Menu

Smile You're On Candid Camera!

Spy Car

Thanks for the announcement Bill!  We're another family who loves Candid Camera and watched the original and the more recent remake with, was it Pete?

We won't be home tonight to catch it at 8pm, but I'm trying hard to keep it in my memory for 11pm!  Then I can set it up to tape all the others...

I'll also admit disappointment about the Cannabis, but if it's only in one episode, it will be forgiveable.  The show, if it's like it's predecessors, is awesome - one of our favorites that we tend to bring up a bit in certain conversations (esp the sideways elevator and the car parked tightly between two others).

Kudos to y'all!

ps  I'll take note of who's advertising too.  ;)

The only Parental Advisory I'd offer is that the lead segment in Wednesday night's show (103) features subjects in Denver who are asked to compare and contrast various "cannabis products" in the form of vape-pen bongs. Turns out there is nothing in these but "water vapor," but people's minds play tricks on them.

Sounds like an episode of Degrassi Junior High....

Thanks for the announcement Bill! We're another family who loves Candid Camera and watched the original and the more recent remake with, was it Pete?

Yes, Peter Funt (the son of creator of Candid Camera Alan Funt. He is the co.-host (and Exeutive Prodocer) this time too. I did the last version with Suzanne Sommers (on CBS) and Dina Eastwood (on Pax) with Peter. And as a young man worked on the show with Alan Funt.

I'll also admit disappointment about the Cannabis, but if it's only in one episode, it will be forgiveable. The show, if it's like it's predecessors, is awesome - one of our favorites that we tend to bring up a bit in certain conversations (esp the sideways elevator and the car parked tightly between two others).

I edited the Sideways Elevator gag. That was fun. We just remade the Close Parking (it is in the first 5 shows.

The Cannabis gag (which makes fun of pot use as opposed to encouraging it) is one gag out of a hundred. We have not gone Cheech and Chong. It is the only segment I feel squeamish about children watching (and the only one I did not share with my 10 year old, who I show cuts-in-progress) so I mention it. Otherwise we have a very family friendly show.

It is a difficult time, with "reality shows" amping up the mean, the cruel, the salacious, the tawdry, and the shocking, to sell a show that's true to its good-humored roots and respects human dignity. I think we are offering a real departure from the dreck. And I hope the audience likes it.

Kudos to y'all)

Thanks!

Bill

Yes, Peter Funt (the son of creator of Candid Camera Alan Funt. He is the co.-host (and Exeutive Prodocer) this time too. I did the last version with Suzanne Sommers (on CBS) and Dina Eastwood (on Pax) with Peter. And as a young man worked on the show with Alan Funt.

I edited the Sideways Elevator gag. That was fun. We just remade the Close Parking (it is in the first 5 shows.

The Cannabis gag (which makes fun of pot use as opposed to encouraging it) is one gag out of a hundred. We have not gone Cheech and Chong. It is the only segment I feel squeamish about children watching (and the only one I did not share with my 10 year old, who I show cuts-in-progress) so I mention it. Otherwise we have a very family friendly show.

It is a difficult time, with "reality shows" amping up the mean, the cruel, the salacious, the tawdry, and the shocking, to sell a show that's true to its good-humored roots and respects human dignity. I think we are offering a real departure from the dreck. And I hope the audience likes it.

Thanks!

Bill

That all sounds great.  We're really looking forward to watching it.  Thanks a ton for the heads up as when I tape things I use keywords.  Candid used to be one of those words when Peter's show was on (or reruns), but I haven't searched for it in a while and would have missed the new ones.  

Thanks again for pushing for the show - and I will definitely take note of the advertisers.

Degrassi is one of my favorite TV series ever. :)

I found the episode! #3 of season 1:

Kathleen and Melanie are discussing drugs again and Melanie says she wants to try drugs once. Joey overhears them. He pretends to be a drug dealer and offers to get them some drugs. Joey and Wheels meet up with Kathleen and Melanie. Joey meets up to give them "New Zealand Zappers" for $5. They take the pills and think they're stoned. Joey reveals to Wheels that he only gave Melanie and Kathleen vitamin pills.

http://degrassi.wikia.com/wiki/The_Experiment

**removed youtube embedding. Trust me, it's out there

Edited by stripe

How is it handled when your subjects don't wish to be on candid or any other type of camera? I am a very private person IRL and the idea of appearing on a show like this is a nightmare for me.

However, since I live in the middle of nowhere, am not photogenic, and am usually not all that amusing, it is probably very unlikely that I would ever have to deal with it.

How is it handled when your subjects don't wish to be on candid or any other type of camera? I am a very private person IRL and the idea of appearing on a show like this is a nightmare for me.

However, since I live in the middle of nowhere, am not photogenic, and am usually not all that amusing, it is probably very unlikely that I would ever have to deal with it.

I am curious about this too!  And your last statement applies to me as well!

We don't use anyone who doesn't wish to appear on the show. Legally we're required to get a signed release, and (beyond that) we'd honor people's wishes in any case.

The show has a lot of historic good-will, so most people are very happy to give consent. But if they don't, we don't use it.

Bill 

There is another show similar to Candid Camera where a guy does magic tricks and fools people into believing crazy things.  Problem is the main guy has the personality of a door knob and they never reveal the gag.  Part of the fun is seeing the reactions of people when they realize it is a joke.  Another Candid Camera would be good, I'm sure!

Just finished watching the first two episodes and we still love the show!

I pretty much agree with Mayim, it's a fun mix of comedy and social science - two of my favorite things.   :lol:

We tend to wonder just how far we'd have gone - and learn to remain skeptical about the unbelievable.  It's also refreshing to see that there are many people out there who remain calm, cool, and collected even when presented with the unbelievable (such as the pair kissing or the missing engine).  It sure beats all those threads about folks/neighbors/in-laws/whoever who are quick to get PO'd about pretty much anything or who are impatient and look down upon anyone else!

Of course, I imagine you get some of those too... but they don't make it on camera.  That's ok.  I prefer watching those who give me a refreshing view of those who are patient and good in society.  ;)

One does have to wonder about those so desperate for a job that they will take unknown pills... or who are willing to do their own dental exam!  Some examples of social science sure can be scary...

We're looking forward to more episodes!  Thanks again for the heads up that the show is on as we'd have missed it otherwise.