Menu

What comes after the LEGO stage for boys?

1GirlTwinBoys

My boys are 10 and have been into Legos since they were little and were actually REALLY into them just recently.  They've built most of the major superhero sets and don't show any more interest at all.  Just wondering what boys this age do after Legos?

They have Wii U, 3DS, and iPads.  Not sure other than electronics what there is for boys this age? :confused1:

My son moved from Legos (around 14/15---he was a "free builder") straight into messing around with computers. He taught himself how to program etc. He's now a college senior with one job offer so far :D

My daughter (the 14yo) still free builds, but she added robotics through a First Lego League team at 11 :)

You've never been to a Brick Fair. It never ends. At least not here.

If you dc are done with legos, what are their interests? As kids get into tween/teen years some things become lifelong pursuits. Some things are just heavy specializations during the remainder of childhood. That means for some kids you are looking at things other than toys. Kids move from rec sports to club sports, devoting all their time to soccer or fencing or rock climbing, skateboarding, parkour. Other kids decide after a few years of forced piano that they are going to be next Eddie Van Halen so big presents become electric guitars and amps and your kid forms a band with other kids (garage bands always meet at the drummer's house, so if you want the kids at your house get the drums). Or maybe it's musical theatre with accompanying dance and voice lessons. Some kids get heavily into games and role playing games. Some kids who stick with legos get into robotics.

Have your kids not found an interest to pursue. Encourage trying things as much as you can. My kids took lots of rec classes because they were cheap and in close driving distance. They could try something a couple months and then try something new the next sign up session. Besides classes there are clubs. Besides obvious things like Scouts and 4H our local community center has chess club and environmental club, etc.

I think at 10 you are moving out of the toys and moving towards inteterests. Time is spent doing things that support the interest. That may include time spent financially supporting the interest. So, I've known families that have said they would not pay for certain activities and so the kids have taken up dog walking to starting paying for skateboarding equipment or amplifiers. Dog walking may not seem related, but these know it will get them to their goal.

My son is 14 and blogs about lego regularly (see my sig). Any free time he has he's thinking lego, designing lego, building lego, reading lego, writing lego.

I can see it being a lifelong hobby for him. I am very happy to hear that some lifelong lego fans in this thread were able to tear themselves away from the lego long enough to find life partners and start families. It's comforting to a mom. :)

My son went from Legos to model rocket and car building. He is bored with those now and asking to tear apart a broken weed trimmer to put the motor on the broken electric scooter. He is also searching for a used car that he can work on for the next two years-he is 14.

My two brothers went from Legos to audio-visual equipment (the one who became an audio engineer) and computers (the one who worked in IT before becoming an attorney for the FCC). My cousin and his son both went from Legos to auto repair. My cousin spent years restoring a '67 Mustang and it was beautiful by the time he finished.

I still build Lego sets, so if there's something that comes after, I haven't matured enough for it yet!

Seriously, though...DH and I assemble Lego sets (especially the modular buildings, plus the Tower Bridge), the way some people do puzzles. The great thing about the Lego creations, though, is that they can be displayed and played with when you're done!

I doubt my oldest will ever stop "playing" with Lego. Actually, his dream is to work for Lego someday, and I hope that happens, because then I'll finally have a reason to *have* to go to Europe!

They would always love to free build and then got into the sets.  It's so weird for them to not be into them anymore after all these years.

If you limit the electronic time they have, they'll be forced to do something else. My boys would spend all their free time with electronic devices/WII/computers if allowed to. It's great to see them play, build, create in real life again, instead of on an electronic device. Oh, and getting outside and being active is my first suggestion.

Life after Lego... Hmmm... There is such a thing?

I like the way Betty put it.  At some point it moves from toys to interests.  She said it well.

Our older son moved out of Lego, though it has a fond spot in his heart, and moved into these stages:

Model building

Rocket building

Maker stuff (Make magazine type projects)

Theater set building

Improv

Pyrotechnics (had to get special training for this, obviously)

Theater stuck.  He's now finished his degree in tech theater, so he really stuck with the set building. I can see the progression of his interests there, and how they moved him forward into his chosen field.

ETA: DS10 is moving more into the same path as our older son.  He loves DIY.org, and it's helping him find new interests.

My dh is 52.  I'll let you know when we get there.  Until then, I am the sheriff between his legos, and the 2dc's legos. :glare:

:lol: 

And betty's post was super great. I found myself nodding along as I read it because it's exactly what happened here.

Heigh Ho's post was also representative of my experience.

Mine still play Legos but not nearly as frequently or intently. They've moved on to club sports and computers (programming). Their friends got deep into music, mostly guitar. A few are still big into Legos but more on the robotic side.

What amuses me is an APB I have out to every family of teens we know with a Lego stash. I'm willing to pay (the teens) a fair price + dealer's fee if they'll give me first dibs on buying their Legos.  In two years I've had two commit verbally that were unable to go through with it. 

They don't really play with their Legos all that much these days, but they're still not ready to give them up :D. I think it's kind of sweet. Both are only children, both love my younger daughter and are happy to build alongside her when they're over to see my son - they know she'd love and use these Legos. But once it came time to hand them over, they got sweaty and unsure. I let them off the hook LOL.

There's something about Legos!

If you limit the electronic time they have, they'll be forced to do something else. My boys would spend all their free time with electronic devices/WII/computers if allowed to. It's great to see them play, build, create in real life again, instead of on an electronic device. Oh, and getting outside and being active is my first suggestion.

LOL! I'll tell my boys that I want them to go outside and do something and then I'll see them in the driveway playing with...................Legos!!

Guest juliem78

My 10 year old still loves Lego, and just got a fairly big Technic set along with the robotic components to motorize certain parts of the vehicles. 

I still build Lego sets, so if there's something that comes after, I haven't matured enough for it yet!

Seriously, though...DH and I assemble Lego sets (especially the modular buildings, plus the Tower Bridge), the way some people do puzzles. The great thing about the Lego creations, though, is that they can be displayed and played with when you're done!

I doubt my oldest will ever stop "playing" with Lego. Actually, his dream is to work for Lego someday, and I hope that happens, because then I'll finally have a reason to *have* to go to Europe!

People actually stop playing Lego????!!!!!

My mom and I still like building Lego (I'm in my 30s and my mom is in her 50s :D)

My almost 18 year old still plays with Legos and so do his friends.  My 13 year old really likes Legos and has started doing robotics with a local group.  They build robots from the Lego Mindstorm kits and other kits.  He really likes that.  All of my kids really like Legos and I hope they always will.

My Lego-builder builds the models exactly once and then they go in the collection to he can create new inventions.  

His father had a roommate in high school (boarding school) who had a steamer trunk FULL of Legos that were part of the payment for a design he submitted to Lego.  Trap says they always had other guys in their room, building stuff.  lol  

The roommate is now an engineer for the state dept of roads… (still plays with Legos, on occasion)

I can't even begin to guess what I'll suggest if my Lego-builder ever gets out of the stage.  

My Lego lover is 12 and while he still loves Legos they don't take up as much of his time right now. He would still love to build a very big and very expensive set, but he doesn't have any of those right now. At that age he found a ton of great ideas on youtube for cool things had built. There are tons of cool ideas on there. They didn't give instructions but it was enough to spark an idea and he would use his collection to build new things. He did the rubber band guns and a very nice candy dispenser. 

Right now he has moved on to computer graphics and photo editing. 

We have been doing a Minecraft Mod Design/Java class, and DS10 loves it.

I am not sure the Lego phase ever ends; the kits just get more complicated. DS10 does First Lego League which involves basic programming, and likes the Lego Architecture sets and anything Star Wars. He is asking for the Lego Death Star for Christmas, but we might wait a few years, since it is basically the pinnacle of Lego sets.

The OP's son could try some of the free builds that are shown on youtube:http://m.youtube.com/?#/results?q=awesome%20lego%20builds&sm=1

Really. I don't remember anyone playing with Lego after 12 or so unless they were entertaining younger kids. My neighbours older boys do but I thought they were just an oddity.

I would say generally, they move on to cars and girls.

At age 10 - 12? Don't boys in your area play sports, or maybe music/bands? Cars at a young age seems a lot more like a country thing. There aren't a lot of pre-teens fixing up cars in the city.

Really. I don't remember anyone playing with Lego after 12 or so unless they were entertaining younger kids. My neighbours older boys do but I thought they were just an oddity.

I would say generally, they move on to cars and girls.

Wow, what a "nice" way to consign so many of us to the "oddball" category.  Perhaps your experience isn't so definitive as you think it is?  There is a range of things that boys are interested in depending on their personality, interests, talents and even opportunities.  

My son moved from Legos (around 14/15---he was a "free builder") straight into messing around with computers. He taught himself how to program etc.

This is what happened with my boys. My oldest played with Legos until he was 13. My youngest still plays with them sometimes, but he seems more interested in the computer as of late.