Menu

If I like AAS, but want to ditch it...

BrookValley.

...what else might I like?  While I think AAS is a wonderful program, we simply don't need/don't use the hands-on sensory stuff or any of the extras, and I can't justify the cost for a bunch of stuff we don't need. I use the word lists and the teaching information regarding phonograms, rules, etc., and that's it. Continuing with AAS and just purchasing the teacher's manuals is an option--that's what I've been doing--but I would like to look into other options, too. I want something that teaches in a similar way, and I want something easy to use/relatively open-and-go (Spalding or Spell to Read and Write will not work for me).

I'm looking at Spelling Workout and Soaring with Spelling, but I'm sure there are programs I'm missing.

Thoughts?

I agree that How to Teach Spelling would be an excellent choice. It has its own learning curve to it though.

Rod and Staff Spelling through Sound and Structure does cover a lot of rules and is very simple. It does not cover all phonograms like AAS does though.

Logic of English Essentials and the workbook would give you a workbook approach that does cover the rules and phonograms much like AAS, but if you are looking to cut cost, this is not the way to go.

Reading Lessons Through Literature will give you the phonograms and rules, with a bit more hand holding than Writing Road to Reading, but still has a learning curve to it although milder IMO.

We did AAS 1-3 and moved to spelling workout this year. I don't know if I'm in love with it yet. What I am in love with is that DS is doing spelling independently (mostly).

The spelling lists do focus on a specific sound (for the most part), with oddball words throw in. I love that the first exercise is generally syllable based, which gets a kid started spelling a word the same way as AAS. The rest of the exercises I find just fun busy work to cement spellings. But they are fun for DS.

We carry harder words over week to week while moving forward at a two lesson per week schedule, as we did with AAS. There's also built in review every 5 lessons.

Stella

I tried a different program than AAS in the upper levels - I also didn't use all the extras - mostly the book in the upper levels.  Even after trying different programs, I went back to AAS.  I just use it until level 5 and then I do straight dictation.

Beth

We did AAS through level 4. We love it and will take the next two kids at least that far. I needed my oldest to be independent for spelling so last year we moved to R&S spelling. We considered HTTS but since you need the TM and the workbook is not necessary, it didn't look independent at all...I figured if I was going to go that route I could just do AAS without the stuff... Which is pretty much how I did level 3-4 anyway. I think AAS TM, HTTS or R&S are all great options, just see which one looks best to you.

Agreed. I started using the whole package for AAS 1 and 2, then realized I wasn't using the student packet, except for word lists. So, AAS 3-5 have been used with teachers manual only, and if the TM refers to a word list for a particular sound, I just google it and can find a handful of words that fit a similar criteria and not have to essentially pay for the word list, which is all I was really using. I made my own tiles using contact paper and magnets and take good records in the TM of which words my children are having trouble with, so have never needed the file system. I write down the rules when they come up in the TM, and therefore don't  need a copy of those as well.