Menu

What do you use for a high school computer course?

Looking for an elective to meet state requirements in "keyboarding" or "computer applications" that needs to focus on using computers in business like office programs, etc.,   What in the world do you use?

This is for a teen boy who can do any kind of  programming, etc. already on the computer.  We just need to do something to say we did it and we have not had much use of office programs.  Any suggestions?   I saw a lifepac course (business something) but it said "keyboarding" was a prerequisite in the fine print.  

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Check your library.  Mine subscribes to lynda.com, Microsoft IT Academy, and Testing and Education Reference Center, all of which have computer tutorials of various kinds.

Free website: gcflearnfree.org also has very basic computer training.  Like, if you want to certify that he knows how to use a mouse.  This would be a "box checker" but probably not educational from what you've said about your son.

--Janet

Microsoft had free online tutorials for their programs: power point, word, excel, etc.

Now you tell me! I just bought a program of professor teaches... that had all the microsoft programs.  My teens are using typing instructor platinum for keyboarding and then that program for word, excel and powerpoint this year.

My kids all worked through Jan's Computer Literacy 101. If you do it online it is all free. They did it as elementary / middle schoolers - and we didn't have to do it in high school here in TN. I just told our umbrella school my kids had all done it already and they did programming instead. 

If you are sure he has to do it, let him work through the 'advanced' stuff in Excel, Word, Powerpoint etc. At least it will be useful. And if you do really advanced Excel there is a lot of programming involved. Udemy also has lots of course that would be applicable - and many are free.