Menu

HELP! Need some modern world literature that is NOT depressing!

Hi Everyone,

I would love any suggestions for world literature that is NOT depressing.  I have spent the summer reading to prepare for my modern world literature class, and am having a difficult time finding books I love. I am really looking to expose the students to different cultures.

Students have already read:

Cry the Beloved Country

The Hiding Place 

Red Scarf Girl

The Road from Home

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

The Chosen

All Quiet on the Western Front

I have read far and wide, including many much more modern books. So far, they will read:

Mountains Beyond Mountains (doctor who works to change life in Haiti, Peru, Russia)

Love in the Driest Season (Aids crisis in Africa, life of a journalist, difficulty adopting in Zimbabwe) - a few graphic scenes of bombing

Zeitoun (Arab American who tries to be helpful in New Orleans after Katrina, jailed for being a terrorist - Arab discrimination)

The Joy Luck Club ( four chinese american immigrant families in San Francisco who start a majong club)

Nectar in a Sieve (India-fictional history of a marriage between Rukmani, youngest daughter of a village headman, and Nathan, a tenant farmer)

Books need to be no longer than about 300 pages, or these guys won't get it done. If you really love something, even if it is depressing, let me know. Native American, European, African American experience etc is fine. Any help or input is appreciated.

I was just looking at my bookshelf and noticed this one, Peace Like A River by Leif Enger. I read it a few years ago and recently pulled it out to read again. I remember it being so beautifully written and the characters and family just wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Like-River-Leif-Enger-ebook/dp/B0062A4882/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407781675&sr=1-1&keywords=peace+like+a+river

Also, The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Life-Bees-Kidd-Paperback/dp/B008CMNPIM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407781786&sr=1-1&keywords=secret+life+of+bees

Hi Everyone,

I would love any suggestions for world literature that is NOT depressing.  I have spent the summer reading to prepare for my modern world literature class, and am having a difficult time finding books I love. I am really looking to expose the students to different cultures.

Students have already read:

Cry the Beloved Country

The Hiding Place 

Red Scarf Girl

The Road from Home

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

The Chosen

All Quiet on the Western Front

I have read far and wide, including many much more modern books. So far, they will read:

Mountains Beyond Mountains (doctor who works to change life in Haiti, Peru, Russia)

Love in the Driest Season (Aids crisis in Africa, life of a journalist, difficulty adopting in Zimbabwe) - a few graphic scenes of bombing

Zeitoun (Arab American who tries to be helpful in New Orleans after Katrina, jailed for being a terrorist - Arab discrimination)

The Joy Luck Club ( four chinese american immigrant families in San Francisco who start a majong club)

Nectar in a Sieve (India-fictional history of a marriage between Rukmani, youngest daughter of a village headman, and Nathan, a tenant farmer)

Books need to be no longer than about 300 pages, or these guys won't get it done. If you really love something, even if it is depressing, let me know. Native American, European, African American experience etc is fine. Any help or input is appreciated.

North and South (E. Gaskell)--published 1850ish, so just the very tip of modern

Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)--also just the tip of the modern era. Dickens' best book IMHO.

Their Eyes Were Watching God (ZN Hurston)--deeply affirming of African-American culture. You get the good, the bad and the ugly with this one. You will definitely enjoy most of it and be left smiling. Extremely well written.

The Importance of Being Earnest (O Wilde)

For fun--Try some Wodehouse. Jeeves and Wooster are SO. MUCH. FUN. The books are well written and laugh-out-loud funny. The PBS shows are great too--not always strictly accurate, but close enough, and definitely in keeping with the spirit of Wodehouse. Superb casting and really really funny.

How about adding in some short stories? The ones below are very good and not depressing (IMHO). You can probably find most of them online. These writers have lots of good short stories.

“The Necklace†by Maupassant

“The Three Hermits†by Leo Tolstoy

“A Slander†by Anton Chekhov

“The Passover Guest†by Sholom Aleichem

“The Secret Miracle†by Jorge Luis Borges

“The House of Asterion†by Jorge Luis Borges

“Dead Men’s Path†by Chinua Achebe

Thank you to everyone who has submitted ideas so far.  I can only use books for this co-op literature class, no short stories or poetry.  I am willing to consider anything that people have liked.  I also need one american lit book - preferably an African American experience book, but really open to anything even remotely uplifting.  I picked up Secret Life of Bees yesterday and Things Fall Apart.  Forgot to say we read Herriot, Austen, Importance of Being Earnest.

Thanks again for any more suggestions!

The Color of Water: a Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother by James McBride - an autobiography in which the author recounts being raised by a Jewish mother and a Black father in the mid-20th century. He also came from a large family. This was a remarkable account of an extraordinary family.

The Chosen, by Chaim Potok is very thought provoking, as is My Name is Asher Lev by the same author.  Both have tension between parent/child/culture (modern day mainstream America and traditional Jewish).  Not depressing, but thoughtful. 

For some fun, I would highly suggest Wodehouse, or To Say Nothing of the Dog, by Connie Willis.  :)

I was just looking at my bookshelf and noticed this one, Peace Like A River by Leif Enger. I read it a few years ago and recently pulled it out to read again. I remember it being so beautifully written and the characters and family just wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Like-River-Leif-Enger-ebook/dp/B0062A4882/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407781675&sr=1-1&keywords=peace+like+a+river

^ Yes!  I LOVE Peace Like a River.  Also, the Book Thief, which is sad, but I wouldn't call it depressing.  It's long, but it's a fairly quick read.

Death Comes for the Archbishop  (Willa Cather)

It's shorter than My Antonia, but it has the same plot of a character doing the best they can with limited means/circumstances and doing better than ok in the end.  It's in the US, but in an area that was only recently annexed at the time of the book.  It focuses on a French archbishop who is surrounded by Spanish, Native Americans, and some white Americans.  (I think there's also a black slave who was never freed despite the Civil War?  I can't remember exactly now).  I found the juxtaposition of cultures to be interesting.

Zora Neale Hurston is also popular these days in lit courses.  I think she was a grad student of the same professor that was Margaret Mead's advisor?  And did a lot of folklore collection in the American South (if I'm remembering this right).

"Exodus" by Leon Uris.  This might be longer than you want, but I think it comes in 'just under the wire' IIRC. 

"The Bean Trees" by Barbara Kingsolver

"Ishi in Two Worlds" by Theodora Kroeber

"So Big" by Edna Ferber

"Giants in the Earth" by Rolvaag

These are all books about progress or pioneering, various takes on it.  They all have overall positivity and are very well-written.

I would take a look at what you want to cover WRT literary periods/movements --I'm sorry, I can't think of the right word.

I mean I would choose books I could use to compare and contrast. For example, (using Am Lit) the whole "man is born corrupt vs man is born innocent and society corrupts" theme--I'd contrast Scarlet Letter and Lord of the Flies, or, Huck Finn or Moby Dick and....well, something else. (The mind is mush tonight--I hope you are getting my point.)

THEN I'd look for more gentle/less disturbing examples of books that would illustrate what I want to teach, if that were a goal.

So, what sorts of themes or literary elements or whatever are you looking to teach?