Menu

So is there actually a legit way to...............

Um_2_4

make some spare change on the side from home? Like I would be thrilled with $100/month spare change.

This is only to add some $ to our homeschool budget. I would even be ok with amazon GCs or other GCs I could use for household items that would free up $ from the budget for homeschooling. We will not be homeless/starving/foregoing medical care without it. 

I recall reading about Swagbucks and other sites, do those still exist, are they worth the time? I remember some one mentioned in a thread here a site with tasks and there was training/testing , but some I recall tried it out and not many made it through and the pay was really low. 

I do not want to sell stuff, I am not crafty (I barely sew curtains with straight hems.... girl's skirts are my limit) and I can not go out and get a part time job (no transport, no family/friends nearby and DH has irregular hours) and I am not an animal person (except cats, but DH is allergic). It really needs to be something that I can do on the computer maybe an hour or 2 a day. I have not kept up any skills (like web design & programming and anyways I hated it when I did it, so no desire to go back) and I am no writer. Babysitting is out, the raise in our home owners insurance would eat up any profit and I don't want to interrupt our homeschool days (not to mention I am kind of enjoying this stage of life right now baby free). So now that I have shot down most of the commonly suggested ideas :lol: , anyone have an uncommon idea ??? :tongue_smilie:

• Like 3

Tutoring online?

Or maybe it might be easier to cut $100 from your monthly budget in another area (cancel cable or ...)?

I have thought about tutoring, I did that through college and and good money then.... anyone know a  good site????

Ya, we have cut as much as we can, no cable (no tv actually), no eating out, no "entertainment" budget at all, no cells, down to one car, no extracurriculars (for any of us). If you saw my post in another thread, we are actually supporting the ILs, so 11 people total and we don't qualify for any aid (reduced utilities, etc) as the ILs do not live with us, we send them $ overseas. This is really just so I can have a bit more room to wiggle in the home schooling dept. (if a planned curriculum doesn't work or I need a tutor in xxx for one of the kids or  ??.........).

I do a couple of things:

Yes, Swagbucks exists. I can't "make" more than $5 or $10 a month in gift cards there, though.

I tutor online through Tutor.com. they like you to have at least a B.A., and you have to pass a test on each subject you want to tutor. Some subjects are in more demand than others. If you want to tutor English, for example, it could be quite a while before they bring you onboard. In a typical week during the academic year, I can work from about six hours to about 15. Doing the minimum number of hours each week would earn at least as much as you're looking to add to your budget.

I do a little bit of general transcription through Rev.com. We are paid by the audio minute transcribed, and the pay isn't a lot, but the work is very flexible and you don't need any credentials or prior experience if you pass their test. They supposedly hire about 10 percent of the people who apply. They estimate that you will earn $30 a month for the first month or two, but once you have successfully submitted a certain number of projects, you can start earning more. If you are focused about claiming work and reasonably accurate, it's not hard to make $100 a month there, either.

[Good grief, I'm so sorry about all the typos in my original post! I was typing on my phone without my glasses, which is never a good idea.] 

• Like 6

I wrote for textbroker for a time, but the pay is very low and while you can pick assignments, unless you can write off the cuff about a large number of items, the options can be limited. I tried Lionbridge, but didn't make it through the selection process and wasn't too thrilled about the work itself. 

I do swagbucks, but again $5-10 dollars a month would be top for me unless you want to be on the site all day. 

For a while, textbroker was good, but I only need to bring in $30-$50 per month and could do that in the summer. 

• Like 1

Can you donate plasma where you live?  When I'm actively donating twice a week, I can make up to $240 a month.    I get $20 on the first donation of the week, $30 in the second, plus whatever bonuses they are offering.  That's $25 an hour for my time (to sit and read a book and pump my arm once in a while), since my donation time is between 45 minutes and an hour.  They load that money onto a visa debit card, and it's available immediately after my donation is done. 

Most place also offer free child care while you donate, so you could take your younger ones along if you needed to. 

• Like 2

I've earned $100/month through a mix of at home-type jobs, such as eBay, textbroker and ChaCha.  (I'm not sure if ChaCha still hires, and it has changed a lot from what it used to be.)  I've heard that Elance has tons of online job offerings.  You can be someone's online personal assistant, for example, and much more. 

• Like 1

Babysitting is out, the raise in our home owners insurance would eat up any profit and I don't want to interrupt our homeschool days (not to mention I am kind of enjoying this stage of life right now baby free).

Okay, it doesn't sound like you really want to babysit, but what about babysitting at the kid's house? When I was a kid, babysitters came to me, not vice versa. Same with taking care of a pet at the pet's house. What about something like driving a school bus? Okay, well, I'm guessing you don't have a license for that, but there are also community organizations that pick people up from their home either for medical care or transport to a community / senior center, usually in a van. Maybe if it was worth your while you could get that sort of license? I agree about checking in to delivering newspapers, too.  Or phone books. Or like those niche market phone books (Arab American directory, you know what I'm talking about).

I would try local organizations and businesses, too. Make some connections, check back in regularly, and maybe someone will call you.

• Like 1

I am not sure casual babysitting would raise your homeowners insurance. I've done it and it hasn't come up.

One of the best baby sitting gigs is afterschool care, especially if the bus can drop the kid off at your house. I had to go pick the child up and it sounds like you don't have a car? But it was only 2.5 hours a day for a very nice third grade girl. I made her a healthy snack and she played with my kid until her parents came to get her. Sometimes I did a craft with them or I made cookies with all the kids. Really it wasn't anything I wasn't already doing with only my kid. I also offered to be on call for snow day, but they never took me up on it.

I got paid 65$ a week for ONE kid and that was the vast majority of my grocery money. I didn't need to be certified for one kid a couple hours a day.

• Like 3

This is legit although I don't know if you need to live locally, but the credit card company Capital One absolutely uses people who work from home on the phone. They have tests you need to pass. A relatively educated person would be fine.

I have a friend who does this work and it was great for her.

I think people who answer the Lands End type phones and Red Envelope aren't at a phone bank somewhere -- they're at home. I know because I had a problem w/ Red Envelope and the woman was clearly at her house and very helpful.

Alley

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Hmm, I can walk no where local. We are out in a rural suburb if that makes sense. Nothing in walking distance. Plus kids are with me 24/7, that is why I said in home and no driving and flexible time, meaning I can work when I have a few minutes, stop if needed and come back later.

I guess the insurance thing is that I am really cautious about that as a home owner. I personally know of a couple instances where people didn't inform the insurance company that they were doing X at home (one was babysitting, just 1 kid for $ another had rented out a room) and/or had X at home (like a trampoline) and their policies were cancelled or they wouldn't pay claims later after an investigation. 

Plus my hours are kind of wonky. So I couldn't commit to keeping a kid everyday after school. Although that is my backup plan if I REALLLLLLY needed money, but in that case the time thing would not matter (as in I would either be a widow or DH would be in a coma or we would be divorced or he would be out of work, so it is really my emergency backup plan as that pays well here and we have a school nearby).

I guess I am going to have to think about my original plan, get a car and offer homeschool classes at the local library or the like. There are no secular classes/coops here.....

Anyone teach classes on currclick?? I spoke to someone there (forgot her title) at the convention but she said she wanted at least 3 class ideas...I have a couple, but not 3 :tongue_smilie:.

• Like 1

make some spare change on the side from home? Like I would be thrilled with $100/month spare change.

This is only to add some $ to our homeschool budget. I would even be ok with amazon GCs or other GCs I could use for household items that would free up $ from the budget for homeschooling. We will not be homeless/starving/foregoing medical care without it.

I recall reading about Swagbucks and other sites, do those still exist, are they worth the time? I remember some one mentioned in a thread here a site with tasks and there was training/testing , but some I recall tried it out and not many made it through and the pay was really low.

I do not want to sell stuff, I am not crafty (I barely sew curtains with straight hems.... girl's skirts are my limit) and I can not go out and get a part time job (no transport, no family/friends nearby and DH has irregular hours) and I am not an animal person (except cats, but DH is allergic). It really needs to be something that I can do on the computer maybe an hour or 2 a day. I have not kept up any skills (like web design & programming and anyways I hated it when I did it, so no desire to go back) and I am no writer. Babysitting is out, the raise in our home owners insurance would eat up any profit and I don't want to interrupt our homeschool days (not to mention I am kind of enjoying this stage of life right now baby free). So now that I have shot down most of the commonly suggested ideas :lol: , anyone have an uncommon idea ??? :tongue_smilie:

You said you don't want to sell stuff...does that include baking?

Can you develop a specialty item and make it "knock your socks off" good?

I knew a woman who made cutout cookies and sold them for a good chunk of change...like about $1/ cookie for a 2-inch cookie.

• Like 2

You said you don't want to sell stuff...does that include baking?

Can you develop a specialty item and make it "knock your socks off" good?

I knew a woman who made cutout cookies and sold them for a good chunk of change...like about $1/ cookie for a 2-inch cookie.

OOOOH! Now you reminded me of something... I make a mean low carb brownie in a mug....I was thinking of packaging the mix (just add an egg and some butter) and selling them prepackaged in a mug.....wonder how much something like that would sell for.....

And what I would have to do to sell them from home......hmmmm

• Like 1

We truly make money with stock photos, a cafepress store, and... wait for it... surveys. Global Test Market to be exact. If you both do it you could pull off $80-$100 a month in about 15 minutes a day. I used to babysit and when things were really bad we donated plasma. I don't recommend either, especially the plasma.

• Like 1

I'll be making extra money this school year by homeschooling my nephew. $400/month to be exact for 4 days a week. Even finding someone who just needs relief for one day a week from homeschooling might be an option. Other ways I make extra money is by walking dogs in my neighborhood and the neighborhoods around me. Even if you don't love animals it can be worth it if the money is really needed. When I walking daily I make $60/week on one dog for a simple 15 minute walk. No traveling necessary since I can walk to the person's house.

• Like 1

OOOOH! Now you reminded me of something... I make a mean low carb brownie in a mug....I was thinking of packaging the mix (just add an egg and some butter) and selling them prepackaged in a mug.....wonder how much something like that would sell for.....

And what I would have to do to sell them from home......hmmmm

People sell mixes like that at craft fairs and farmers' markets.

Maybe scout out some in your area?

Also, this isn't $100/month, but here are two ways we're squeezing those last little pennies this year:

1. Our insurance company offers $200 per adult per year for completing "healthy challenges" during the year. 

2. We've switched our credit card to one that offers 6% cash back at supermarkets and gas stations. We can use the card at our supermarket to get gift cards for OTHER stores (like Amazon, Target) and get the 6% rebate. It works out to around $50/month.

3. We also put EVERYTHING on this card in order to get the flat 3% cash back rebate. Our utility bills, insurance, doctor's co-pays...everything we can think of. (If only we could charge our mortgage!!)

• Like 1

For tutoring you might see if you have Wyzant avaiable in your area?  I found some awesome reviews of tutors on Wyzant and I have heard it is pretty helpful to find people that are a good fit for the tutor and the student.

And if you have any homeschoolers in your area just offering like a 2 hour or 3 hour break on a particular afternoon every week might really help them and could bring in more money.  

Check out the cottage food industry law for your state. Maybe you don't have a law, which isn't good. If you do, maybe you can follow those guidelines and earn some dough.

Maybe you know someone who would like their child to have pre-school before kindergarten. You would only have to commit to 2-3 days a week for 3 hours or so each day.

Not for anything, but if your finances are so tight, why are you also supporting your in-laws?

My ILs are poor (truly, not USA poor) and in Islam if a parent is poor, you support them. I am fully behind supporting my ILs, it is right up there with paying the mortgage every month (our only debt). We are tight as in no fun money and no money for the extras, but all bills are paid, groceries bought (would I appreciate more room in the grocery budget? yes. Are we eating packaged foods to save $? no, more like I would love extra $ to experiment more with gluten free baking/paleo baking ,etc.) we have health insurance, a working car, gas for it, etc. We are by no means poor. We have an emergency fund, we could go get another car if we wanted (used, cash, not new). I hesitated to post this because I am really just looking for ideas for extra $ I can make as our budget is what it is. 

Check out the cottage food industry law for your state. Maybe you don't have a law, which isn't good. If you do, maybe you can follow those guidelines and earn some dough.

Yep, we have those here in CA. I was just reading them. I have to take a class and get a permit.

Gajejxnejeokene

:huh:  :huh:  spam? I noticed some accounts getting hacked recently...

I teach co-op classes.  Here the going rates are $20-$70 per student per month depending on the class you teach.

I think something homeschool related will be the way to go. I just need to see how best to make that work, online classes, local class once a week....etc.

I joined a couple GC websites as well as one survey place (I keep getting screened out of the surveys :lol: ), but in a bit of time I earned 0.30 :laugh: . I may look at ebaying some stuff for a while (the fees just irk me). Winter will be here soon and I have lots of gymboree clothes my youngest has outgrown.

• Like 2

I work for Virtual Office VA Staffing doing cold calls for real estate investors. I can easily make over $100.00/week.

So, do you like this? Do they pay well/on time. I see some things I could work on. Like the buyer qualifying. I used to be office manager and we had to do credit checks, etc. I also once had to hunt someone down online who scammed me so I could sue them (long story), but I learned quite a bit about how to do it.

So, do you like this? Do they pay well/on time. I see some things I could work on. Like the buyer qualifying. I used to be office manager and we had to do credit checks, etc. I also once had to hunt someone down online who scammed me so I could sue them (long story), but I learned quite a bit about how to do it.

They pay weekly, on Saturdays. What I do is make calls to sellers. Some people are jerks, but all in all it is okay. The people within the company are all really nice. They have (non mandatory) monthly where you can learn from others, ask questions of one another and such. They even give periodic raises and a Christmas bonus.

I hesitated to post this because I am really just looking for ideas for extra $ I can make as our budget is what it.

You don't need to justify why you would like to earn more money to anyone. We are financially in the same place as you. We pay the bills, have savings, but have little room for extras. That is why I pet sit and one reason I'll be teaching my nephew this year. That money will be for the extras and also paying down the mortgage, our only debt, faster.

I find it admirable that you'd take care of you in laws over the ability to live a little more comfortably!

I don't make $100 a month with the following things, probably closer to $30, unless I get really motivated and spend more time on Mturk, but every little bit helps! Here are some of the sites I use, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! A lot of this stuff I can do while surfing the internet without really paying much attention to it.

None of the following require a mobile phone. 

-Swagbucks---I do SB tv, the daily poll, NOSO's, and occasionally do an offer if I feel like it. 

-Bing Rewards https://www.bing.com/rewards/dashboard  For this one you search using the Bing search engine and get 1 point for every 2 searches, and you can earn so many points a day. You can then convert your earnings into either Swagbucks (SB), or Amazon gift cards, or some other gift cards whose names are escaping me right now. If you do sign up for this, sign up for SB first and see if they have an offer to get a certain amount of SB for signing up for Bing Rewards.

-Amazon Mturk. You do various tasks/surveys etc and any money earned can either be transferred to your amazon account (no minimums), or cashed out to a bank account ($10 minimum I think). You are limited to how many tasks/surveys (known as "hits") that you're allowed to do for the first 10 days

-PrizeRebel http://prizerebel.com--sort of like Swagbucks, has a ton of different gift cards you can earn. On this one, I do the "Daily points" section til it maxes out if I have time.

Also, this isn't $100/month, but here are two ways we're squeezing those last little pennies this year:

2. We've switched our credit card to one that offers 6% cash back at supermarkets and gas stations. We can use the card at our supermarket to get gift cards for OTHER stores (like Amazon, Target) and get the 6% rebate. It works out to around $50/month.

3. We also put EVERYTHING on this card in order to get the flat 3% cash back rebate. Our utility bills, insurance, doctor's co-pays...everything we can think of. (If only we could charge our mortgage!!)

Mind sharing what card you use? I have researched these offers before, but it helps to know someone who uses a card and is happy w/ the rewards.

Mind sharing what card you use? I have researched these offers before, but it helps to know someone who uses a card and is happy w/ the rewards.

We previously used Chase Freedom (Mastercard) and were happy with those rewards. 

We currently use the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred. There's an annual fee, and some restrictions, but we priced it out and we're definitely ahead of other cards that we would have used. Plus, you can only use AmEx or debit/check at Costco, so we were looking to switch.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...