Menu

IEW Theme Based Writing

Has anyone used IEWs theme based writing books?  I'm looking particularly at the Life Science Based Writing.  We have used Elegant Essay and I plan to use Introduction to Literature Analysis. 

The Life Science book sounds interesting.  I'd love some feedback...

Thanks!

I'd look at the content and see if it is what you want at that level.  Most of their theme-based books are for younger kids, although the Life Science and American History ones are rated for high school.  Having taught through the IEW units for years with younger kids in paid classes, I'm not sure about using a theme-based book, even a high school level one, for a kid that has already been through Elegant Essay.  I don't know enough about how they write it for older kids.  

One of my teens is taking a local class with a teacher that uses the Medieval theme-based book (actually rated for middle school) and adds material to make it appropriate for high school.  And said teen is *NOT* happy although she loves the history and literature material that this teacher adds (it is an all-morning, history/lit/writing/art class).  In her mind the IEW units are too elementary.  The keyword outlines, adding dress-ups, etc. is something that she is beyond.  The way she's been talking this summer, she doesn't plan to continue with that group the following year if they use IEW again. 

HTH!

Thanks for the feedback!

She's a good writer, but a reluctant one.  I thought maybe the Life Science theme would entice her to write, as she is science-minded. 

I can make another writing plan for her that may be a better fit.