Menu

Doing Physics at home -- What to use?

There is a review of Saxon Physics

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/science/physics-saxon.htm

I think the term "Physics 2"  is not clear.

Several sequences

8th or 9th grade Conceptual Physics (less math)

Standard HS Physics (Honors or regular)

AP Physics 1 and 2 (Algebra based)

AP Physics C (Calculus based)

I think this whole AP Physics 1 and 2, which are "Algebra" based confuses things a lot. (what "Algebra-based" that mean?  Algebra 1 or 2 and does it include Trig? I think they mean Alg2/Trig, no?)

But, say, at our local high school, you've got 3 physics courses.  Typically a first one is taken in 11th, after Bio/Chem in 9th/10th.  AP is offered for seniors taking Calculus:

- Regular "College-Prep" Physics - even though this is usually taken in 11th, it uses Hewitt Conceptual Physics, used by many here in 8th/9th

- Honors Physics - this uses the popular Giancoli text, which requires Algebra2/Trig at the least - the student is supposed to be taking concurrent Precalculus.  Is this the same level then as these new AP 1/2 exams?  Or is there even more math in this one?

- AP Physics - I can only assume this is the C exam, as they require concurrent Calculus, and expect that you've taken the Giancoli course first?

I think this whole AP Physics 1 and 2, which are "Algebra" based confuses things a lot. (what "Algebra-based" that mean?  Algebra 1 or 2 and does it include Trig? I think they mean Alg2/Trig, no?)

The only trig needed for algebra based physics can be learned in 15 minutes.

But, say, at our local high school, you've got 3 physics courses.  Typically a first one is taken in 11th, after Bio/Chem in 9th/10th.  AP is offered for seniors taking Calculus:

- Regular "College-Prep" Physics - even though this is usually taken in 11th, it uses Hewitt Conceptual Physics, used by many here in 8th/9th

- Honors Physics - this uses the popular Giancoli text, which requires Algebra2/Trig at the least - the student is supposed to be taking concurrent Precalculus.  Is this the same level then as these new AP 1/2 exams?  Or is there even more math in this one?

In my experience, in order to be successful with this text, you need a solid foundation in Alg.I and good problem solving skills.  The only trig needed is to understand the right triangle and SIN, COS, TAN - which literally can be mastered in 15 minutes.  I would place Honors Physics at the same level as the new AP exams.

- AP Physics - I can only assume this is the C exam, as they require concurrent Calculus, and expect that you've taken the Giancoli course first? There are no schools in my neck of the woods that offer calculus based physics.  I do know that some homeschoolers have been very successful taking calculus based physics as their first physics class.

There is a review of Saxon Physics

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/science/physics-saxon.htm

I think the term "Physics 2"  is not clear.

Several sequences

8th or 9th grade Conceptual Physics (less math)

Standard HS Physics (Honors or regular)

AP Physics 1 and 2 (Algebra based)

AP Physics C (Calculus based)

The AP folks are matching current Universities:

see

http://catalog.arizona.edu/2009-10/courses/094/PHYS.html

for example

PHYS 102 =  AP  Physics 1

PHYS 103 =  AP  Physics 2

PHYS 131 and 132 = AP Physics C ( 2 AP exams now that's confusing - it will change names just wait)

Hewitt Conceptual Physics is not really a college prep text IMHO. 

Yes, I know.  I was rather stunned to see that's what they were using for "College Prep" 11th grade Physics.  Which just reinforces my belief that it's doublespeak.  If you want real college prep, you have to be on the honors track...

Our high school doesn't offer any classes that are labeled below "College Prep".  CP1 is the regular track, and "College Prep 2" is the remedial/special needs track...Yeesh.

• 2 years later...