Menu

If you use Financial Peace Jr....

joannqn

Do you allow the kids to skip their chores if they choose to do so knowing they won't get paid for the ones they skipped?  

We just started last week, and like the last time we tied chores to allowance/commission, they simply chose not to do their assigned jobs.  They knew they wouldn't get paid if they didn't do it.  So my 5 year old only earned $0.25 out of $2.50.  My 7 year old earned $.70 of his available $3.00.  My 12 year old got $4.50 out of the $6 he could have earned (he likes being big ticket items).  My 14 year old earned $2 out of $7.  They are not allowed to pick up extra chores unless their regular assigned ones are done.

I have the program but haven't used it yet. My understanding was that Dave recommends that there are some chores that kids do just because they're part of the family, and everyone contributes--no skipping those. The ones they get paid for are not required; if they don't do them, I guess Mom does, but the kids don't get paid. Maybe Mom should make a big deal about getting that money for doing those chores =)

I haven't done it, but if I had that issue, I'd wonder if I could "create" more everyday situations where money would be wanted or needed -- such as paying for their own clothing, toiletry items, desserts or treat groceries, gas to their activities... Something like that, maybe.

I use a modified version. I noticed in the materials that there were some chores that I would never give commission for. I don't give commission for any self care chores or picking up after oneself. Sometimes a kid doesn't want to do their chores, but then I let the other kids do them for commission. Usually a trip to Target encourages the less motivated one to start chores again. "Hey, I don't have any money for gum, but sis has enough money to get a three pack..."

I didn't follow the FInancial Peace plan exactly, but if their commission chores are everyday things that affect others, they then have to PAY someone to do the job for them, so in addition to not getting their "allowance" (commission) they LOSE money on top of that.

Looking into the future with this cocept: That has extended into the teen years.  My driver is actually a very good, cautious law-abiding driver, but just for extra 'insurance' she knows that if she gets into an accident where she was negligent, any moving violations, or texting/reading texts/anything mobile while driving not only does she lose ALL priviliges to drive any car we own FOREVER, but she must also PAY ME to drive her anywhere someone else in the family is not also going- so free rides to church, but she'll pay me minimum wage plus gas mileage both ways to drive her to school, work, etc.

And a fun success story: We paid for all belt tests for BabyBaby, except for Black Belt. Our rule was that she had to work to earn the money for the test. No dipping into Birthday money, and no taking $20 from a 'helpful' Granny for tiny little things like carrying a bag in from the car. Oh my gosh- she was SO proud to dump out her $100 for the test! And she worked hard- actually helped carry moving boxes and furniture!

We don't pay for regular chores.  You help out because you live here and are a member of the family.  I used to have a chore chart that listed who did what when.  I broke up the day to include chores to be done before school, lunchtime, and after school.  They were always short 5 - 10 minute tasks.   I don't pay my kids for extra chores either unless it was something I would have paid someone else to do.  I did encourage ways to make money like lawn mowing, snow shoveling, babysitting, tutoring and, when they were old enough, summer jobs.  We tried doing an allowance and I told the kids that they had to put 10% aside for charitable purposes, 1/2 of the remainder in the bank and 1/2 was theirs to spend.  It worked for a while, but I never seemed to have the right amount of change to make it work.  My boys are not materialistic.  We never really bought candy when they were young and they didn't want a lot of stuff.  Dd has more wants (clothes, movies with friends, etc.) so she is willing to hustle to get babysitting jobs. 

You're right. We need to make more opportunities for them to use their spending money.

This was me. We are minimalists and limit junk foods, but I had to realize that their money was theirs. I had to let some control go over their spending money. Within reason of course. Now, if there is something that they want that is a piece of junk, I try to guide their thinking. If they still want it, I let them get it. They usually realize that I was right when that cheap dollar store toy breaks in a day. :p

We haven't done FP Jr. (DH and I went through the regular FP course), but yes, we allow skipping and then no pay. However, ours is a little more complex. Each kid's job needs to be done in the a.m. and the p.m. If they do it, they get a check. If they choose to skip, they get an X. If there was some pre-arranged event and it couldn't be done, they get an O, which counts neutral. At the end of the week, they get paid $0.50 for each check, but an X counts against a check. So if they did the job every day in the morning but not at night, they would break even for the week and get nothing. If they don't break even, that is, if there's more X's than checks, they owe back money. DH came up with the system and it has worked for us. The three different jobs rotate every two days, so if someone doesn't do their job (dishwasher, for example), the next person gets stuck with a big pile, so they can see how their work affects others.

Erica in OR

What do they have to spend the money on? If you buy them things regularly, there are treats in the house, etc, then what is the motivation to earn the money?

When I was a kid there was no candy/treats/soda at all except for special occasions or that bought with pocket money. We never received toys etc except at Christmas and birthdays, so we bought Pokemon cards and stuff out of pocket money. My youth group activities came out of my pocket money. So we wouldn't risk skipping jobs because we knew we would actually miss out.

I agree, I didn't want the kids to think that if they didn't need money they didn't have to do any chores to support the family.  There are certain basic chores that we all do and those are not tied to money.  Then there are chores that are tied to an allowance but as others have said I also have to provide opportunities for the money to be useful in some way.  Some goes to charitable donations and they do the donating themselves whenever possible, some goes to long term savings and we talk about what their long term goals are, plus short term goal savings,  tec. but I also have to be mindful that if they don't ever really need anything (and they rarely ask for anything) then chore money will seem pretty useless to them.  Where is the motivation?  But I don't want the desire to spend just to spend to be the motivating factor either.  So I am trying to find things that make sense within the context of their day to day lives that they will see as useful to want to purchase.  Not always an easy balance.