Menu

Things to do in Atlanta with kids

TheBugs

Are you coming from somewhere with a decent zoo?  If so, then I wouldn't bother with Atlanta's.  Other than having pandas, it is nothing special.

Is your daughter into American Girl dolls?  If so, there is an AG store in Alpharetta, a northern suburb. 

If you are coming soon, it is ridiculously hot and humid right now--we have had 99% humidity for big chunks of the day.  Unless you're from the tropics, you'll want to take that into account.  I love Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield National Park, for instance, and hiking up the mountain is great fun, but not now.  I might also considering staying away from Stone Mountain for the same reason.

White Water is a water park in Cobb County, but they may have gone to weekend-only hours already because school has started back.  It will be crowded and pricey, of course.

You might want to check the Fox Theatre to see what is going on there when you are in town.  It is a really fun place to see a performance and very kid-friendly (you can eat and drink in your seats).

If you are coming soon, it is ridiculously hot and humid right now--we have had 99% humidity for big chunks of the day.  Unless you're from the tropics, you'll want to take that into account.  

We're coming next week and we're coming from Florida, so we are already hot and humid. So basically, the weather will be much like it is here?

I think all the big things have been covered. Will you be staying downtown? Do you have a rental car that you'll be comfortable driving in traffic? (If you drive in NYC, Chicago, LA, etc., forgive the question! Friends who lived here 30+ years have moved away come back and haaaate driving here.) Our public transportation, quite frankly, sucks...

CityPass is a good deal. The Aquarium, Children's Museum, Centennial Park, World of Coke are all right there together. The Civil Rights Museum isn't open yet but is right there too. They put up one of those huge 360 view Ferris wheels last year, but if you're coming soon, it will probably be fairly hazy from the heat.

If the Braves are in town and you like baseball, that's fun. You often can get cheaper tickets on StubHub on weeknight games (if there's not a big promotion that night) than directly through MLB. Season ticket holders sell their extras.

The Legoland here is inside a mall. It has a couple of cheesy rides, a 4D movie, and a place to build and race Lego cars. The coolest part was walking through the Atlanta cityscape built with Legos. They may have improved it. We went 2 years ago. It's not the same as San Diego's, Chicago's or Orlando's large Legolands. There are usually coupons for it.

I would second Elfinlady's suggestions.  When we visited Atlanta, we purchased Citypasses, which included visits to some of those places.  I thought it was a terrific deal.   http://www.citypass.com/atlanta (I have no affiliation.)          

Highly recommend City Pass!!! Great deal.

We live in the Upstate of South Carolina and we have used these passes to go to Atlanta and had a blast!

Easy to use and you beat the crowds.

Have fun!

I am an aquarium dork. I planned a trip to Atlanta solely to see the aquarium. We went there for a day--about 7 hours I think. We included the shortest behind the scenes tour (it was only 20 or 30 minutes). I would have like to do a long behind the scenes thing, but I can't count on my ds who has down syndrome so we did the short one and it was good.

Whale sharks are sooooo cool.

We're considering a trip to Atlanta in few weeks...the idea of 99% humidity might be scaring me off though!

Lots of things are inside and they are all air conditioned. Lots of outdoor things have plenty of shade or splash parks. The zoo is especially shady and it has some indoor areas too. It's not usually too bad unless you plan to spend ALL day outside. But I like it hot...ymmv.

Lots of things are inside and they are all air conditioned. Lots of outdoor things have plenty of shade or splash parks. The zoo is especially shady and it has some indoor areas too. It's not usually too bad unless you plan to spend ALL day outside. But I like it hot...ymmv.

Thanks for the encouragement! We're having a cool summer so really not accustomed to heat/humidity this year.

We are especially interested in the aquarium, zoo, botanic garden and Coke. Good to know the zoo is shady!

Someone mentioned the Fox & it is really fun. They have a summer movie festival going on & it looks like there will be a Mary Poppins sing-along on Aug. 17, if that works for your dates.

http://foxtheatre.org/fox-theatre-announces-2014-coca-cola-summer-film-festival-lineup-special-movie-tours/

or

http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=MAR&linkID=fta&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

The fun thing about the summer movies is to get a seat in the balcony somewhere (so you can see the twinkling sky on the ceiling) & go early because they have a big organ (Mighty Mo) that they play & do audience sing-alongs before the movie starts. They also show a vintage cartoon before the movie.

If you end up going to see something at the Center for Puppetry Arts, they often have a craft activity afterward (related to the show). Can't remember if there's an extra charge for that or not (I'm thinking there is) & you could either work on it there or get the supplies & take it to go.

If your kids happen to love ancient history, the Carlos Museum at Emory can't be beat. It has an awesome collection. (The museum bookstore is also great & has a wonderful selection of kids' books -- many of which are mentioned in the WTM.) Too bad they don't have any of the children's workshops during your week here -- those are great. (Just so you know in case you come at another time.)

If you happen to be here this Friday, there is free admission at the High Museum for homeschool students (adults have to pay).

ETA: If you're near the Peachtree Plaza downtown, you can ride the glass elevator up to the top & look out at the city. Very neat views all around.

http://sundialrestaurant.com/general-information/

If you decide to eat there, I'd suggest lunch instead of dinner (for price). It's kind of fun to dine while rotating around & seeing the city views, but not all kids or families are interested in that.

happi duck, go to the zoo as soon as it opens. It will be (slightly) cooler in the morning & the animals are more likely to be a little more perky then. Of course, the aquarium & Coke are indoors, so no problems there. I've never been to the Botanical Gardens. :o

ETA: Don't know when you're coming, but DragonCon is during Labor Day weekend. Loads of fun (cool parade on Saturday morning), but downtown is packed, packed, packed then.