Menu

JAWM Lost library books

Like many homeschoolers, I use the library to augment our studies for the year. Two of the books, not one but TWO, are lost. The library doesn't have them. I was counting on the library having those books when I made my plans.  :wacko:

Yes, I can use alternative titles. It's just.... :banghead:

Sigh.

I understand lost books happen ... but I wish my library would REMOVE them from the online catalog if they don't plan on rebuying them!  :huh:  :cursing:

:iagree: I just called to see if the books were being replaced, and they were lost back in November! If I'd'a known....

I'm thinking it's time to join Gil with those pitchforks and torches and beg the library to replace them. :lol:

Our library allows you to make wish lists of their books for future reading. Last year I went through the SOTW activity guide and created a list of all the books it recommended that our library carried. When I prepared to start SOTW last month I discovered that over half the books were no longer available. Some had gone missing, but most the library just got rid of. :(

I ended up buying all our books for the year since I can't trust the library to have the books available.

Our library allows you to make wish lists of their books for future reading. Last year I went through the SOTW activity guide and created a list of all the books it recommended that our library carried. When I prepared to start SOTW last month I discovered that over half the books were no longer available. Some had gone missing, but most the library just got rid of. :(

I ended up buying all our books for the year since I can't trust the library to have the books available.

Just got rid of?!? :svengo:

Lucky me, many of the ones they get rid of at the big library show up at my used book seller. :D But, yeah. It stinks if they don't.

I think small library and limited trips to the big one may be a reason why I don't tie my literature and history or literature and science together! Too hard to coordinate.

Oh boy. Libraries typically weed throughout the year to remove dated, gross, damaged, or unused materials. It's a necessary evil, otherwise materials would be too yucky or in bad shape to use, plus they must make room for new stuff. I would ask to speak with the branch manager and kindly advocate for materials for your homeschool. I'm a former branch manager myself and was always happy to accommodate patron requests within reason.

If you have access to Inter-Library Loans, you can see if other libraries in your local network has the titles you want. Or if there is a teacher's college nearby, they may allow you to have borrowing privileges. Worth a try if you don't want to buy the books.

You may be able to find the audio version either free or for a small cost on-line. I know that there is a good website for audio books, but I can't remember it now. If someone could recommend one, that would be great!

Used book stores and yard sales can be perfect places to find some neat older titles for very small costs.  I know of some people who carry around book lists for future curriculum, and when they find a title used they snap it up. It can take a while to complete (or partially complete) the list, but it feels great to know you own the titles for a wonderful price.

I've never been organized enough to carry lists, but when I see a used book title I know I'll be using in the future I buy it.

My libraries both show in the system if a book is lost, but you have to click on the individual book and look at its availability. That's where it will say it's at xyz branch or on abc shelf or "lost, never to be found again". (it doesn't really say that)

Thankfully, I've seen that very rarely, but it has happened to me as well. I'm happy to be using curricula this year that don't rely on extra books. We can add them to round it out, or we can skip them and just do the main text. So much easier on my blood pressure! :D

Our library also just gets rid of books quite often. It took me a little while to understand that we were speeding the process along by checking out books that hadn't been circulated in awhile. If a book comes to their attention as being "old" when someone checks it out, then it may be tossed in the sell pile when it comes back. I can see when they're tagged and I didn't understand at first that meant they might never be on the shelf again. Some of these are books that I intend to check out multiple times. So far I've just stopped returning them until I'm sure I'm done. There's no fines for overdue materials and the old books don't even have proper catalog information attached so I know they won't penalize me for not returning. But in the future if I take one out then I'm planning to just flag the children's librarian and see what her plans are for the book. If it's about to go to the library sale pile, I'll just lose it and make a donation to the library later probably.

This makes me nuts, but I'm not sure how to combat it. :(

Farrarwilliams, on the other hand, libraries usually use checkout stats to make weeding decisions. If you check it out enough, or get friends to, the library will keep it unless it's really falling apart. I've heard of someone checking out her favorite classics every year, even though she owns them, to make sure the library keeps them.

Librarians are humans, too. A lot of this frustration can be relieved by just speaking with management and advocating for quality materials. 

I will say, I had several negative experiences with patrons over the years that involved them demanding out of print or obscure titles that would be costly, take up valuable shelf real estate, or just never be used by anyone else. In those cases ILL is best. 

Our library also just gets rid of books quite often. It took me a little while to understand that we were speeding the process along by checking out books that hadn't been circulated in awhile. If a book comes to their attention as being "old" when someone checks it out, then it may be tossed in the sell pile when it comes back. I can see when they're tagged and I didn't understand at first that meant they might never be on the shelf again. Some of these are books that I intend to check out multiple times. So far I've just stopped returning them until I'm sure I'm done. There's no fines for overdue materials and the old books don't even have proper catalog information attached so I know they won't penalize me for not returning. But in the future if I take one out then I'm planning to just flag the children's librarian and see what her plans are for the book. If it's about to go to the library sale pile, I'll just lose it and make a donation to the library later probably.

Seriously?  That's pretty nuts.

I used to think that librarians were people who loved books.  But I'm not sure how much that is the case anymore. 

Though to be fair, I think the number of patrons coming in to most of the libraries we've used who came for the books (vs. free computer use, a place to sleep, a place to use the bathroom while smoking on the corner, air conditioning, a free place for their kid to go afterschool, or entertainment dvds) is just a small percentage.  I think I'd get pretty discouraged about book use too.

At one small library, I used to make quarterly emails to the body that oversaw the library, just to complement the library to the powers that be who made decisions on funding. 

I usually search the electronic card catalog & put the books on my list for the following year. When the time comes to check it out, I go physically looking for the book. Amazingly, it is often not on the shelves. The head librarian seriously doesn't like it when I ask her for help looking for a book and it turns out that it is missing. Her behavior toward me almost makes me think she would rather not know the book is missing -- so I should just keep my mouth shut. 

I also get frustrated when the library buries good children's fiction books in the non-fiction stacks ... and then tosses them out because they haven't been checked out in eons. So, I feel your pain!  :grouphug:

I used to think that librarians were people who loved books.  But I'm not sure how much that is the case anymore. 

Aww, no fair!! I don't have an MLS, but I worked as a young adult library assistant (in our system, this job required doing the same work as the librarian with lower pay), and our librarians did love the books. But we had to manage the collection, which sometimes meant weeding things out. I had to get rid of many books I personally loved, because we didn't have room on the shelves, and they weren't being checked out.

Today's librarians have to be knowledgeable not only about books but also about technology, so the job has gotten more complex over time.

Though to be fair, I think the number of patrons coming in to most of the libraries we've used who came for the books (vs. free computer use, a place to sleep, a place to use the bathroom while smoking on the corner, air conditioning, a free place for their kid to go afterschool, or entertainment dvds) is just a small percentage.  I think I'd get pretty discouraged about book use too.

At one small library, I used to make quarterly emails to the body that oversaw the library, just to complement the library to the powers that be who made decisions on funding. 

I figured out as kid that some did and some didn't.  There was no middle ground.  I even devised a test to quickly figure out who was who.  Make huge stack of library books.  Use creative stacking if necessary.  Carry books around the library.  Out of the corner of your eye, look for smiles or frowns.  Every librarian that sees you will have one or the other.  Only talk to the smilers.  

Our library system is used for all that as well.  I actually have no problem with that.  In some communities there's really good homeless outreach in the libraries and I think that can be a really positive thing.  The various uses of libraries don't have to be at odds with each other.

I also understand that they have to weed out books.  They should weed out books...  Books that are outdated (computer books from the 80's have no place in the library now, really) and books that are falling apart (I think many people are surprised at how quickly a library can go through popular bestsellers).  But I just want them to also keep a solid retrospective collection.  They do better than some others, but still...  Alas...

It's soul crushing to see contempt for the protectors of our right to information and freedom to read. I know that there are some bad librarians out there as in any field, but truly, most of us care very much about having a balanced collection which includes great literature, newer technology to bridge the digital divide, and the resources to defend your access to information -- all while dealing with a dreadful 2 decades of declining funding and increasing scrutiny by public officials. Every time money gets tight, libraries and parks are the first places to see deep cuts. If you want better libraries, advocate for them! Demand they have funding. And volunteer your time if you can to help make it a better place. 

This has happened to me too.  A lot of the books that went along with SOTW1 that were carried in our library system were taken out after I checked them out.  They were old and I had somehow dug them off the shelves to be discarded.  I am glad I noticed many of them on the sale shelf on the way out of the library, but it was a bit unnerving to find that a lot of what I was checking out was being discarded!  FWIW, the books were not damaged.  They were just old and had not been used much in recent years.  

Oh, and it did teach me not to pre-check out books for SOTW - because they might just get rid of them if I did! 

:grouphug:

Librarians are humans, too. A lot of this frustration can be relieved by just speaking with management and advocating for quality materials. 

I will say, I had several negative experiences with patrons over the years that involved them demanding out of print or obscure titles that would be costly, take up valuable shelf real estate, or just never be used by anyone else. In those cases ILL is best. 

Librarymama - hugs. :grouphug: My local librarians are wonderful men and women who spend a lot of time and effort to maintain a balanced book collection for the community. They offer marvelous activities for babies through teens that my children participate in.

As a mother of young children and puppies, I've had library books in my possession lost or damaged. It happens.

I understand the librarians keeping the book in the catalogue because we have a year to find it.

I understand the library, like us all, has a limited budget and limited shelves. There's only so much room and money.

ILL won't work as I need the books for a specific week. I have too little control over when the book arrives with ILL, so I will use alternative titles.

This Just Agree With Me post was simply because I was frustrated :banghead: because I never thought to check if the books were lost, nor did the catalogue indicate they were lost. I based my plans on those books. There are other titles I can use though. It's merely frustrating, and certainly not something I'd complain to the librarians about. My librarians are awesome. I simply thought to relieve some frustration here instead. I'm sorry you were hurt by this thread.  :grouphug: