Menu

All of the likes have disappeared

Frances

I find it a bit frustrating how the powers that be only selectively respond to topics on this particular board.

Yup.

It's been over a year since anything was said about tags.

Better communication would be very nice.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a setting.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core

Comments & Visitors

Allow members to leave comments on my profile

Allow me to approve comments before they are displayed on my profile

Show last 5 visitors on my profile

Thanks!

I wondered where that had gone (but clearly not enough to figure out it was still a setting). :)

I'm not even sure that it's purposeful.  I guess I'm hoping it's summer, it's the weekend, everyone is working on getting the WTM Academy running, and they'll get to fixing it...  Fingers crossed.

Of course, yeah, hearing back would be nice.  Are we even breaking forum rules now?  I have seen the mods come in and chastise people for talking about the forum, but if you don't, I'm not sure how feedback works...

I'm not even sure that it's purposeful.  I guess I'm hoping it's summer, it's the weekend, everyone is working on getting the WTM Academy running, and they'll get to fixing it...  Fingers crossed.

Of course, yeah, hearing back would be nice.  Are we even breaking forum rules now?  I have seen the mods come in and chastise people for talking about the forum, but if you don't, I'm not sure how feedback works...

I thought of the same thing, but surely on a board called "Site News & Discussion" we're allowed to talk about the site???

Just adding my vote to this thread. Bring back the visible likes. 

I don't get how stars or likes can be catty. If anything can be problematic it is the star ratings for threads and for people. I've likely irritated some people by one-starring their profiles, when all that was wrong was that I didn't know exactly how to apply the stars. 

But the likes are useful. They keep threads from being cluttered with I agrees. 

I don't keep a mouse hooked up to my laptop. I despise cut and paste without my mouse. So being able to like something without having to cut and hack a post apart saves me time and frustration.

I like being able to like without agreeing. I don't have to agree with a person to like them...or to like how they see a side to an issue that I don't get to see. I like a lot of folks here without having to agree with them, and that's one thing I really like about the forum.

I despise having to go to my notifications to track down the likes. Before, I could simply go through a thread that I was posting in, see what had been liked, and participate further. Now I use up my computer time (and I don't have a lot of that!) to see who liked what, instead of going to the thread, registering what had resonated and then having time to contribute further. 

I don't like the invisible likes!

Honestly, I am so grateful for this forum and the fact that they have worked hard to keep it free to posters that I can live with a lot.  Yeah, Well Trained Mind!!!!

But I do miss the VISIBLE likes.  I am o.k. with invisible likes but prefer the visible ones.  I hope likes never go away entirely and really hope visible likes come back.  Likes are so useful. I have a whole host of reasons.  

1.  I can find a thread I posted on quickly if someone likes one of my posts, even if I have lost the thread or forgot I posted there.

2.  If I am in a hurry I can skim through the posts quickly and find the ones with the most likes.  I read those if I have no time to read others.  Really helps if I am seeking info but don't have time to read a really long thread.

3.  I can more easily see who has checked that particular thread and if they haven't and I know they will almost certainly be interested in the topic/info I can point the thread out to another board member.

4.  I can kind of judge if something I have posted is just totally off the wall or maybe I did make a good call on something.

5. I can show support without cluttering up a thread.

6. I can indicate I really like a particular idea or plan without cluttering up a thread.

7. I can respond quickly with an indication of agreement without having to write out words when I am in a hurry.

8. Sometimes an old thread will resurrect and I get a like from a post I wrote long ago.  I can follow the like to that post very quickly to see what I wrote and reassess how I feel.  Maybe I had some good ideas I have forgotten about or maybe I was in lala land and I am glad I moved past myself.   :)  Either way it is interesting.

9.  Seeing all the visible likes together on a post I can better see which others have similar views or ideas so I can go to them to ask for additional information or advice with a reasonable expectation that they know what I am getting at.

I am sure there are many other reasons for the likes to stay around.  I just hope the visible likes come back.

Regarding someone's viewing your profile, I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to click on a thread, only to click on a board member's name instead.

I am clueless about a star system, so I have never done anything with that, at least not knowingly!

What you have posted is something I can relate to. You have expressed it in a manner with which I am in agreement. If I were so inclined, I might *like* such a post. Whether or not I have actually done so is between Angie in VA and myself. (And I had to double check to be sure myself, although I still have some lingering doubt about whether it has been liked or not...)

What you have posted is something I can relate to. You have expressed it in a manner with which I am in agreement. If I were so inclined, I might *like* such a post. Whether or not I have actually done so is between Angie in VA and myself.

:lol:   (but whether I "like" how funny this post is or not, only one other will ever know)

Can someone confirm they are still getting notification of the stealth likes at all? Because either I'm really off-track for the last day or so, or I'm not even getting notification that anyone liked anything I ever wrote. (And note, I "liked" several posts in this thread today - which ones & how many to be hidden except to me and possibly the original posters.)

Can someone confirm they are still getting notification of the stealth likes at all? Because either I'm really off-track for the last day or so, or I'm not even getting notification that anyone liked anything I ever wrote. (And note, I "liked" several posts in this thread today - which ones & how many to be hidden except to me and possibly the original posters.)

This post serves as notification that I received a notification of your being inclined to *like* a previous post of mine. I have, in return, liked the above quoted post. Please notify me if you receive private notification of this *like* of which you have been notified here within.

Thank y'all. Apparently, I am really off-track since notifications for y'all liking my previous post on this thread are showing up. I wonder if some people have slowed down their 'liking' because they aren't showing up as much? 

I admit to being even MORE like-happy in the last few days because they aren't showing up for others. I want to make sure people know their thoughts are appreciated, darn-it!

[Thanks, guys. Six of you guys liked that post.]

I know I am. In part because I'm not sure if I've liked it before, say, on the previous day. I'm in the habit of reading threads for several days, and sometimes I'll come back and like a post that previously didn't resonate with me, because further discussion often has me re-reading previous posts and thinking about them more. Now I'm afraid that if I like something one day, and come back to like it another day, I'll end up "unliking."

It's not unlike the two rights make a left, or a wrong in this case....

This is my notice that I have invisibly "liked" many posts on page two of this thread.  Because even invisible likes are limited I am unable to invisibly like the posts on page 1 until tomorrow,  I am publicly letting the posters on page two know that I am invisibly liking the posts on this page of the thread.  I am publicly letting the posters on page one know that I will try to invisibly like as many posts as I am able on page one tomorrow.  Should invisible likes go away as well I shall waste time and space on this thread by individually quoting each post and verbally liking these posts.  Best wishes to all....I feel your pain.

I have accidentally one-starred threads and people on my phone several times. The rotten part of the star thing is that you cannot change whatever you starred something, so even if I went back and 5-starred it, the system only takes my rating once and that's it.  :glare:

I am always a little late to the party, and I am just discovering that the likes are gone...I was wondering why no one liked anything, then I got notification of a like, but it didn't show on the thread so I came here looking to see what happened...I guess you guys all did this last week :blush:

I wish the likes would return...It is very helpful to me to see what people like and consider good advice...It is difficult to tell without the likes...I also agree that I would like something I agree with without the need to post and clutter the thread unnecessarily, or if I am on my phone and a response would be difficult...

It just doesn't feel like a complete conversation without the likes...I vote to bring the likes back - if this is even a democracy and if I even have a vote that is :001_smile: 

And the admins and mods have been online and some people have pm'ed them, I believe.  And there's no explanation.  I'd love to know if this was on purpose or part of a glitch or what.  If it was done over some sense of complaints about abuse of likes, as suggested up thread, I find it really baffling that the star ratings for users and threads weren't also removed since most users seem to agree that those present a lot more opportunities for abuse.

And the admins and mods have been online and some people have pm'ed them, I believe. And there's no explanation. I'd love to know if this was on purpose or part of a glitch or what. If it was done over some sense of complaints about abuse of likes, as suggested up thread, I find it really baffling that the star ratings for users and threads weren't also removed since most users seem to agree that those present a lot more opportunities for abuse.

I appreciate the boards a tremendous amount.

I think the communication since the switch has been very poor.

Yeah, I always feel funny complaining.  I appreciate the boards tremendously.  I know they're a free service and that they take a lot to run.  I appreciate the moderation, which with only a few exceptions I think is justified and helps keep this place one of the nicest, most polite places on the internet.  But when an issue like this comes up, it would be nice if someone popped in to say, hey, we did that on purpose because..., or hey, it's part of some new board software and we'll see if we can bring them back but it'll be a few weeks, or whatever.

I completely agree that we shouldn't be able to star-rate threads and users.  Like others, I've had a hurtful experience with that - the one and only time I ever posted on the Chat Board.  I left with my tail between my legs and have not been back.  I think there is a different culture on that board, maybe?  I don't know.  But I do wish we could still see thread likes.

Okay, I don't even know what the star-rate thing for threads and users is.  Obviously, I've never had the pleasure. ;)

It's more than likely just a 'glitch'?

With the Admin Control Panel, their would be section for Likes, where a box would be ticked to Enable them.

The Default setting, would notify a member when they recieve a Like.

But their is probably a box to tick, so that Likes are shown publicly on a post.

Though glitches can happen, where a box can tick or untick itself?

Which is most likely what happened.

So it can be restored by finding the box and ticking it.

But sometimes, their can a problem that wont recognize that the box has been ticked?

I doubt that it has been intentionally disabled, as I've never seen anyone complain about the Likes, and can't really see how it could be a problem?

But as long as everyone keeps asking about it,  and keeping this thread active.

No doubt the Moderators will eventually notice it.

Yeah, I always feel funny complaining.  I appreciate the boards tremendously.  I know they're a free service and that they take a lot to run. 

I agree (Like!). It feels wrong to complain about a free service. However if they (SWB, PHP) didn't want us here they wouldn't provide the board. I've seen homeschool forums go away or change dramatically, and not for the better, over the years. I would think that if they want people to stay, they'd at least respond to something that so many people are talking about.

Also, I will publicly say - Even though this is the post I'm responding to, I liked a bunch of posts in this thread. :)

:iagree:  with all of this, especially the bolded.

I appreciate the boards a tremendous amount.
I think the communication since the switch has been very poor.

Yeah, I always feel funny complaining.  I appreciate the boards tremendously.  I know they're a free service and that they take a lot to run.  I appreciate the moderation, which with only a few exceptions I think is justified and helps keep this place one of the nicest, most polite places on the internet.  But when an issue like this comes up, it would be nice if someone popped in to say, hey, we did that on purpose because..., or hey, it's part of some new board software and we'll see if we can bring them back but it'll be a few weeks, or whatever.

I agree (Like!). It feels wrong to complain about a free service. However if they (SWB, PHP) didn't want us here they wouldn't provide the board. I've seen homeschool forums go away or change dramatically, and not for the better, over the years. I would think that if they want people to stay, they'd at least respond to something that so many people are talking about.

Also, I will publicly say - Even though this is the post I'm responding to, I liked a bunch of posts in this thread. :)