Menu

3 R's in 3 Days?

FromA2Z

I'm having the crazy notion of limiting implicit 3 r's instruction to 3 days a week, so we have time for projects, baking, science experiments, etc.   We currently have a four-day a week schedule as my dh only has Monday's off.  My eldest is starting 1st grade at 6 (May birthday).  He has finished LOE Foundations A-C and the 1st 10 lessons of D.  He is reading at a solid 2nd grade level possibly higher (but I haven't really tested him).  He reads things around him with ease (signs, instructions, Bible verses, workbook pages) struggling with some 3-5 syllable words (determining where to split syllables).  We have never struggled with phonics/reading lessons.  In Math he is a little more than 1/2 way through Right Start B.  We stopped lessons about 10 weeks ago before the dreaded rough spot in RS B and have just been playing math games.  He knows his 10 and 15 facts down pat, grasps place value, and can add any multiple of  5 and 10.  He recently has been figuring out 11, 12, 13, etc facts on his own.  So I think we will be able to get over the hump just fine.  His handwriting, well, that needs some work.  He can correctly form his letters.  But only wants to write in CAPS and it could be neater.  I let it slide last year b/c he was 5.

I wasn't planning on doing formal spelling (i.e. tests) until 3rd grade maybe 2nd and I'm not looking to accelerate math.  Science, history, geography excite him so I don't want to shove it under the rug.  It's what makes learning fun for him. 

Here's the plan:

Tuesday - Thursday:

TOG

History/Literature: Mom Read Aloud w/ some buddy reading - 15 Minutes 

Mapping Exercise (T), Lit Oral Narration/Sheet (W), History Oral Narration/Drawing (TH) - 15 Minutes

LOE Foundations D:

Phonogram & Spelling Rule Lesson/Review and Game, Dictate & Mark 5 Spelling Words (T), Vocab Lesson, Dictate & Mark 5 Spelling Words (W), Read Book/Reader & do Reading Comp exercises (TH). - 15 Minutes

English Lessons Through Literature

Mom Read Aloud 1 chapter and read Aesop Fable- 15 Minutes  (We may move chapter read-aloud to bed-time)

Copy 1 Sentence and go over Grammar- 15 Minutes

Outside Time/Lunch/Quiet Time - 3.5 Hours

RS B Math: 30 Minutes

Sassafrass Zoology

Mom Read Aloud with some buddy reading - 10 Minutes

Complete Animal & Habitat Sheet (T), Complete Animal Sheet & Vocab Words (W), Update Habitat and Food Charts (Th) - 10 Minutes

Piano Practice - 15 minutes

FRIDAY

TOG Project:  i.e. artwork, costume, tool/weapon, instrument, salt-dough map, diorama, etc.  (May involve some reading/writing)

**Optional: Wee Folk Art/Seasonal Craft and/or Baking with younger brother. (1-3 hours total as interested)

Nature Study at Nature Center w/ Picnic Lunch

Math Games (30 Minutes)

Science Demonstration (20 Minutes)  (Will occasionally do lab sheet/writing.)

Piano Practice = 15 Minutes

SATURDAY

Piano Lesson - 20 Minutes

Art Lesson/ Project 1 hour - while listening to classical kids cd.  

So per week for 3 R's we will do:

Reading/Spelling

Review all phonograms, learn new phonograms, read leveled book/reader, reading comprehension exercise

Buddy read 3-4 higher level books with Mom

Dictate and Mark 10 new spelling words

Review select spelling rules

Writing:

Copy 3 sentences

Do 3-4 Oral Narrations

Misc. Worksheet writing

Math

2-3 Lessons per week

30 Minutes of Math Games (plus occasional family games in the evening)

So anybody have experience with this.  Is this sufficient for a child who progresses well and (so far) has had no issues?

TIA

Kerry

I think you need to do math and phonics (sitting together and reading practice) daily, sorry. We did reading lessons 7 days a week when they were learning. I'm not talking worksheets or writing - but sitting and reading. On the good side - both subjects should not take more than 30 minutes combined. I just have seen at that age where the daily repetition is so huge to retention.

I think you need to do math and phonics (sitting together and reading practice) daily, sorry. We did reading lessons 7 days a week when they were learning. I'm not talking worksheets or writing - but sitting and reading. On the good side - both subjects should not take more than 30 minutes combined. I just have seen at that age where the daily repetition is so huge to retention.

If he is reading at 2nd grade level phonics may not be required. Maths could be done in 10 mins on the off days - think the OP isdoing maths games.