Menu

Hey Florida peeps-question about registering as homeschoolers

We've used an umbrella school since we moved here, and it's been great and easy. We are considering registering as "real" homeschoolers this year and here's why (tell me if my reasons are worth the change)

1. worried about not being perceived as "homeschoolers" if my children decide to go to high school

2. worried about college admissions thinking we're not real homeschoolers but something else and not looking at our portfolio that wa

3. maybe my older will want to participate in PS sports

4. My child can't dual enroll as an umbrella schooler

Do any of these hold any water, besides #3?

I'm in TN which has similar umbrella school laws, and with few exceptions, colleges consider people graduating from HLA or similar umbrellas as homeschoolers, and want you to apply as a homeschooler (the exceptions are a couple of umbrella programs that also have private schools and that effectively sell their program, with teacher supervision for parents to do at home-those are considered the same as having graduated from the schools B&M program).

#4!! My friend just ran into this with her son and apparently it is a recent change. He was able to Dual Enroll fall term, and then not for the spring when under an umbrella school. My son, who is registered with the county, took classes both semesters without any problems.

#1 & 2, I've never seen anywhere that it makes a difference. I've known homeschoolers that use DE, FLVS, online classes, partial enrollment in school, and Co-ops. Haven't noticed anyone nitpicking at it around here.

#3 I have no clue about, never tried it.

Good luck!!

We've always registered as homeschoolers with our local school district.  My oldest son applied to the IB program last year and it was very easy to deal with them as a home schooling applicant.  I see no drawbacks to our situation.  What do you feel the benefits to continuing to use the umbrella school are?  

I don't think you need to worry about being perceived as real homeschoolers. :)

For me, #4 would hold weight.  Also, not sure how umbrella schools and Bright Futures scholarships work.

Registering with our county was easy-peasy.  I sent an email.  I received an email reply as well as something in the mail.  We elected to do FCAT testing as a way to satisfy the portfolio.  I did not prepare. It was 4th grade, but they didn't do the writing for homeschoolers.  It was actually nice to meet a bunch of homeschoolers at the District HQs for testing.   DS got 4s on both.  He had gotten 5s when he was in school and all they did was prepare for 4 months.  So, I viewed it as a success.

I would consider #3 and #4 to be very valid reasons for registering with the county.  

I have no experience with umbrella schools, but have been told anecdotally, by a friend who had a long conversation with Brenda Dickinson of the Home Education Foundation (lobbyist in Tallahassee) that umbrella schools are being looked on more unfoavorably by colleges.   Again, no experience, just hearsay.

We have always been registered with the county (in our 8th year homeschooling in FL) and have had no problems or issues.   

It doesn't really matter until you hit higschool Algebra, Biology, and American History. At that point, if he wanted to transfer to a public school he would be required to take the End of Course exam in those subjects to get credit for them. (Public school students also have to pass them.). A student registered as a homeschooler with the county can take those exams at their local school. So my son, in 8th grade last year, took the Algebra I End of Course Exam at the local middle school, passed, and will get credit towards highschool. Private school students, including those using an Umbrella school, can't take them. Which means if they transfer in they have to take the test then, maybe years after studying the subject, which is obviously a disadvantage. 

And yes, highschool sports are another benefit. And even before that, I know people whose children attend public school part time, just for electives, or band, or whatnot. My sister is a high school assitant principal and says that they see a LOT of kids that take a few classes at the highschool and homeschool for the rest of the day.

We've used an umbrella school since we moved here, and it's been great and easy. We are considering registering as "real" homeschoolers this year and here's why (tell me if my reasons are worth the change)

1. worried about not being perceived as "homeschoolers" if my children decide to go to high school

2. worried about college admissions thinking we're not real homeschoolers but something else and not looking at our portfolio that wa

3. maybe my older will want to participate in PS sports

4. My child can't dual enroll as an umbrella schooler

Do any of these hold any water, besides #3?

First, I'm not sure what the advantage of an umbrella school really is in Florida.  It's super easy to homeschool in Florida. 

#1 ~ I'm not sure highschoolers or teachers know the difference between an umbrella schooler and homeschooler. It's an issue on paper and has some repercussions, but it looks like homeschooling to everyone else. So I don't think #1 is going to be an issue. 

#2 ~ You need to check with the colleges your dc will be interested in.  Most colleges treat homeschoolers and students from unaccredited programs the same way.  That's how the University of Florida and FSU approach it.  UNF doesn't have any different hoops for untraditional students and I'm not sure about the other state colleges. 

#3 ~ Is absolutely an issue. Not just sports but band or dance teams or any of the extracurriculars offered.  But, you can always drop the umbrella the year your kids move into high school.

#4 ~ This could be a problem.  Right now there is a loophole that some counties are using to charge private schools tuition for dual enrollment courses.  Brenda Dickinson worked with the Dept of Education for 10 months to get clarifying language to close this loophole, but the bill was never heard in committee.  You can read about that in her last newsletter summarizing the 2014 session. 

It doesn't really matter until you hit higschool Algebra, Biology, and American History. At that point, if he wanted to transfer to a public school he would be required to take the End of Course exam in those subjects to get credit for them. (Public school students also have to pass them.). A student registered as a homeschooler with the county can take those exams at their local school. So my son, in 8th grade last year, took the Algebra I End of Course Exam at the local middle school, passed, and will get credit towards highschool. Private school students, including those using an Umbrella school, can't take them. Which means if they transfer in they have to take the test then, maybe years after studying the subject, which is obviously a disadvantage. 

The transfer of credit policy was changed in 2014 to require private and home school students to take an EOC assessment to validate credit for Algebra I and Engish II or III Grades for Geometry, Biology I or United States History are honored without an assessment. And, weirdly, it looks like if there is credit and a final course grade for Algebra I, no end-of-course exam is required.  I'd check with the local district b/c the wording for Algebra I looks inconsistent. Anyway, the EOC requirements for transferring credit have eased up a bit. Here's the statute: 

“Beginning with the 2012-2013 school year, if a student transfers to a Florida public high school from out of country, out of state, a private school, or a home education program and the student's transcript shows a credit in Algebra I, the student must pass the statewide, standardized Algebra I EOC assessment in order to earn a standard high school diploma unless the student earned a comparative score, passed a statewide assessment in Algebra I administered by the transferring entity, or passed the statewide mathematics assessment the transferring entity uses to satisfy the requirements of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, 20 U.S.C. s. 6301. If a student's transcript shows a credit in high school reading or English Language Arts II or III, in order to earn a standard high school diploma, the student must take and pass the statewide, standardized grade 10 Reading assessment or, when implemented, the grade 10 ELA assessment, or earn a concordant score.

If a transfer student's transcript shows a final course grade and course credit in Algebra I, Geometry, Biology I, or United States History, the transferring course final grade and credit shall be honored without the student taking the requisite statewide, standardized EOC assessment and without the assessment results constituting 30 percent of the student's final course grade.“

Lisa

ETA: One advantage that umbrella schoolers used to have over statutory homeschoolers was that Bright Futures required a lower SAT/ACT score for private and public school students.  The gap has seriously closed in the last few years though, so this is no longer such an advantage. 

• 3 weeks later...

But say there is no plan to ever go to public school and my homeschooler takes Algebra 1 in 8th grade. What does it count for? A high school math? And who does it count for? It doesn't matter to the state since she's not getting a diploma. Do I put it on her transcript when applying to college as a math? 

If you are going to have at least four additional math credits it doesn't really matter. If you will only have three (or less) additional math credits then yes, I would add it to the transcript as most colleges want at least four math credits and Florida students regularly count an 8th grade Algebra credit on their high school transcripts.

But say there is no plan to ever go to public school and my homeschooler takes Algebra 1 in 8th grade. What does it count for? A high school math? And who does it count for? It doesn't matter to the state since she's not getting a diploma. Do I put it on her transcript when applying to college as a math? 

It counts toward your graduation requirements. :D  As a homeschooler registered with the county, you decide what she needs to graduate.  You'll want to make sure those requirements are in line with her post-high school plans (working, college, very selective colleges, etc.).  

I put Algebra I, biology and Latin I (taken through FLVS) on the transcript as high school courses taken in 8th grade. It will give her more high school total credits, which may matter for some admissions. Especially since it's a high school credit in one of the 5 core areas (math, science, social science, English and foreign language).

Lisa