no Pastor approved movie lists...

I know! He didn't even ask about letting someone use the family minivan as a taxi... ;)

I still remember those old threads. Good times! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...
On 8/16/2014 at 3:53 PM, Closeacademy said:

Just wondering if it is maybe a regional thing but both at my house and at a friend's across town our chipmunks have disappeared.  We had a family of about 6 living in various places around our house and we realized that we haven't seen them for a few weeks.  It's been a cool summer and plenty of rain--almost ideal. 

Anybody else missing their chipmunks?

Yes, within the past three weeks, all of the chipmunks in my yard, and at least three of my neighbors's yards have disappeared, including one that came daily to eat out of my hand. No new cats around, but a fairly active Coopers Hawk has been raiding our birdfeeders. So either it's a highly efficient chipmunk killer or something else is going on.  Collectively, our neighborhood has a lot of both chipmunks and gray squirrels.  The hawk doesn't go after the squirrels; they ignore the hawk when it's around.