Menu

Zoology 1 for a 6yo?

Mynyel

Is that doable? I know he won't memorize the classification structure, for the most part anyway. By the time I discovered Apologia my older two were past the age of 6 so I don't know if it would be to much.

I don't think so if we take it slow but just wanting to see if others can chime in here!

I think it all depends on the child.  My dd was able to start Apologia when she was 5yo without any problems and she's been using it ever since.  My 6yo ds though is not ready for it.  He just doesn't have the attention span to sit and listen to me read that much. He starts to tune out after a few minutes and doesn't remember anything.  

The apologia science books, In my opinion, are a little deep for that age. We did the astronomy one with the Jr notebooking when my son was in kindergarten and he did well, but was kinda lost for much of it :) The zoology ones are a little more difficult. This is only my experience with my kiddos.

What about Singapore science? Or if you want non secular, Christian liberty press?

Just some ideas for you :)

My 6 yro is going through Apologia's Flying Creatures right now (we actually started in the spring sometime) and is able to understand the readings.  I keep the readings very short though.  I also try to add some hands-on stuff to it.  Last week, she looked at the faces of ants and beetles under our microscope.  (Yuck!)  She thought their hairy legs were funny.   :tongue_smilie:

It's doable with some 6 year-olds.

Yes with Apologia!! My 4 year old listened and helped a ton! I do prefer the lapbooks over the jr. notebooks hands down. We also met with a family to complete the fun activites and she has learned a ton about birds so far! Starting back this year with the insect portion :)

Yesterday she even told her great grandma what kind of nest the birds had built!

I did Apologia Botany with my ds when he was 6, before they had the notebooking journals (regular OR jr. version) available.    So we esentially did all of the reading and some of the experiments and activities.    He is now 12 and still remembers much of that year.

My dd is not as much of a science lover, and doesn't remember a lick of what she did when she was 6.   

I would say that if your child loves science, it would be fine, but go slowly and don't expect too much.    The Flying Creatures book has some fun bird feeding activities, that a 6 year old would enjoy, as long as you can attract birds to your yard in the first place.    We live on a lake and get a TON of birds in our yard, so we really enjoyed the activities.   I have a friend who lives in a neighborhood where her back yard is fenced, and backs up to someone else's back yard.   They got very few birds when they did the Flying Creatures activities, but since she had no birdfeeders already established in her yard, I think the birds in her area just didn't know free food was there. :)

After having completed Zoo 1, Botany and Anatomy, I've come to the conclusion that the Apologia elementary books are a little too deep for early elementary.  Better for middle school, imo.  My kids enjoyed learning the subjects, but retained pretty much nothing.  

I'm exploring interest-led for this age group and may return to Apologia in a couple of years.