money, and the most recent version. You are to have 
your laptop the first day of class.

and this:

What if I already own a Windows based 
PC Laptop?
Apple Macs are the professional standard in graphic 
design. However, it is possible for you to work with a 
PC in the Vis Com program, but you will not have the 
support offered by the faculty and other students. 
Becoming familiar with the Mac now will assist you in 
preparing for professional employment. It really is in 
your best interest not to use a PC in a graphic design 
environment, however, having a PC laptop is better 
than not having any laptop at all. 

and:

What if I don’t pass review?
A personal computer is a valuable educational tool 
regardless of your major. As a university student, 
you can use a computer for research, writing papers, 
internet access, email, listening to music, viewing digital 
photography, and many other general computing tasks. 
It would be a beneficial investment regardless of your educational direction.

Would you have your son email the author (head of the dept) and ask if he could wait until January to get a laptop.
I say no- it is pretty clear, and probably why this was mailed to us. This guy is gruff and not approachable and will be handling the review to see if my son can stay in the program. I feel like it would be a bad start to ask a question that has been answered. 

In my opinion, we should buy it now so he can just start like everyone else with no issues. (you know I'm a rule follower) my DH (tech guy) sees that our son has no classes 1st semester that require the mac and wants to wait to get him one as late as possible so it will last longer.

What do you think?

My first reaction is that if I read that poorly written information in a communication from my college, my head might explode before I could go to class.

Does your son have a laptop already that he could use for now? If so, I might consider having him start with that, making it clear if the subject comes up that he is waiting until he really needs the Mac to buy it so that he will have the latest and greatest at that point.

I know. I was not happy with the wording or communication from the head of the communications dept.

He has a brand new state of the art desktop pc. I could either loan him my laptop or buy him a tablet with a keyboard to take to class. He will only be an hour away so he can buy a stupid mac the first weekend if it was needed. I'm so annoyed. At least this is the last decision I am involved with. I think that's part of it- I just want to buy the thing and drop him off.  

DH (tech guy) sees that our son has no classes 1st semester that require the mac and wants to wait to get him one as late as possible so it will last longer.

How do you know that he won't need the computer?  Even if assignments proper aren't online, aren't there all kinds of administrative tasks that would be easier if he had his own computer:  emailing professors, checking class and exam schedules, signing up for 2nd semester classes, arranging study groups with peers, general research, etc. etc. etc.  

How do you know that he won't need the computer?  Even if assignments proper aren't online, aren't there all kinds of administrative tasks that would be easier if he had his own computer:  emailing professors, checking class and exam schedules, signing up for 2nd semester classes, arranging study groups with peers, general research, etc. etc. etc.  

He has a computer- a $3000 custom built pc. 

How do you know that he won't need the computer? Even if assignments proper aren't online, aren't there all kinds of administrative tasks that would be easier if he had his own computer: emailing professors, checking class and exam schedules, signing up for 2nd semester classes, arranging study groups with peers, general research, etc. etc. etc.

She said he has a computer, the question is should he be investing in another computer (Apple laptop) to meet the needs of the graphic design program even though he will not need it for his Fall classes.

ETA cross-posted.

My opinion? Wait until after school starts and you have on the ground information.

He has a computer- a $3000 custom built pc. 

Then he's fine -- he can get to campus and see what the situation is.

There's less and less difference between Macs and PCs these days.  They used to be hugely different, and that professor may still think that.  Or, it could be the dept has software they want the students to use, and they only got the Mac version.

But most colleges have computers available for students to use, so I'm guessing he could limp along with his PC for checking email and such, and perhaps use a college Mac if he really needs one immediately.

He'll have plenty of time to get a computer if he needs another one. 

Given that professor's insistence on the "right" one, I'd be even more inclined to wait to make sure he's really getting the right Mac.

fwiw -- it's really not that hard to switch between Macs and PCs.  The biggest difference I notice is that the software tends to put its icons in different places.  I'm guessing that the dept has one program that they use a lot which is a bit different between Mac and PC and that a few students have had great difficulty in figuring out that the little icon is in a different place.  Or that doing a certain task requires going through a different menu.  If the dept is completely wedded to Macs, they probably couldn't find the right icon or menu on a PC themselves.  So they can't help kids with PCs.

However -- the web is a wonderful place.  Whenever I switch to a different computer (or different version of software), I find I can google how to do a certain thing and someone somewhere will have posted a description or a picture of where that task is in the different version.  If your son is at all resourceful, he'll be able to do the same.

Yes, there are other differences between Macs and PCs, but my guess is that this dept isn't going that deep.  (The only problem may be if the software is specifically for Macs)

So I'd wait until he got there.  My experience is that many professors (No, not all! -- but enough one should be wary) don't really have their classes worked out far enough in advance that they even know what books they'll be using.  My daughter often bought books the professor never ever mentioned -- but they were clearly on the book store list.  The professor just decided later he didn't need them.  So what if the kids spent hundreds of extra dollars?

My second daughter bought all her books for this fall semester, and now the professors are adding things a few weeks before classes start.  They're supposed to submit full book orders, not put them in in dribbles and drabs.  One book she bought has changed editions just yesterday and she's concerned she'll have the wrong book.  (That may be the fault of the bookstore -- or the publisher.  The professor may have known exactly what book they wanted, but a new edition came out this summer and the older edition is now not the standard.  Or perhaps the bookstore couldn't get enough of the older edition, even if it was what the professor preferred)

At this point, my advice is just to hold off and see what develops.  Some professors just need some time to get their act together (there are flakes in every field....)

My dd will be a music major, and there is a specific program that is generally used by musicians that is Apple-based. Dd asked around on the entering freshman Facebook group and among older music majors she knows and decided that in order to be in the loop in her department she really should go the Apple route.

I think there is a lot to be said for having the "right" equipment for the job. If being a graphic design major requires an Apple, then your son should have an Apple.

Even if he won't technically need the Apple-based programs this fall, having the "right" laptop demonstrates commitment and will make sharing the work others do or have done much easier. If everyone else in the department has an Apple, not having one will make him out of the loop.

Also, there are still enough differences between an Apple and a Dell (or whatever) that I would be reluctant to have a kid switch mid-year and risk not figuring something out in time. It has taken my dd quite a bit of time to figure out some of the ins and outs of her Apple, but because she got it two months ago she has been able to learn how to interface with it over time in the course of her everyday life.

I would encourage you to make the investment and go for the Apple.  (Your son's best source of advice is probably upperclassmen in the program he is entering!)

What if I don’t pass review?

A personal computer is a valuable educational tool 
regardless of your major. As a university student, 
you can use a computer for research, writing papers, 
internet access, email, listening to music, viewing digital 
photography, and many other general computing tasks. 
It would be a beneficial investment regardless of your educational direction.

What's the "review"that is mentioned?  Is he not accepted to the program yet?  What are they going to review ? 

Since he has no classes that require a Mac this semester, I would wait until Black Friday to purchase. You can sometimes get a really good deal that day. If he had classes now, I would say purchase it now. (We had to buy dd, who had just gotten a new Mac before starting college, a pc laptop for her required computer class. She is finding she needs the pc for school, but prefers Mac for her own personal use. Having the system the teachers are using really does make things easier.

At the end of his second year there will be a portfolio review. If he doesn't pass then he can't continue on to be a visual communication major

Having the system the teachers are using really does make things easier.

Will they even accept his portfolio for review if its not done on the same program?

I would not stress it.  Send him with the desktop for now and plan on buying the new laptop over Thanksgiving or Christmas break.

If he ends up needing earlier, then you can go get it with him just an hour away. 

Relax!  It's sooooo stressful getting these kids out the door!

So I'd wait until he got there.  My experience is that many professors (No, not all! -- but enough one should be wary) don't really have their classes worked out far enough in advance that they even know what books they'll be using.  My daughter often bought books the professor never ever mentioned -- but they were clearly on the book store list.  The professor just decided later he didn't need them.  So what if the kids spent hundreds of extra dollars?

My second daughter bought all her books for this fall semester, and now the professors are adding things a few weeks before classes start.  They're supposed to submit full book orders, not put them in in dribbles and drabs.  One book she bought has changed editions just yesterday and she's concerned she'll have the wrong book.  (That may be the fault of the bookstore -- or the publisher.  The professor may have known exactly what book they wanted, but a new edition came out this summer and the older edition is now not the standard.  Or perhaps the bookstore couldn't get enough of the older edition, even if it was what the professor preferred)

DS started his first cc class today.  When I checked with the bookstore a few weeks ago, on the same day he registered, the assigned book was the 5th edition.  As of today it is the 6th edition, which the store only had 2 copies of.  Difference between used 5th edition and new 6th edition is about $170 for a one semester college algebra class.  Sigh. 

DS started his first cc class today.  When I checked with the bookstore a few weeks ago, on the same day he registered, the assigned book was the 5th edition.  As of today it is the 6th edition, which the store only had 2 copies of.  Difference between used 5th edition and new 6th edition is about $170 for a one semester college algebra class.  Sigh. 

My daughter had already bought the 2nd edition so when they switched to wanting the 3rd, I told her not to worry about it.  That likely the biggest thing that would change was problem numbering, or there might be some additional problems.  And she could copy that stuff from a neighbor.  It would be an excuse to get to know someone.

But then the professor sent everyone an email saying either edition would be fine.  So this saved us the angst of knowing they wanted the 3rd edition for 200 something when we could get the 2nd edition for 20.

I think a lot of professors are aware of the expense and do want to help students trim down the costs -- but when my husband the professor was trying to do this, he got his hand slapped by the bookstore.

My daughter had already bought the 2nd edition so when they switched to wanting the 3rd, I told her not to worry about it.  That likely the biggest thing that would change was problem numbering, or there might be some additional problems.  And she could copy that stuff from a neighbor.  It would be an excuse to get to know someone.

But then the professor sent everyone an email saying either edition would be fine.  So this saved us the angst of knowing they wanted the 3rd edition for 200 something when we could get the 2nd edition for 20.

I think a lot of professors are aware of the expense and do want to help students trim down the costs -- but when my husband the professor was trying to do this, he got his hand slapped by the bookstore.

The bookstore staff have actually been some of my best interactions so far.  They are quite willing to point us to used copies, give price quotes, give out ISBN numbers and have even suggested that he wait until the first day of class to see if he needs book, online access or both. 

Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of change in the problems between 5th and 6th edition.  The instructor indicated that the older edition would not work.

I'm just glad that we were able to get a waiver for in-state tuition.  Otherwise, this one class would have been almost $1000 between tuition, fees and book.