Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW33

Robin M

Giraffe, I'd love a postcard from Turkey!

I'm curious what my BaW buddies think.

What do you do with really old paperbacks that are falling apart?  Is there ever a point where you don't even bother donating them because they are in such poor condition?  I have an aversion to throwing a book away!  (The recyclers say they don't want them....)

I give EVERYTHING to my library's annual book sale.  They run it straight for 3 days, then everything is half price for the 4th day, then on the 5th day you fill a box for $10.  Anything that's left they give to a local women's shelter.  I suppose there must be some things that ultimately make it to a trash bin somewhere, but not until people of all types and budgets have a shot at your battered LOTR.

(I personally collect so much stuff on days 1,4 and 5 that every year I end up with more than I started with before our donations... but, oh well...)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stacia, I can just imagine the library organization that will go into your next visit to you sister's house. Picking up your holds upon entering town.... :lol:

As part of our library changes we have outsourced the stocking of the shelves. Being done by computer including original ordering. Right now I am finding all sorts of odd for this system new releases with an on order status, one click an it appears two weeks later at my branch. Not sure how long this will continue. I know it isn't a case of all new releases are appearing on the system but far more than normal imo. This is the library system that didn't want to order a new Nora Roberts last year, Dark Witch I think, which has gone out a large number of times. Not sure how well purchase requests are working from individuals these days.

What do you do with really old paperbacks that are falling apart? Is there ever a point where you don't even bother donating them because they are in such poor condition? I have an aversion to throwing a book away! (The recyclers say they don't want them....)

I now own 3 sets of the Lord of the Rings and am definitely keeping the hard bound edition because it has a sensible font and clean white paper so my middle aged eyes can reread in comfort. But the other 2 sets are old paper backs -- one I inherited from my brother and read when I was 13 or so, the other I married into. My set is about to disintegrate but I have a stupid sentimental attachment to it because those are the actual books where I first crushed on Aragorn, where I attempted to learn Elvish. Is that enough of a reason to keep it? My husband's set is at least in good donate-able condition.

Two weeks til all the talk of replacing the old carpet becomes reality so I'm emptying bookshelves. Not as many shelves as Eliana has, but between my books, all the kid books and my husband's collection of art books and comic books it is hugely daunting!! And good exercise with all the trips up and down stairs, arms loaded with books.

*cough*

We used them for kindling

*slinks off to hide*

If you are crafty, there are all kinds of projects you can do with old books.

I did liberate som falling apart copies of To Kill a Mockingbird to do this.

For the list loving among us. http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/books/500115/Best-women-s-fiction I found a few interesting looking fluffy ones that I plan to try and find.

One of of them is supposed to be a fictionalized British Bake Off which is one of our favorite shows. Not sure if it airs on BBC America or not but lovely baking and a nice contest. The book is called The Art of Baking Blind by Sarah Vaughan.

For the list loving among us. http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/books/500115/Best-women-s-fiction I found a few interesting looking fluffy ones that I plan to try and find.

One of of them is supposed to be a fictionalized British Bake Off which is one of our favorite shows. Not sure if it airs on BBC America or not but lovely baking and a nice contest. The book is called The Art of Baking Blind by Sarah Vaughan.

Mumto2, from your link my eye was directed to a link for an interview with Alexander McCall Smith, author of the Isabel Dalhousie mystery series. I enjoyed hearing how and where he hones his craft. He's got a new ID book coming out sometime towards the end of the year.

This is just fun, not book related exactly.

The dc's rang for a Steampunk themed wedding today. Refreshments of ice cream (ice cream van with free cones) in the cemetery. The dc's and their friends had a great time....invited for ice cream when they were done with their job. Best wedding ever (until another one that feeds them happens ;) ) dd says the outfits were great.......they didn't run home and get me so I am a bit disappointed.

That's sounds like so much fun!

What do you do with really old paperbacks that are falling apart?  Is there ever a point where you don't even bother donating them because they are in such poor condition?  I have an aversion to throwing a book away!  (The recyclers say they don't want them....)

I now own 3 sets of the Lord of the Rings and am definitely keeping the hard bound edition because it has a sensible font and clean white paper so my middle aged eyes can reread in comfort.  But the other 2 sets are old paper backs --  one I inherited from my brother and read when I was 13 or so, the other I married into.  My set is about to disintegrate but I have a stupid sentimental attachment to it because those are the actual books where I first crushed on Aragorn, where I attempted to learn Elvish.  Is that enough of a reason to keep it?  My husband's set is at least in good donate-able condition.

Two weeks til all the talk of replacing the old carpet becomes reality so I'm emptying bookshelves.  Not as many shelves as Eliana has, but between my books, all the kid books and my husband's collection of art books and comic books it is hugely daunting!!  And good exercise with all the trips up and down stairs, arms loaded with books.  

Funny, because as soon as I started reading this post, I thought of my LotR set that I bought from the library used that is totally falling apart. I've been wanting to read them, but I think I need a newer set. ;) My set, I'd have no problem tossing, but I'm not as attached to them as you may be.

Mumto2, from your link my eye was directed to a link for an interview with Alexander McCall Smith, author of the Isabel Dalhousie mystery series. I enjoyed hearing how and where he hones his craft. He's got a new ID book coming out sometime towards the end of the year.

:lol: I had a feeling you would end up there. I looked at the mysteries, but nothing appealed.