Menu

All of the likes have disappeared

Frances

When I started reading the boards today, I noticed that none of the posts had been liked, which I found strange. I then looked at olds posts and discovered that none of them contained any lists of likes. I never sign out of the site and everything else appears normal. I just can't see any likes.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think she's probably referring to the fact that some people have been really catty about it lately.  

And if you haven't noticed it, consider yourself fortunate.   :)

That said, I think they're more beneficial than anything.  At least in all of the information boards...

Yeah, I don't like it!  Likes were a very useful way to communicate without having to post.  I think that's why the weird experience of liking and unliking has been happening - we expect our likes to show up, so we keep hitting the button!

I could do without the post rating and user rating features, I think they create opportunities for people to be mean.  But please let us like things! I like it!

I like it too! I often scroll quickly and don't have time to post out a big reply but want the poster to know I liked their thoughts or whatever.

I use it at times to note that I've read the post (especially if I asked a question and someone answers it, or makes a funny joke or something, where I don't really have anything to say, but want to acknowledge the post), and also have used it to show my appreciation for someone's post, even if I disagree with them, because they took the time to explain something or make an interesting point.

What I really hate is the voting on Amazon because a bunch of people who like the book and are emotionally invested in it, will vote down well thought out negative reviews. It's not an agree vote, but a useful vote.

I was searching the forum, became signed out, a message was displayed that read I wasn't allowed to view that information when I clicked on a thread I wanted to read. If I clicked it again it would load up and I could read the thread. When I went back to the regular board (listings of forums) I had no problem...except for when I click Like This the box xUnlike appears in its place.

Can you imagine a day where we all take a break from the forums so the computer guru can sort it out? I'm surprised the board isn't down for maintenance.

What's so creepy is that you still get the red notification that a post has been liked, but then you click on it, and there's . . .  nothing.  It's just a weird, phantom feeling.  

Also strange is that you can see whether you've liked a post, but not if someone has liked your post.  It makes the whole interaction a little one-sided, no?

Earlier today I had a guage on the upper left hand corner of my screen (sort of looked like a thermometer gauge).

As soon as you posted this I felt insecure.  :001_unsure:

ETA: I came here to report the same problem w/ the Likes. I guess I'm another one who missed the cattiness.

Ok, yet another reason to lobby for bringing back visible likes:  It allows you to support or agree with a well-stated point without having to copy the post and say "I agree" which can just clutter up a thread.  I found myself "liking" a couple of posts this morning, and frankly being bummed that only the poster would know that.  Now I feel like I have to go into the thread and comment, which will just be kind of disruptive, whereas registering a "like" was a way of appreciating a good argument or point less obtrusively.

Mods, what's up???

I just came to post that no one liked anything!  I'm glad it's not just me, I guess, but it's weird.

I also vote to bring them back.  For one thing, sometimes I have multiple posts in a thread and now I have no idea which one was liked.  And I use likes the way others do too - to tell someone I saw their answer to my question or appreciate what they said.  They make reading through a long thread much easier because you can see which posts everyone thought had relevant and good points.

If anything needs to go, it's the star voting on threads.  It's a nice idea that ought to lead to the great threads getting noticed but when someone asks a question about a problem they're having and it's a genuine issue, especially with their kids, and then someone votes it as a one star it just seems hurtful and weird, especially since you can't tell who did it.  I know some people feel like the likes have been catty, but I don't get that at all.

I've sometimes wondered when someone has posted about something sad.  My tendency is to "Like" the post as a supportive thing.  But, then somewhere I saw someone post that they didn't want to like a certain sad post because they didn't want anyone to think they were happy about the sad thing.  I wonder which way is right.  I wouldn't want to offend anyone, or be mean in any way.

The likes feature was a useful feature because it allowed me to find the useful posts to help answer questions or gave great advice. I am pretty bummed that all my liked posts are gone. I feel like I just went to Evernote only find all my bookmarks gone and to most people who use those types service this would hurt really bad.

ETA

I really hope that it is just a glitch and it will come back soon with all my likes in tack.

If anything needs to go, it's the star voting on threads.  It's a nice idea that ought to lead to the great threads getting noticed but when someone asks a question about a problem they're having and it's a genuine issue, especially with their kids, and then someone votes it as a one star it just seems hurtful and weird, especially since you can't tell who did it.

+1.

I'd rather see it replaced with a 'rate this thread as useful' button, and if it has enough 'usefuls' it gets a star. Kinda like chili peppers on RMP.

If anything needs to go, it's the star voting on threads.  It's a nice idea that ought to lead to the great threads getting noticed but when someone asks a question about a problem they're having and it's a genuine issue, especially with their kids, and then someone votes it as a one star it just seems hurtful and weird, especially since you can't tell who did it.  I know some people feel like the likes have been catty, but I don't get that at all.

:iagree:   Posters have complained it's easy to accidentally one star threads, and some have stated they one star threads because they just find them irrelevant to what they want to read.  That's just hurtful.  Why have such a hurtful thing on threads? 

:iagree:   Posters have complained it's easy to accidentally one star threads, and some have stated they one star threads because they just find them irrelevant to what they want to read.  That's just hurtful.  Why have such a hurtful thing on threads? 

Yep, and star ratings on profiles. I noticed my rating went down after some negative nancy who likes to go around downrating threads visited my profile. Some people are really immature. There should only be a place for positive ratings, otherwise it is used to be hurtful.

Yep, and star ratings on profiles. I noticed my rating went down after some negative nancy who likes to go around downrating threads visited my profile. Some people are really immature. There should only be a place for positive ratings, otherwise it is used to be hurtful.

Right. That's why I don't get how the likes could be catty or negative. It's just positive feedback. I know that it's an awkward word when you're liking something negative, but to so many people, "like" means "right on" or "praying for you" or just "I hear you." I know there are some FB prayer groups where like means praying if it's a negative thing. So even if there were likes of bad things, I wouldn't read into it really.

Wow.  I have a 1 star rating.  How did that happen?  I don't have a mean bone in my body, and I least attempt to be helpful.  I feel I came last in a pageant I didn't know I entered.  

BTW, I gave you a 5 star when I looked.  

Oh, and apparently I lost a star at some point.  No clue how that happened.  Sigh.  The star thing is just mean spirited, right?  For threads and definitely for users.  If it was tied to the sale board, that might make sense, but otherwise it's like a forum slam book.

Right. That's why I don't get how the likes could be catty or negative. It's just positive feedback.

No, it's not.

One person would make a really snarky comment and 17 people would like it.  Then make a big deal that they liked it.  Then make a big deal that they were out of likes because the Queen Snark had garnered too many of theirs.  Etc, etc. 

It was kind of like the junior high lunch room.  

Not pretty.  

Like I said, if you never saw it, consider yourself fortunate.  

I completely agree that we shouldn't be able to star-rate threads and users.  Like others, I've had a hurtful experience with that - the one and only time I ever posted on the Chat Board.  I left with my tail between my legs and have not been back.  I think there is a different culture on that board, maybe?  I don't know.  But I do wish we could still see thread likes.

I completely agree that we shouldn't be able to star-rate threads and users.  Like others, I've had a hurtful experience with that - the one and only time I ever posted on the Chat Board.  I left with my tail between my legs and have not been back.  I think there is a different culture on that board, maybe?  I don't know.  But I do wish we could still see thread likes.

It is a different culture over there.  I sometimes avoid it over there for awhile.  It's like a whole other set of posters.  Which is fine...  not griping at all.  But it's different from the ed boards.

:iagree: Posters have complained it's easy to accidentally one star threads, and some have stated they one star threads because they just find them irrelevant to what they want to read. That's just hurtful. Why have such a hurtful thing on threads?

I KNOW I have accidentally given one star.

I KNOW I have accidentally given one star.

It appears to be really easy on mobile platforms, especially.  Heck, I might have and don't know it.  So I know we should probably just ignore the star ratings, but as people have said, if you have a sensitive thread and are looking for support a one star rating just kind of hurts. 

I have accidentally rated someone with one star. I think I was only even on their profile by accident. Gah! @ tablet+clumsy finger+sluggish internet. I think I was able to change my one star to a five star, though (I didn't even know the person but felt really, really bad for randomly showing up on their profile and giving them a low rating all in a couple of moments of utter confusion and tablet chaos - I wouldn't have done that to them purposefully even if I had known them enough to not like them!).

I also share a frustration over Amazon review/book ratings.

And I also agree that if the thread ranking can't be limited to something that communicates "this thread is exceptionally useful" (eliminating the "this thread sucks for some mysterious reason that no one will publicly own up to thinking" low star ranking option), then it would be better to not exist at all. We do still have tags for labeling exceptional threads, after all.

And you'd all know I agreed with those things IF YOU COULD SEE MY "LIKES".  :glare: