Menu

something like education-portal?

I loved the full course Educational-Portal classes, with the teacher's voice in the background and the little videos ... but of course, as was previously discussed somewhere, now they want money for them. I don't really have the money to spend so ... does anyone know where I might find something similar? I'm not talking about something like coursera -- but something a bit simpler. Khan is not bad, but doesn't have social studies.

• 2 weeks later...

Crash Course on You Tube - limited courses

saylor.org - not as simple as educational-portal, but free outlined classes utilizing various free resources online. They have high school and college level courses. 

Currently Saylor only has English and Math classes at the high school level. They have a lot of college level classes so for HS Juniors and Seniors plenty to pick from.

Other then Crash Course I haven't had any luck finding something either.  Because DS loves EP so much, we will continue to use it at $20 a month.  

That might must be a "grand-fathered" price.  Lowest published price is $49.99 per month (says discounted from $69.99). Seems expensive for what they offer.

That might must be a "grand-fathered" price.  Lowest published price is $49.99 per month (says discounted from $69.99). Seems expensive for what they offer.

It is, depending upon whether you had signed up for a student or teacher account you received that price offered after an extended free period. IIRC, it was 6 months or 12 months depending upon account type. 

My personal opinion is that it's not a good move with saylor, carnegie-mellon, and Udacity courses being free. 

I wonder if they are trying to market themselves to the college market? My sociology professor used several of their videos in our online class last year. They're simple and nicely done, but not worth $50 a month. 

It is, depending upon whether you had signed up for a student or teacher account you received that price offered after an extended free period. IIRC, it was 6 months or 12 months depending upon account type. 

My personal opinion is that it's not a good move with saylor, carnegie-mellon, and Udacity courses being free. 

I wonder if they are trying to market themselves to the college market? My sociology professor used several of their videos in our online class last year. They're simple and nicely done, but not worth $50 a month. 

I agree $50/mo for video access won't be sustainable* - simple free market economics - it may work at $20-25/mo which falls into the "noise" for most middle-class families.   

(Although I am amazed how much people spend on smart-phone plans per month and think they are worth it.)

*compare to quality online classes like Derek Owens

Yes, I'm grandfathered in at the $20.  Which is about the max I'm willing to pay(debatable).  I still have free access until October and still looking for something that DS likes as much.  I wish Discovery Education had better quality videos and had more of them for the Soc. Stu. subjects, as for Crash Course, they're great but not nearly enough information.  

DS doesn't do well with whiteboard instruction or with an instructor type standing in front of a podium droning on and on.  I blame history channel and discovery channel for making learning interesting through flashy re-enactments and cool Mythbuster style experiments.  

Well, these aren't exactly like the Education Portal videos but they may be workable free alternatives for history.

Hip Hughes History and Government 

Jocz History videos

Norris' APUSH videos

Another good free resource for videos is GetaFive. These feature short more traditional (teacher in frame) videos for AP US History and AP World History. They also have AP Calculus and AP Biology. 

Well, these aren't exactly like the Education Portal videos but they may be workable free alternatives for history.

Hip Hughes History and Government 

Jocz History videos

Norris' APUSH videos

Another good free resource for videos is GetaFive. These feature short more traditional (teacher in frame) videos for AP US History and AP World History. They also have AP Calculus and AP Biology. 

Not the OP, but some of these look great. Thanks!