Menu

I need a get-it-done Science...

for my 9th grader...she likes to do Science alone in a textbook format then answer questions. A virtual lab is just fine. She plans on being a music major and the colleges she's interested require 1-2 science credit with labs. We are creationist minded/old earth, if that helps.

My internet had a hiccup and my previous post disappeared so this one is short and sweet. TIA.

It might help if you tell us what branch of science you're interested in, what she's already done, and where her math is.

My DS who thinks science is kryptonite has done well with Biology by Miller/Levine. Without more details I'd read the stickied science threads. They're a wealth of information.

She will be doing Algebra this year. For 8th she did Concepts and Challenges 3. We would prefer a Christian based with old earth view but I'm not opposed to a chapter in evolution as long as we can meet our educational goal.

I'm looking for a science that would appeal to a music major that is allergic to science and fulfills the science credit for college....if that makes any sense.

Is the Biology with Miller/Levine the one with the dragonfly on the cover? I keep seeing that one in the threads. Apologia is another I keep seeing but I think it is new earth.

My son just started Apologia General Science. There is a daily schedule. He reads the textbook, about three pages, and does one experiment, and answers some questions. It is totally streamlined and independent. I am very happy about it. The student notebook has the schedule and everything in it with space for writing the answers to the questions. He is 11.5 and likes it. I never know science can be so easy. Wr have done all the elementary apologia books with me reading aloud to both boys and they did some writing and note taking informally. That was more parent involved than this middle school science. It gets done without me!

Miler/Levine is the dragonfly cover. There's also a newer macaw cover edition. This is secular.

Apologia is very young earth. This flopped for my DS. Miller/Levine's clearly identified lessons and extra helps were far more palatable for him. He knows about how much work to expect because it's broken into daily bites. Apologia has one chapter spread across two weeks and expects you to sort out your own scheduling. It ended up being a week or so of read, answer quesions and do experiments, and a week of completing the study guide, study, take the test.

I highly recommend Abeka's high science books for anyone who wants a good textbook based high school science program.  It has tests and quizzes and end of chapter review questions.  It is (IMO) a solid high textbook with an appropriate amount of work for high school without being overwhelming.  I have used biology and chemistry so far, and dd will be using the physical science book this fall.

And sets can usually be found fairly inexpensively at Ebay, if you don't want to buy directly from Abeka.

(BJU textbooks are just too much for my non-math/science kid. And the public school/college textbooks give me a headache with all the graphics and overload of problems to choose from at the end of each chapter.)

I'll second this.  And you can get the Kolbe syllabus for it which will break it down into lessons, and give you tests.

I didn't need this or wish I had it at all, but for someone who wants plans, I think this is a great option. I loved the textbook and this would make it more homeschool friendly.

Ds used BJU science.  It definitely fits the bill in terms of question/answers, Old Earth viewpoint.  

BJU is young earth. Probably THE most decisively young earth curriculum on the market. It is also not get-it-done science. It is quite rigorous. It would be a terrible choice for a science hater.

Apologia is much more in the get-it-done category, but tends toward the dry side which doesn't exactly draw the science hater. We used their Chemistry with ds who was uninterested and it was solid, on-level but not above, Chemistry. No frills. 

If she likes video lessons, check out the DIVE science courses.  You can read lessons online or with any text of your choice, it's already broken out into a daily schedule with a syllabus available for whatever text you're using, and the labs are on the videos.  The student workbook for review questions and lab write-ups can be done in PDF or printed, and the tests come with the download/CD.  If you sign up for the eLearning course, the workbook/labs/tests are all done online and graded for you. All you supply is the preferred text reading.

ETA to add that it does teach youth earth, but it was only addressed once in the Integrated Chem/Physics course DS took last year.