Menu

Natural Horsemanship Training

caitlinsmom

My dd10 wants to learn how to train a horse.  She started with a trainer a couple of years ago but the trainer was undependable and we eventually stopped.  Now that she is older she would like to start working more independently, at least for part of the time.  We will find someone fully trained to help her of course.

Which method of natural horsemanship would you recommend starting with? 

I have found that a good trainer needs to be versed in more then one method. I prefer Clinton Anderson. Parelli has some great horse psychology and his games are great, but I have found that what you see on the videos, is rarely what's happening behind the scenes and following the videos can get really frustrating with some horse personality types. I combine him and Anderson. Well I did right up until I cracked my pelvis last winter. I haven't trained anything since then.

Yes she does and it has previous training so she's not starting from scratch.

I do like Clinton Anderson. I will admit my true love is dressage, and a lot of the more classical trainers are very much about achieving harmony and a partnership with the horse, i.e. Alois Podhajasky (The Complete Training of Horse and Rider). Depending on where you live, it may be easier to find a good classical dressage trainer versus a good natural horsemanship trainer. My unfortunate experience with a lot of natural horsemanship trainers is that they allow horses to run all over them. Obviously, this is NOT correct training, and I've seen no major clinician advocate it, but I have seen it in more local trainers. Anyway -- I have to second Dory's advice and recommend that you go for someone who is willing to incorporate many different methods.

Another thought: would it be possible for her to read some books and perhaps try some things on her own so she has an idea of which methods she prefers? Really, for any non-abusive method, the thing that matters most is that the trainer can use the method well and the horse understands and respects the trainer. I would not recommend this approach if you are not familiar enough with horses to at least make sure she is not inadvertently training the horse in rude or dangerous behaviors. If you are familiar with horses, though, it might be something to consider.

Also, if she is interested in true horsemanship, it's about so much more than training horses. I would place good horsemanship, regardless of training style, as your most important priority. Training horses is great, but horsemanship involves a whole lot more, from general stable management, to diagnosing and caring for illnesses and injuries, to knowing how to properly groom a horse, etc. Look for someone who puts his or her horses' wellbeing as the most important thing.