Menu

Outlander people, did you watch?

Mom in High Heels

So, Outlander fans, did you watch the first episode of the series?  What did you think?  I'm watching it right now, and I have to say, it's far better than I thought it would be.   I read the first few books, but got bored with them after a while.  Yeah, yeah, throw your books at me in outrage.  Still, I was interested in the show, so I tuned in.  I read the books years ago, so I can't remember the particulars, and don't know how closely they're sticking to the plot.  I do love the costumes.   Those kilts!  ;)  How could I not love those kilts?  Seriously though, I like the way they are draped  I've worked on plays (costuming) that had kilts, and they are hard to build (it's called building when you sew a costume).  I can't imagine that people just drape and pleat them around themselves, used a few pins and sashes and they stayed on!  

Anyway, I was just curious as to what Outlander fans thought.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched.  I read book 1 and absolutely loved it.  Then read book two and was a much less enthusiastic.  The rest of the books sit on my shelf but I assume the idea of them gets old easily.  I remember the plot of the first book, but the second one I have no clue about.

That said...

I watched.  DH fell asleep in the first 2 minutes.  I liked it better than I thought I would, although it was sort of slow moving.  I will watch again.

And I have to admit, I came straight to the Chat Board this AM (even before coffee) hoping to find a thread on what people thought of the show.

I watched and I thought the scenery was gorgeous as were the costumes, etc. It was visually very, very nice. I *think* they followed very closely to the book. I read it about 1/2 a year ago. But I'm not an Outlander scholar, so I could be wrong.

However, I read Game of Thrones a few years ago and I've read Outlander and for myself, I've found that even when they do an awesome job on the tv show, I still love the book more. I like how you can get inside the character's thoughts in a book. Of course, with Outlander, you can hear Claire's thoughts via voice over, so maybe I'll like it as much as the book. Dunno. I just find the detail in books to be even better than tv shows, even the shows that are excellently done.

Since I know the story, I don't feel like I need to watch the show. But if I hadn't read the book, I would have been totally hooked on the show. I watched a free showing of the first episode and I'd be wanting to sign up for Starz after it, if I didn't know the story already.

DH and I watched last night - I've read all the books and he has not. I think we both liked it, though I'm the type to prefer the book 99% of the time. DH did turn to me about 20 minutes in and said "so your favorite book series is basically p*rn" I told him that in the books, there are intimate relations for sure, but the TV show seems to be playing up that angle a good bit more than the books. Then I reminded him that he reads and watches Game of Thrones and that show is way more explicit than the first episode of Outlander! 

Love the scenery and costumes! I was overall pretty happy.

DH did turn to me about 20 minutes in and said "so your favorite book series is basically p*rn" I told him that in the books, there are intimate relations for sure, but the TV show seems to be playing up that angle a good bit more than the books. Then I reminded him that he reads and watches Game of Thrones and that show is way more explicit than the first episode of Outlander! 

Oh my, that was seriously laugh out loud funny!

To be honest though, even though the stories are good in their own right, I have no doubt that the sex is what brought both these series to the screen. Sex sells.

For me however, I close by eyes during those parts, even in the books.  :lol:

I thought the show was well done. There were parts that were different from the book but not in a way that changes the plot line. Well, there was the absence of little Roger from the Reverend's home. Not important now but will be in the next season.

Oh my, that was seriously laugh out loud funny!

To be honest though, even though the stories are good in their own right, I have no doubt that the sex is what brought both these series to the screen. Sex sells.

For me however, I close by eyes during those parts, even in the books.  :lol:

I thought the show was well done. There were parts that were different from the book but not in a way that changes the plot line. Well, there was the absence of little Roger from the Reverend's home. Not important now but will be in the next season.

I was looking for Roger (he's one of my favorite characters) and even had DH looking for a small boy while they were at the Reverend's house. Diana said Roger had been cast and was in a scene, it must have been cut though. And I hear you on the eye closing - I definitely paid more attention to my knitting project during the WWII hospital scene and when Claire popped Jamie's arm back in. I'll probably have to hide under a blanket during the Wentworth episode!

I've been working back through all the books for the past two months and watched the first episode online.  I really enjoyed the show.

I do think I could wind up liking the show better than the books.  As much as I enjoy the story (and as much time as I've invested in it!!!), I do find it difficult to slog through aaaaallllllllll the detail in the books.  I assume the show will wind up feeling slightly "less" for that, but I already know all the drawn out detail, so it'll be nice to just watch the action unfold.

I've read the books but enjoyed the show. I have to agree with others that it was slow at first but I believe for a reason, giving background for the characters and building up to the Time Travel part. I am hooked. My DH watched the last 30 mins with me and he is too. So I can't watch it alone, it's now one of our "together" shows. I hope Starz releases them on the website or I can buy them off of Amazon one at a time to keep up. 

DH and I watched last night - I've read all the books and he has not. I think we both liked it, though I'm the type to prefer the book 99% of the time. DH did turn to me about 20 minutes in and said "so your favorite book series is basically p*rn" I told him that in the books, there are intimate relations for sure, but the TV show seems to be playing up that angle a good bit more than the books. Then I reminded him that he reads and watches Game of Thrones and that show is way more explicit than the first episode of Outlander!

Love the scenery and costumes! I was overall pretty happy.

Shows made for STARZ, HBO and the like have more graphic adult scenes, and more blood guts and gore.

Outlander will be no exception.

Shows made for STARZ, HBO and the like have more graphic adult scenes, and more blood guts and gore.

Outlander will be no exception.

Oh I know. And DH loves the blood and guts and graphic stuff. I will say I prefer Game of Thrones to Drugs Inc or Intervention or any of those other disturbing shows he loves. The mind of an emergency mental health worker is a dark one! I am a bit of a TV wuss though, I tend to like more lighthearted stuff - Frasier, Star Trek, Eureka, Gilmore Girls, older Law and Order, heck, I still love the Brady Bunch! :-) 

I've been working back through all the books for the past two months and watched the first episode online.  I really enjoyed the show.

I do think I could wind up liking the show better than the books.  As much as I enjoy the story (and as much time as I've invested in it!!!), I do find it difficult to slog through aaaaallllllllll the detail in the books.  I assume the show will wind up feeling slightly "less" for that, but I already know all the drawn out detail, so it'll be nice to just watch the action unfold.

^^^ I agree.

I've read all but the newest book which I'm saving for the mid-season hiatus.

I thought the show was well done.  The characters are well cast IMO, but I still don't like Frank.  I like TV Frank better than book Frank, but I still think he's a jerk and I don't think he and Claire would have been any happier together if they hadn't been separated.  

For whomever's friend said the sets looked simple in comparison to other shows, I think that's because so much of Outlander happens outdoors.  I think the sets for the upcoming castle scenes will be of much greater details.  Ron Moore said last night that the set designer, Gary, made casts of the Doune castle blocks to recreate them for the stage sets.  Diana also has significant input into the show so I think overall it will resemble the books as closely as an adaptation can.

I watched it at my mom's Tuesday. I really liked it. I am a very big fan of the books so I was hopeful they would follow the story. I had already fallen in love with the actors, though. I think Sam is amazing as Jamie. Cait didn't fit as naturally and quickly for me, but I had completely come to accept and like her well before seeing the show.

I believe wee Rodger is to be in the next episode.

• 2 weeks later...

I bet given that we were summarily dressed down as ignorant sluts for having enjoyed the books some of us are reluctant to admit we also enjoy the show. ;)

No, that just makes me want to talk about it more, lol!

I'm supposed to get my MIL's streaming code. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

(Don't lecture me. We've already had this debate.)

My main criticism is that voice overs are cheesy. It's dragging the whole show down. It's a different medium. Move away from the book a little more and show the story through things like her imagining that Mrs. Fitz is accusing her of witchcraft to show her motivation in not telling her secret instead of having her read the text of the book in the background.

I agree with the voice-over to an extent, but it seems to me that the frequency of the voice-over is dropping as the story unfolds.  I think it was a necessary tactic to get the story rolling quickly.  I do like how they're using the imaginary scenes, like with Mrs. Fitz, and flashbacks (flash forwards?) with her and Frank, to further tell the story.  Maybe as the show progresses, there will be more of those and less of the voice-overs.

I haven't had a chance to watch ep 3 yet (alas, I've yet to watch the new Doctor either) but I'm still a hard core fan.  People can slut shame me all they want but it will never sway my attention away from good looking redheaded men in a kilt!

I haven't had a chance to watch ep 3 yet (alas, I've yet to watch the new Doctor either) but I'm still a hard core fan.  People can slut shame me all they want but it will never sway my attention away from good looking redheaded men in a kilt!

:iagree:  Yep.  This.  I mean, I watched the repeat Outlander last night twice (after watching Saturday night)  :leaving:

Just watched episode one here in Canada, watched 1&2 previously on the internet.... Love the books love the show! Glad to gather that the Mess Fitz thing is a dream :)

Please don't tell me we're only supposed to watch them once! Once when it's found from the US, at least, once with DH, once with my friend who doesn't have a dvr and works while it's on.....

And Calandalsmom, the words bothered me too! I've been singing Skye Boat Song to DS9 since he was born! But it makes me feel better that Bear McCreary adapted words written by Robert Louis Stevenson, because they suited the story more.

None of the actors were how I pictured the characters - some of them because they just don't match their physical descriptions that closely. However I've felt like they're all giving really good interpretations of the characters. They're all working for me for the most part.

One of the things that isn't translating that well is the budding romance between Claire and Jamie. In the book, the way Claire hides her own feelings from herself means that it's not as completely over obvious as it comes off on screen.

Well, she says there are issues - they're trying to reconnect and haven't totally gotten there. But we can see that they really love each other from the first hundred pages of the book (or whatever it is) and from her internal monologue. The flashbacks do a good job of slowly bringing in the story. I like that they are moving a little away from the book for them and I hope they keep doing them and give a little more in that regard.

Well, she says there are issues - they're trying to reconnect and haven't totally gotten there. But we can see that they really love each other from the first hundred pages of the book (or whatever it is) and from her internal monologue. The flashbacks do a good job of slowly bringing in the story. I like that they are moving a little away from the book for them and I hope they keep doing them and give a little more in that regard.

yes, I agree. I never got the feeling while reading the books that they ever had the passion and love that she develops for Jamie but he wasn't horrible either and at first she was wanting to escape and get back to him. So, I do think it looks like they are trying to portray that she is still trying to make that happen. I would have been disappointed if she immediately started swooning over Jamie and forget Frank, I'll just stay here kind of mentality!

I forgot I started this thread!  Thanks for reviving it.  I'm still enjoying it, and I say this as someone who is NOT a fan of the books.  Too much blah, blah, blah for my liking.  The story is good, there was just.too.much.detail.  I read the first few books (3 or 4), but couldn't take it any more.

I like Claire quite a lot, but I'm still rather meh on Jamie (don't throw things at me!).  I mean he's pretty and all, but he just seems a bit dull.  Maybe that will change once they get the story moving.  

I kind if wish it was an old school mini series. One hour a week is a dreadful tease!

Yes to this!  They could do a mini-series for each book maybe.

yes, I agree, I don't like waiting a week between episodes.  I miss those old school mini-series (what's the plural of mini-series, I wonder... mini-serieses?)  I remember watching North and South as a kid.... loved it!

Oh, I LOVED North and South.  There was a sequel too, but I can't remember the name of it.  

No, that just makes me want to talk about it more, lol!

I'm supposed to get my MIL's streaming code. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

(Don't lecture me. We've already had this debate.)

I won't lecture!  Stream away.

Ah, the third episode has magically appeared! Loved it, of course. I found Ron Moore's podcast to be very interesting this week, as it's been so long since they wrapped this one up; they were discussing how much the actors and crew and everything has changed in the past year, as they are working on 15 and 16 right now.

SPOILERS******

I loved tonight's episode! I thought it was great and didn't solely focus on the Claire and Jamie. I love how they are playing up Geillis. She is so curious and it makes you wonder where they are going with her and Dougal's relationship. Is she acting as Dougal's eyes now and they will reveal her curious motives down the line or are they playing up her own role as a time traveler and her just being curious. In the book, she didn't try to "reveal" herself to Claire until the witch trial... I also was shocked how they are setting that up with Legwhore...